Apr 20 2013
By: dreken First Son 4 posts

Changing PSN ID with launch of PS4

51 replies 23865 views Edited Apr 20, 2013

As the topic states, can we/will we be able to change our PSN ID's with the launch of the ps4? I know Japan has had the ability to change their PSN ID's for some time now. I feel that similar to changing you Xbox Live Gamertag, we shoudl be able to change our ID's but be able to keep our trophies (achievements) and everything else associated with our ID.

So will we be able to change our PSN ID's?

Message 1 of 52 (23,865 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1020 posts

Re: Changing PSN ID with launch of PS4

Apr 20, 2013
There are several threads about this on the first 5 pages. Please search in the future before posting something others have been/will be asking.

The answer is no one knows. However given PS previous stance it would seem unlikely.
Message 2 of 52 (23,854 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

Apr 20, 2013

for feature reference use the search option and search the forums. We have had multiple topics as this one within the last week. I heard we might be able to but we are not sure. Just wait till the ps4 drops.

Message 3 of 52 (23,853 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 20, 2013

dreken wrote:

As the topic states, can we/will we be able to change our PSN ID's with the launch of the ps4? I know Japan has had the ability to change their PSN ID's for some time now. I feel that similar to changing you Xbox Live Gamertag, we shoudl be able to change our ID's but be able to keep our trophies (achievements) and everything else associated with our ID.

welcome to the PS forum

here is one mega thread about your topic

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Please-add-the-ability-to-change-your-PSN...

Message 4 of 52 (23,849 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

Apr 20, 2013

dreken wrote:

You're just changing consoles. Why would you think that you're going to change your PSN ID?

Message 5 of 52 (23,842 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Apr 20, 2013

To cater to alarger clintel base deciding to either switch from Xbox or not. It would be a small change thats nice for those who have been with PS and for those who are switching.

Message 6 of 52 (23,833 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

Apr 20, 2013

dreken wrote:

To cater to alarger clintel base deciding to either switch from Xbox or not. It would be a small change thats nice for those who have been with PS and for those who are switching.

And it always comes back to "but... but... but... but... Microsoft?!?!'. You honestly think that the ability to change your PSN ID name is going to somehow lead to a groundswell of users coming to the PS3, in some sort of mass exodus from the 360? If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

For Sale! The Brooklyn Bridge

Here's an idea; rather than taking for granted that all systems are homogeneous, and then when finding out they're not begging and pleading with Sony so that they will make them homogeneous, why not put more thought into a name that you're going to be using permenantly?

Message 7 of 52 (23,819 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 20, 2013

Sony should let us change our usernames. Why not?

Message 8 of 52 (23,809 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10871 posts

Apr 20, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Because they already tell you when you are creating your PSN ID to choose your name carefully.  You cannot change the Birthdate on your account for security reasons, and you cannot change your PSN ID, probably because of logistical reasons.  You can already change the login email attached to your PSN ID, if you could change your PSN ID as well, how would Sony track it?  Your PSN ID is your Account Name (much like a bank account number), it is what Sony tracks you by and attaches your trophies, purchases and other data to.

Message 9 of 52 (23,803 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 20, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Because they already tell you when you are creating your PSN ID to choose your name carefully.  You cannot change the Birthdate on your account for security reasons, and you cannot change your PSN ID, probably because of logistical reasons.  You can already change the login email attached to your PSN ID, if you could change your PSN ID as well, how would Sony track it?  Your PSN ID is your Account Name (much like a bank account number), it is what Sony tracks you by and attaches your trophies, purchases and other data to.

This does not make any sense to me though. Other companies allow their customers to change their usernames, so it seems like it can work if Sony wanted to. I hear in Japan they let people change their usernames. So it looks like Sony can find a way to track people even after they change their usernames.  I am not ssaying Sony owes us a name change, just think it would be nice for them to allow us change our names, for a fee if they really want to gain something out of it. lol  I mean, I like my name, but there are many people that want it.

Message 10 of 52 (23,799 Views)