Apr 22 2014
By: BAD-WAYNE Splicer 71 posts

Disc vs Digital (What's it going to take to make you take the plunge)

[ Edited ]
48 replies 451 views Edited Apr 22, 2014

The digital age is upon us, new games are available for me to download without getting off my couch but other than that sole incentive; what is the advantage of digital vs physical?

I'm an old old school gamer with a physical collection of games that exceeds 1300 units from atari 2600 to PS4 and XBONE. I will admit that I have several digital copies of games as well but mostly due to PS Plus or the occasional STEEP digital discount. Now you see distributors asking for pre-orders of digital games with the typical exclusive preorder bonus (same as if you purchased a physical copy) but whats the TRUE incentive here if I am paying reatil price? The price is the same (which lets face it; that's just increased profit for the publishers) what am I getting as the consumer?....a promise that you will keep a record of my purchase for years to come (how many years to come)?

I believe I would be more inclined to jump on the digital band wagon if there was a greater incentive to do so; ATTN Sony Computer Entertainment America/Playstation and the other affected parties THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN...

PS Now is scheduled to launch mid summer 2014 and this, to me, is easily your ace-in-the-hole if you play your cards right. If you truly want to maximize profit by cutting out the used games market and transtioning all future games to digital distribution then your loyal consumers need a gaurantee that thier Game License Purchases will be transfereable/available within all facets of the Playstation Ecosystem...I would not purchase another physical disc if I knew that any game purchase I made on the PSN would be available to me and my household within all facets of the PS Ecosystem; PS Now is the key to this transition. If I retain my PS Plus subscription and link it to my PS Now subscription then I should have full access to my digital library on any device inwhich I can log into my PSN account.

If you can manage this with your $2 Billion acquistion of Gaikai you will have third party publishers beating down your door and likely put XBOX out of business...Not saying that I want XBOX out of business because competition fuels the continued pursuit of excellence and as a gamer I love variety but you get my drift here.

I am welcome to input on this topic.

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more information on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 49 (451 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
599 posts

Re: Disc vs Digital (What's it going to take to make you take the plunge)

Apr 22, 2014

There has been a rule introduced by the EU that affords owners of digital media the same resale rights as those of physical media. How this is supposed to work or be enforced... I don't think people thought that through. Needless to say, it does not work like that.

So, from my vantage point of PS Store,what we have is media that does not need to pay for physical media, duplication, retail points, and minimal distribution overheads. Does the end-user reap some benefits? No! In many cases the cost is in fact higher than at high street stores.

So, it's obvious where the increased profits are going, and we are getting a big fat finger.

The choice to me is overwhealmingly clear. It's physical media all the way until there are some fundamental changes in the system.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 49 (406 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23770 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2014

As always, the flaw in any reasoning is that you need to "incentivize" the move to digital. The problem is that you have retailers like Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us, GameStop, and Wal Mart that account for most of your sales, and you can not deliberately undercut them. If you alienate those retailers, you risk them not carrying your products, and I don't know if you realize this, but Sony makes a lot of OTHER STUFF. Movies, televisions, phones, radios, CD players, etc. They can't risk a store cutting that part of the chain off. 

The other part about "increased profit for publishers", how much do you think the disc and printed materials make up? All of that plastic and paper make up about three bucks. That's it. There's no huge mark up because of physical mediums. So this huge savings that gamerdom thinks it should be getting is a figment of their imaginations. 

Here's the thing; "Gamers" all seem to be under the impression that digital competes against retail. It doesn't, or least it doesn't for Sony and other game makers. Whether you are buying a disc or a download, you are buying THE SAME PRODUCT. All that's changing is the format and the delivery method. Digital does not equal "free", like so many believe it does, and they are not going to e swell guys and cut you a break, or just let you give away a digital game, because that will cut into sales. What kind of business sense does it make to have one person buy a game, and then just give it to all his buddies? BAD business sense, that's what kind. It always seems like every business plan by "gamers" is predicated on giving stuff away, or deep discounts that would drive a company into bankruptcy, neither of which are sustainable.

I always say if the industry were run the way "gamers" think it should be run, they'd be broke in six months. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 49 (391 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
338 posts

Apr 22, 2014

Maybe if there was a discount for digital. for me theres still no better feeling than unwrapping a new video game

Die hard Boston Red Sox, Miami Dolphins fan.
From North Providence, Rhode Island.
Ban Count: 4
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 49 (387 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7585 posts

Apr 22, 2014
<------CaptainAlbator's post---<<<

------freshprinceofnp's head------

This is what the good Captain was referring to. If Sony made digital games, say, $10 cheaper than retail, stores would start losing incentive to carry games at all. As has previously discussed, Steam has pretty much killed the PC retail sales sector. Look in the phonebook for your local PC Software retailer... I'm guessing you won't find any, because PC software retail sales have pretty much been relagated to the bargain bin at Wal-Mart.

As for advantages to digital...

1. Single Purchase for 2 Playstation consoles. To share a retail copy within a household with multple consoles, you have to move the disc from one console to another.
2. Entire library at the push of a button. Not only do you avoid getting off your couch to purchase a game, you can also change games without getting up.
3. You have a Vita and a good internet connection at the dentist. You have an hour to kill while you wait, so you decide to knock out a few missions on your (physical) copy of Tomb Raider. You fire up your Vita, start up Remote Play, your PS4's interface pops up and you realize your sister played her (physical) copy of Just Dance last night.

