Jul 10 2013
By: Setzaroth Limit Breaker 18676 posts

Confirmed YLOD fix?

3 replies 100 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

Here's a video I found where the user supposedly fixes the infamous YLOD in real time (speeds up monotonous parts)

Apparently all you need to do is re-apply the thermal compound? If this is true, SONY is really gouging us on the repairs. 

I hope this works because I want to fix my 80GB model.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 1 of 4 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2631 posts

Re: Confirmed YLOD fix?

Jul 10, 2013

My first PS3 was the 80 GB motostorm bundle.  I've done that "fix" about 3 times on it before it completely died.  Each time lasted about a month before it would YLOD.  It kept dying after each firmware update from my experiences back in 2010.

The phat PS3 will turn on again once you replace the thermal grease.  But the fix is only temporary.  I hear these new PS3 games like the Last of Us are destroying the left over phat PS3s.  Pretty impressive you had the Phat 80 GB this long lol.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 2 of 4 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 10, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

My first PS3 was the 80 GB motostorm bundle.  I've done that "fix" about 3 times on it before it completely died.  Each time lasted about a month before it would YLOD.  It kept dying after each firmware update from my experiences back in 2010.

The phat PS3 will turn on again once you replace the thermal grease.  But the fix is only temporary.  I hear these new PS3 games like the Last of Us are destroying the left over phat PS3s.  Pretty impressive you had the Phat 80 GB this long lol.

Yes, and now that you mention that, it was the same bundle. Haha, memories.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 3 of 4 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Jul 10, 2013
"Now, we'll spread the thermal paste with a credit card..."

Argh... Now you'll introduce air bubbles. Good video nevertheless.
Message 4 of 4 (49 Views)
0 Likes