Aug 06 2014
By: PLYMCO_PILGRIM Platinum 55453 posts

Developers Need to Create New Game Ideas

[ Edited ]
66 replies 488 views Edited Aug 6, 2014

Enough of the Remastered and Rereleased

The title says it all.   I've had enough of the re-mastered, re-released, and copied games.  Heck many new titles just feel like barely any spin on and old title or like 3 old titles mashed into one new name (Watchdogs).   

I'm wondering if I am the only one burnt out on games I grew up playing in the 80's, 90's, and even this gen being "remastered and re released" for us all to play and buy again. 

GRIM__REAFER wrote:

Hey, I'm excited for the Resident Evil remake remake.

Don't get me wrong, its cool when a game you really like gets remasterd...hell I'd buy MAG or Pixle Junk Monsters again on my PS4, but I just want some new, cool, games.  Games that make me go "Wow what a unique experience, I want more".   

I find the same issue with movies and music and television shows as well, its something that stretches across all entertainment lately. 

Message 1 of 67 (488 Views)
MVP Support
11645 posts

Re: Developers Need to Create New Ideas, Enough of the Remastered and Rereleased.

Aug 6, 2014

i'd 100% agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that all of the studios, that i know of, that have done these re-releases/ports *are* still working on new titles. take ND, we know they've started on U4, yet they still had a small team working on the TLOU port.

and yeah, afaik, all of the other studios were/are working on new titles as well as the older ports.

Message 2 of 67 (480 Views)
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Re: Developers Need to Create New Ideas, Enough of the Remastered and Rereleased.

Aug 6, 2014

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

The title says it all.   I've had enough of the re-mastered, re-released, and copied games.  Heck many new titles just feel like barely any spin on and old title or like 3 old titles mashed into one new name (Watchdogs).   

I'm wondering if I am the only one burnt out on games I grew up playing in the 80's, 90's, and even this gen being "remastered and re released" for us all to play and buy again.

Mod Edit: Updated label. Check here for more information. Thanks! --GrainneNessa

The Remastered Titles are aimed at the gamers who switched from the other console or others who havent played them on the PS3.   

However, I would agree that enough is enough.   That ts time for new games and enough of the milking of old games

Message 3 of 67 (472 Views)
Last Guardian
11752 posts

Aug 6, 2014

I'm with you on that one. Instead of having completely attractive and completely compelling new games to look forward to, I end up buying The Sly Collection again because it's somewhat affordable and because the Vita doesn't offer much else that really seems to speak to me. Instead of using the PlayStation 4 to play such hits as last year's The Last of Us yet again, or last year's Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition yet again, or 2010's Dead Nation yet again (well, that being because I've already played through it), I've just not been powering on the system. Though, with the likes of Road Not Taken and Fez finally free... there appears to at least be something to get into, even though Fez itself is a two-year-old port. Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 67 (470 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Aug 6, 2014
Im right there with you. I just posted the same thing in the resident evil thread.words cant express how much i agree with the op.
Message 5 of 67 (466 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1609 posts

Aug 6, 2014

Message 6 of 67 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55453 posts

Aug 6, 2014

GRIM__REAFER wrote:

Don't get me wrong, its cool when a game you really like gets remasterd...hell I'd buy MAG or Pixle Junk Monsters again on my PS4, but I just want some new, cool, games.  Games that make me go "Wow what a unique experience, I want more".   

I find the same issue with movies and music and television shows as well, its something that stretches across all entertainment lately. 

Message 7 of 67 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1491 posts

Aug 6, 2014

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

EDIT:  Ask the community label does fit, I'm asking the community for their input.  Please don't edit it out. Thank you.

I agree not only that it seems the PS4 has not had to many great different games on it yet, I mean dont get me wrong yes we get all the games that carry over every new gen like BF, COD, Blah blah blah but I want something new and fresh where when I pick it up Im like holy crap what have I been missing and want to contnue playing it for hours and want to go back to it. It just seems like here latley i have not been as pleased with the game releases, dont get me wrong I enjoy indie games but they all kind of blotch together after you have like 10 something indies IMO, Im just hoping next year will be filled with new AAA titles and great stroylines that carry over to further years ahead! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 67 (428 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1990 posts

Aug 6, 2014

If you game could have been played in the last generation of consoles, it should not have to be re released, it is already in HD and you are just milking the cow. Anything 10 years older I understand and realize the need for those remasters to exist.

I hope everyone posting here DO NOT go out and buy TLOU remastered, that is an insult to everyone who bought the same roughly 365 days earlier.

Same for GTA V, Rockstar needs to maybe not take 6 years for the next GTA game and stop remaking the same game.

Message 9 of 67 (427 Views)
Survivor
1817 posts

Aug 6, 2014

I'd love some new IPs... some really new, visionary IPs, not just "here's a new world that looks completely familiar, full of content which has proven previously successful to be sure you will pay for it".

But I also know that as development prices rise, studios are going to get more and more conservative with what they "dare" to release, and I have some sympathy with that.

Message 10 of 67 (420 Views)