Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
593 posts

Re: Cross-Game Chat In New PS3

Sep 17, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:
Alot of people have flashdrives nowadays, and if you don't you could pick one up for less than $15.

Suggesting people to use any flashdrive as "RAM" (aka. Swap Space, Paging File or Virtual Memory) sounds like a disaster ready to happen. Not all flash drives are equal, some are slower and some are faster. Unfortunately, most Flash Drives these days are those clearance cheap flashdrives that give 2-4MB/s. Which is just slow, really. I even had an 8GB flashdrive that outputted 1MB/s (!) that was uselessly slow.

And the inconsistent quality of Flash drives gives inconsistent results. Say hello to intermittent lag!

All of my this.  Besides, what if someone else doesn't have a flash drive?  This would totally divide the PSN community.  Let it go, people.  The PS3 has RAM limitations, and it is never getting Cross Game Chat.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 27 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Oct 16, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:

They could always come out with a RAM expander via usb stick; much like the n64's expansion pack.

Don't see that happening, and it won't make that much difference. From what I know of programming, if a game is made to only use a certain amount of RAM, then it will only use that RAM. Besides, would you really want to have to deal with all the outraged gamers who'd be screaming about how Sony was ripping them off, mainly because they had to be USB RAM to use that feature? 

They could just let you use any flash drive. They're like 5-10 bucks now. And they could assign that extra 256 MB or so to the OS which could enable cross game chat and hopefully more custom soundtracks.

Again, I don't see them dedicating time and resources to that. Also you want everyone that buys the console to have consisten specs, and not have them buy add-ons, or hardware upgrades. 

Most people have flash drives lying around though. And if they care about cross game chat enough, they just go out and grab one cheap.

Thats based on the assumption that "most people" have flash/usb/thumb drives just "lying around"...... I sure dont..... I've never used a portable storage device.

So that would mean, i'd have to spend MORE MONEY on a console just to have a particular feature...... much like X360 has been doing with its preipherals.... On launch day, you'd spend $800 on an X360 to have Wifi, larger hdd, and a few other odds-n-ends to be able to compete with the PS3's all inclusive price tag.....

Thats one of the main selling points the PS3 had upon its launch.... $600 got you EVERYTHING.

Cool except aren't you the same guy that said I should just "buy all three systems" in the backwards compatiblity thread? Surely with $4.99 4GB flash drives being sold at places like Microcenter, it wouldn't cost you as much as buying all three Playstations would.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 27 (188 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15152 posts

Oct 16, 2012

WithDreday wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

WithDreday wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:

They could always come out with a RAM expander via usb stick; much like the n64's expansion pack.

Don't see that happening, and it won't make that much difference. From what I know of programming, if a game is made to only use a certain amount of RAM, then it will only use that RAM. Besides, would you really want to have to deal with all the outraged gamers who'd be screaming about how Sony was ripping them off, mainly because they had to be USB RAM to use that feature? 

They could just let you use any flash drive. They're like 5-10 bucks now. And they could assign that extra 256 MB or so to the OS which could enable cross game chat and hopefully more custom soundtracks.

Again, I don't see them dedicating time and resources to that. Also you want everyone that buys the console to have consisten specs, and not have them buy add-ons, or hardware upgrades. 

Most people have flash drives lying around though. And if they care about cross game chat enough, they just go out and grab one cheap.

Thats based on the assumption that "most people" have flash/usb/thumb drives just "lying around"...... I sure dont..... I've never used a portable storage device.

So that would mean, i'd have to spend MORE MONEY on a console just to have a particular feature...... much like X360 has been doing with its preipherals.... On launch day, you'd spend $800 on an X360 to have Wifi, larger hdd, and a few other odds-n-ends to be able to compete with the PS3's all inclusive price tag.....

Thats one of the main selling points the PS3 had upon its launch.... $600 got you EVERYTHING.

Cool except aren't you the same guy that said I should just "buy all three systems" in the backwards compatiblity thread? Surely with $4.99 4GB flash drives being sold at places like Microcenter, it wouldn't cost you as much as buying all three Playstations would.

That wasn't the context in what I meant at all........ you should re-read what I said a few times over to let it sink it.

I understand that logical thought and common sense escapes a lot of peoples ideas these days...... apparently when something "makes too much sense" the idea is immediately thought of as a 'Bad idea'.

Just trust me and others who have already said "no"........ not going to happen, ever. at all.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 27 (182 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24070 posts

Oct 16, 2012

Regardless, this isn't going to happen. Even in the remote possibility it does, and I mean as remote as Mole Men rising from the center of the Earth to rule as our overlords, I can just imagine the outrage and the countless "C'MON SONY!!" topics, over having to buy an add-on to use a feature.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 27 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Oct 16, 2012

BoobooJones wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Emerald_Swords wrote:
Alot of people have flashdrives nowadays, and if you don't you could pick one up for less than $15.

Suggesting people to use any flashdrive as "RAM" (aka. Swap Space, Paging File or Virtual Memory) sounds like a disaster ready to happen. Not all flash drives are equal, some are slower and some are faster. Unfortunately, most Flash Drives these days are those clearance cheap flashdrives that give 2-4MB/s. Which is just slow, really. I even had an 8GB flashdrive that outputted 1MB/s (!) that was uselessly slow.

And the inconsistent quality of Flash drives gives inconsistent results. Say hello to intermittent lag!

All of my this.  Besides, what if someone else doesn't have a flash drive?  This would totally divide the PSN community.  Let it go, people.  The PS3 has RAM limitations, and it is never getting Cross Game Chat.

As I said before though, flash drives are mega cheap now. And any one in college or high school should have one for school work anyway, and they can be used for music storage etc too, so it's not like people who bought one wouldn't get their money's worth.

I don't see what the big deal is. Either you want it or you don't.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 27 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 26, 2013
Even the PS Vita has cross chat abiltiy.
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 27 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3362 posts

Sep 26, 2013
This topic is now locked. Please be mindful of dates when responding to a thread.
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 27 (68 Views)