Do you mean 
Mar 29 2013
By: Sir-Climhazzard PlayStation MVP 7204 posts
  • Find more conversations like this:
  • Other

Dark Cloud 3 Official Petition

[ Edited ]
41 replies 9575 views Edited Mar 7, 2014

Flipping through my RPG collection the other day, I pulled out Dark Cloud 2 and as soon as I saw the cover, I instantly had the itching to do a playthrough of both games. I personally found Dark Cloud 2 my absolute favorite action-RPG for PS2. CEO of Level-5, Akihiro Hino, has stated in interviews that Dark Cloud 3 is always "on the table" for discussion but unless there is enough buzz from the RPG community, it will not be a top of the list priority for the company. With PlayStation 4 on the horizon... perhaps be we can spark some interest in this series again - but I will need the help of all of you fine ladies and gentlemen in order to get anything significant started.

I'd like to get a list going of users who would love to see a Dark Cloud 3 in the future, and if we could possibly get enough people interested, and have everyone share the link to this thread with their friends, maybe we could get a good list going and send it to Level-5 as a "hey, we DO want Dark Cloud 3... Please!"

Thanks, all!

Dark Cloud 2

People Supporting Development of Dark Cloud 3

List updated on January 10, 2014.

Edit: Added label. Want to learn more about labels? Click here! -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 42 (9,575 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11177 posts

Re: Plead for Dark Cloud 3

Mar 29, 2013

Personally, I really liked the first Dark Cloud. Having played the second one a few years later though... the sequel didn't capture as much interest for me. The game certainly changed quite a bit, as now the game was staged around all-new characters with in my opinion a more unusual plot going on (evil ringmaster? meh!). The gameplay and other qualities of the game didn't sync up in the same manner as with the previous game, and with being less appreciative of everything from the revised gameplay to the graphics my interest for the game soon went out the window. While I'd like to see more games from Level-5 in the future, I'm not sure regenerating buzz for the Dark Cloud series would be the best idea.

Message 2 of 42 (9,572 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Mar 29, 2013

I never got a chance to play the Dark Cloud games, though I always meant to hunt them down but fear it will never end up happening.  But level 5 had become one of my favourite developers.  They just do amazing stuff from the world they created with Proffessor Layton to Ni No Kuni which is one of the most magical RPG's I've played.  I mean yes it follows a lot of RPG tropes and has to do with saving the world etc.  But the level of polish is stunning and it does it with so much flare and style!  A well dressed man or woman walking down the street still makes a good impression and oozes class even if the clothes they are wearing is a style you have seen many times and not some never before seen alien clothe from Mars.

So, er yeah.  I have seen a few comments about poeple bashing Ni No Kuni cause people said it wasn't unique enough and followed all the same RPG conventions.  And I agree we continually do need new fresh experiences and I do wish more RPG's experimented with story and tried different things. I have a number of ideas of stories I think would make really cool RPG's that do not involve saving the world at all.  But on the other side of the token, if a story is told well, it will be enjoyable and very good regardless of how unique it is.  And Ni No Kuni is told incredibly well and manages a lot of very touching moments on top of that.  It just shows the immense talent of the folks at Level 5 and sets them as one of the best game studios in the world.   They made a game worthy of the incredible Studio Ghibli art and I'll never be able to stop gushing about that game.  

Anyhoo long story short (to late I know) if Level 5 made a Dark Cloud 3 I would be happy because I missed out on the earlier games and have heard a lot of great things, and a new RPG by Level 5 is always something to get excited about.  So count me in.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 3 of 42 (9,566 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Mar 30, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Personally, I really liked the first Dark Cloud. Having played the second one a few years later though... the sequel didn't capture as much interest for me. The game certainly changed quite a bit, as now the game was staged around all-new characters with in my opinion a more unusual plot going on (evil ringmaster? meh!). The gameplay and other qualities of the game didn't sync up in the same manner as with the previous game, and with being less appreciative of everything from the revised gameplay to the graphics my interest for the game soon went out the window. While I'd like to see more games from Level-5 in the future, I'm not sure regenerating buzz for the Dark Cloud series would be the best idea.

Did you play the entirety of Dark Cloud 2? The story develops into much more than an evil ringmaster after the first town.

It's good to know we have a variety of opinions on the games though, everyone I've ever talked to about the series up to this point thinks Dark Cloud 2 is an absolute 100% improvement over the first game. The first game was a little bit more experimental, trial-and-error, by the second game I felt like they had a really good grasp on what parts of Dark Cloud 1 were mediocre, and scrapped those pieces and just kept what was good for 2. But that's just my opinion obviously.

Message 4 of 42 (9,556 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11177 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

Did you play the entirety of Dark Cloud 2? The story develops into much more than an evil ringmaster after the first town.

It's good to know we have a variety of opinions on the games though, everyone I've ever talked to about the series up to this point thinks Dark Cloud 2 is an absolute 100% improvement over the first game. The first game was a little bit more experimental, trial-and-error, by the second game I felt like they had a really good grasp on what parts of Dark Cloud 1 were mediocre, and scrapped those pieces and just kept what was good for 2. But that's just my opinion obviously.

Out of what I did play of Dark Cloud 2 at the time wasn't too much. I must've made it somewhere along the first town area before I gave up and stopped playing. Between the two I know it wasn't like that with the first one since I wasn't bothered by the way the game developed. I suppose with the second one having in my opinion more of a story that was weird put me off it. That and the somewhat different gameplay mechanics at the time didn't lock me into my seat. You also have to keep in mind that it was about three years between the two. What I remembered liking about Dark Cloud in the year 2003 didn't follow-up in the later version.

Message 5 of 42 (9,551 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

Mar 30, 2013

dark cloud!??!?!

its been forever since i last played

i remember also wanting a 3rd

im glad you brought it up!

Message 6 of 42 (9,545 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3559 posts

Apr 1, 2013

Dark Cloud 3? Yes please!

DC 1 & 2 are one of my favorite RPGs. :]

Message 7 of 42 (9,531 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Apr 4, 2013

I updated the list. Please share this with your friends if you know they will support this. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

Message 8 of 42 (9,511 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 1, 2013

I would also love to see a Dark Cloud 3! :heart:

Message 9 of 42 (9,422 Views)
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Jul 1, 2013

DC2 along with Shinobi were the first 2 games I bought with my PS2. Although Dark Cloud never really appealed to me it's understandable why people like it so much.

I support Level-5 all the way.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 10 of 42 (9,412 Views)
0 Likes