Mar 09 2013
By: ZellerBrother First Son 2 posts

Disc Discontinuation

7 replies 118 views Edited Mar 9, 2013

Just finished reading some news about the next gen systems and I saw that they may be discontinuing the use of game discs for the transport, sale, and playability of games. I am worried about how this will change gaming as we know it. No more used games, game trade ins, retail discount offers, game swapping, etc. Many members of today's gaming society relies on friends and colleagues to sample new games and keep the passion of gaming alive at a relatively low cost. With the absence of the discs, gaming will no longer be considered recreational and instead be viewed as a luxury to those who can afford dropping $60+ on a new release instead of waiting a week or two before someone tires of the game and returns it. 

Also, Sony should consider those of us that have limited access to a secure internet source from which to reliably download games, apps, and new updates. This scenario would make owning a next gen system pointless.

So, has technology developed to the point  that we no longer require discs and that a better method should be introduced, or should we all just conform to whatever those with the power to say "this is the way it is-deal with it," or should decade old technology continue to hold back the demanding possibilities of the video-gaming world?

Message 1 of 8 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

Re: Disc Discontinuation

Mar 9, 2013
The PS4 has a BD drive, and Sony stated they will "do the right thing" on used games/trade-ins/loaners/etc.
Message 2 of 8 (116 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Mar 9, 2013
Already stated that while digital only distribution is something that all companies want, it wont be possible in the near future.
Message 3 of 8 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
459 posts

Mar 10, 2013

We need to keep disc based games because it helps keep a level playing field for developers, the cost to produce and distribute a game makes them think twice about shipping a crapy game, if we get rid of the disc, the quality of games will go down and the number of crapy game developers will go up, plus we would see an increase in micro-transactions, crapy developer/ publisher EA has already adopted this strategy instead of focusing on the quality of there games and DLC.

[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/cb765"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png[/IMG][/URL]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png
Message 4 of 8 (76 Views)
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 11, 2013

you're behind on the news there bud...

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 8 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2613 posts

Mar 11, 2013

Well the PS4 does have a Blu-ray Drive, so discs won't be phased out until alot later since I'm seeing the PS5 supporting 4K games with 100GB capacity Blu-ray discs.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 6 of 8 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 11, 2013

Bulletpainpills wrote:

Well the PS4 does have a Blu-ray Drive, so discs won't be phased out until alot later since I'm seeing the PS5 supporting 4K games with 100GB capacity Blu-ray discs.

More or less the gist of it, I'd say.

I do not think we will see the Discs get phased out until the Generation after this next one.

I do agree, unless, as another Thread has suggested a 24 Hour Return Window, for those occasional disappointments with download only content.

At the same time with Demos, and through PLUS, a 60 Minute Trial; buyers should still beware what they buy.  Sometimes you waste your money on sub par products.  It is the nature of consumerism.

Moble

Message 7 of 8 (46 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Mar 11, 2013

Moved from Off-topic. Cat Wink

space_cape!!

Message 8 of 8 (34 Views)
0 Likes