Oops.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 49 (371 Views)
Treasure Hunter
9173 posts

Apr 22, 2014
If buying digital was cheaper than buying retail I would consider it..
>

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 49 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7992 posts

Apr 22, 2014

Steps needed to make digital reasonable:

- Resale value.  Either sell to another user and transfer the license or have the selling entity offer a diminishing return based on time.  Say 50% return within first 6 months, 25% after the first year, etc.  (This system may require internet connection)

- Faster discounts on new games. People buy used because its cheaper generally based on time available.

EB games sells used versions of games for around $5 less then full retail, I am sure this discount is not too deep for selling entities to match or even beat easily.   Just keep an eye on the popular used price and match it for digital after a month or two.

- Sales!!  People buy tons of stuff from Steam soley because it is on sale.  A survey done recently has shown more then 33% of all games sold on steam are never played even once.  A bad game will sell at a low price, and no one will know its bad as they wont even play it, so it continues to sell.

Physical still has the edge and no companies seem to take the initiative on this front despite many pretending they dont like used game sales.  They cant beat them so they should join them and just do it better and put them out of business or at least take a nice big bite outta the used games pie and shtop complaining about it.

It would actually be nice if a physical game could be entered into your console and installed then you would have your own digital version for use on any of your devices.  

Like-wise it would be nice to buy a digital game and stick in a usb, copy the game to it, and again play it on all your devices.

I am not sure PS now is the answer, it will require a lot of bandwidth I would think, how long would it take to use up a 500MB/month plan on 4G?

Will 3G be fast enough to even use it?

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 49 (351 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7585 posts

Apr 22, 2014
Any type of installation off a disc will require the disc to be present in the system, otherwise, you could install the game and pass the disc off to a friend. Sounds like a warpspeed path to piracy.

As for using PS Now via 3G/4G, yes it would work, but you'd blow through 500MB in a day or two. I have a 5GB plan, and Remote Playing via my LTE hotspot a few hours a month, I typically use about 3.8-4.2GB of it.

I doubt the Vita will allow PS Now via its own 3G, anyway.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 49 (344 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23770 posts

Apr 22, 2014

Phillyblunz wrote:

Steps needed to make digital reasonable:

- Resale value.  Either sell to another user and transfer the license or have the selling entity offer a diminishing return based on time.  Say 50% return within first 6 months, 25% after the first year, etc.  (This system may require internet connection)

(A game like Grand Theft Auto will often sell for full price WELL after a year. What you're asking them is to undercut themselves, which will not happen. And you can save sometimes 30% often times by comparison shopping at retail outlets well under six months after release). 

- Faster discounts on new games. People buy used because its cheaper generally based on time available.

EB games sells used versions of games for around $5 less then full retail, I am sure this discount is not too deep for selling entities to match or even beat easily.   Just keep an eye on the popular used price and match it for digital after a month or two.

(Five bucks isn't an "incentive". Again, you can save more by comparison shopping at retail stores)

- Sales!!  People buy tons of stuff from Steam soley because it is on sale.  A survey done recently has shown more then 33% of all games sold on steam are never played even once.  A bad game will sell at a low price, and no one will know its bad as they wont even play it, so it continues to sell.

(I don't understand the obsession over Steam sales. Buying a five to ten year old game for $3.00 that nobody plays anymore is not exactly a "bargain". If you saw the same game on a store shelf, you wouldn't give it a second look. At this point you're doing THEM a favor)

Physical still has the edge and no companies seem to take the initiative on this front despite many pretending they dont like used game sales.  They cant beat them so they should join them and just do it better and put them out of business or at least take a nice big bite outta the used games pie and shtop complaining about it.

(They don't like used game sales because there's no money to be made from them. All I hear are the arguments of "if I buy a used game MAYBE I'll buy the next one". I've read surveys on GameSpot that 28% of "gamers" buy used games EXCLUSIVELY. That's nearly a third of the audience that they've lost. Then you get people using online servers that essentially jump the turnstyle. Losing a third of your profits is not good business, and it's even worse endorsing that practice and taking on the logistical nightmare of trying to enter the used game market)

It would actually be nice if a physical game could be entered into your console and installed then you would have your own digital version for use on any of your devices.  

Like-wise it would be nice to buy a digital game and stick in a usb, copy the game to it, and again play it on all your devices.

(That would be a license to steal)

I am not sure PS now is the answer, it will require a lot of bandwidth I would think, how long would it take to use up a 500MB/month plan on 4G?

Will 3G be fast enough to even use it?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 49 (330 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7992 posts

Apr 22, 2014

BBurgSteve wrote:
Any type of installation off a disc will require the disc to be present in the system, otherwise, you could install the game and pass the disc off to a friend. Sounds like a warpspeed path to piracy.

As for using PS Now via 3G/4G, yes it would work, but you'd blow through 500MB in a day or two. I have a 5GB plan, and Remote Playing via my LTE hotspot a few hours a month, I typically use about 3.8-4.2GB of it.

I doubt the Vita will allow PS Now via its own 3G, anyway.

Nope.

1. Read disc.  (required to be online initially)

2. Tie disc to account.

3. Disc will never allow install to another account, but could be used if you bought a new system.

4. Allow transfer of ownership of disc, would not be allowed until each device it was installed to are connected online and deactivated.

I am pretty sure this has been happening for years with PC software which comes on a disc.

Even MS was going to do this with xbone but was too gutless to see it through and caved to public pressure lacking preorders from people fighting against things they had no comprehension of.

They really should have left it in and provided an option to opt out.  Everyone could have won.

I dont really get what the VITA's 3G is all about.  Do you pay monthly for it?  Data capped?  Can you use it to play any game online?  or it is just for leaderboards and useless crap like that, and messaging?

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 49 (326 Views)
0 Likes