Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Re: Cross-Game Chat In New PS3

Sep 16, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:

They could always come out with a RAM expander via usb stick; much like the n64's expansion pack.

Don't see that happening, and it won't make that much difference. From what I know of programming, if a game is made to only use a certain amount of RAM, then it will only use that RAM. Besides, would you really want to have to deal with all the outraged gamers who'd be screaming about how Sony was ripping them off, mainly because they had to be USB RAM to use that feature? 

They could just let you use any flash drive. They're like 5-10 bucks now. And they could assign that extra 256 MB or so to the OS which could enable cross game chat and hopefully more custom soundtracks.

Message 11 of 27 (223 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28529 posts

Sep 16, 2012

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:

They could always come out with a RAM expander via usb stick; much like the n64's expansion pack.

Don't see that happening, and it won't make that much difference. From what I know of programming, if a game is made to only use a certain amount of RAM, then it will only use that RAM. Besides, would you really want to have to deal with all the outraged gamers who'd be screaming about how Sony was ripping them off, mainly because they had to be USB RAM to use that feature? 

They could just let you use any flash drive. They're like 5-10 bucks now. And they could assign that extra 256 MB or so to the OS which could enable cross game chat and hopefully more custom soundtracks.

Again, I don't see them dedicating time and resources to that. Also you want everyone that buys the console to have consisten specs, and not have them buy add-ons, or hardware upgrades. 

Message 12 of 27 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Sep 16, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:

Again, I don't see them dedicating time and resources to that. Also you want everyone that buys the console to have consisten specs, and not have them buy add-ons, or hardware upgrades. 

Most people have flash drives lying around though. And if they care about cross game chat enough, they just go out and grab one cheap.

Message 13 of 27 (214 Views)
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Sep 17, 2012

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:

Most people have flash drives lying around though. And if they care about cross game chat enough, they just go out and grab one cheap.

Thats based on the assumption that "most people" have flash/usb/thumb drives just "lying around"...... I sure dont..... I've never used a portable storage device.

So that would mean, i'd have to spend MORE MONEY on a console just to have a particular feature...... much like X360 has been doing with its preipherals.... On launch day, you'd spend $800 on an X360 to have Wifi, larger hdd, and a few other odds-n-ends to be able to compete with the PS3's all inclusive price tag.....

Thats one of the main selling points the PS3 had upon its launch.... $600 got you EVERYTHING.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 14 of 27 (196 Views)
MVP Support
8864 posts

Sep 17, 2012
Alot of people have flashdrives nowadays, and if you don't you could pick one up for less than $15.

Message 15 of 27 (192 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28529 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Not for nothing, but do you really want an add-on that didn't work all that well on the Nintendo 64? The only thing that's changed is now it's fifteen years later. 

Message 16 of 27 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:
Alot of people have flashdrives nowadays, and if you don't you could pick one up for less than $15.

Suggesting people to use any flashdrive as "RAM" (aka. Swap Space, Paging File or Virtual Memory) sounds like a disaster ready to happen. Not all flash drives are equal, some are slower and some are faster. Unfortunately, most Flash Drives these days are those clearance cheap flashdrives that give 2-4MB/s. Which is just slow, really. I even had an 8GB flashdrive that outputted 1MB/s (!) that was uselessly slow.

And the inconsistent quality of Flash drives gives inconsistent results. Say hello to intermittent lag!

Message 17 of 27 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:

It is STILL an additional cost...... while I'm not worried about spending money, its the principle of the matter that means i have to spend MORE MONEY..... I don't like when I am being nickle-and-dimed-to-death, like I was when I first had my X360.

Plus, not many people are in the same economic situation..... even making $40k annual salary (national average) doesnt leave much for someone to actually want to SPEND money on a lot of things..... even living on your own, your bills might be low, but being on a restricted budget, restricts your financial decisions.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 18 of 27 (181 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Sep 17, 2012
I don't think you would be able to use just any usb flashdrive. It's more likely for Sony to produce some sort of add-on. Though costing a little extra money, people would still have the option.
Message 19 of 27 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Sep 17, 2012

Dominator142 wrote:
I don't think you would be able to use just any usb flashdrive. It's more likely for Sony to produce some sort of add-on. Though costing a little extra money, people would still have the option.

Sony doesn't have the best track record in using proprietary products.....

Furiously Chaosing
Message 20 of 27 (171 Views)
0 Likes