Jul 14 2014
By: uh--oh Treasure Hunter 4927 posts

Do PlayStation Read These Forums

[ Edited ]
40 replies 352 views Edited Jul 14, 2014

Our ideas or points in this forum, do they get mentioned to any sony higher up representatives?

Sorry to do this here but there are a few who thinks nothing happens when we make post here for interaction between us and sony? Can you clear this up please.

T_F edit: cleaned up the title

Message 1 of 41 (352 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
12642 posts

Re: Okay Mods please answer this post......

Jul 14, 2014

uh--oh wrote:

Our ideas or points in this forum, do they get mentioned to any sony higher up representatives?

Sorry to do this here but there are a few who thinks nothing happens when we make post here for interaction between us and sony? Can you clear this up please.

Why not have someone from Sony to hop on here and talk to players now and then? Or is there something in their contract prohibiting anyone to post on the forums? I have been wondering these ? and the ones above as well.

Message 2 of 41 (340 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2303 posts

Jul 14, 2014

i consider this place a fan forum more then the orffical one, they never get on here so it might as well be right?

Message 3 of 41 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Jul 14, 2014

isn't there some law that makes it illegal for them to use Ideas that we discuss on these these forums for anything that they make.

Message 4 of 41 (306 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28986 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2014

TheGreaWrathalos wrote:

isn't there some law that makes it illegal for them to use Ideas that we discuss on these these forums for anything that they make.

It's not a law, but as a rule a lot of companies don't take what they call "unsolicited material", because it opens them up to a lawsuit. It stems from the Seigal and Schuster lawsuits that they filed against DC Comics for control of the rights to the character they created, Superman. A battle they've been fighting for nearly 70 years. This idea that they're "ignoring the community" is misguided, because they're hands are tied. If they use your idea, then you may be entitled to some form of monetary claim to what ever that idea makes, despite your insistance that "don't want any money from it, and only want to see it for the betterment of the community".

If they ASK YOU for "feedback" that's one thing. That's what beta tests and focus groups do. But if you're saying "I HAVE THE GREATEST IDEA EVER AND YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO IT!", then that probably gets thrown out.

So no matter how great an idea you might have, as a rule they're not going to use it on the grounds that they'll eventually come across a lawyer who sees a corporation as an ATM, and a quick cash grab because geeks are their new "growth field".

Message 5 of 41 (294 Views)
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2014

Message 6 of 41 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Jul 14, 2014

*Throw away post, missed subject point* 

Message 7 of 41 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2303 posts

Jul 14, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:
It's not a law, but as a rule a lot of companies don't take what they call "unsolicited material", because it opens them up to a lawsuit. It stems from the Seigal and Schuster lawsuits that they filed against DC Comics for control of the rights to the character they created, Superman. A battle they've been fighting for nearly 70 years. This idea that they're "ignoring the community" is misguided, because they're hands are tied. If they use your idea, then you may be entitled to some form of monetary claim to what ever that idea makes, despite your insistance that "don't want any money from it, and only want to see it for the betterment of the community".

If they ASK YOU for "feedback" that's one thing. That's what beta tests and focus groups do. But if you're saying "I HAVE THE GREATEST IDEA EVER AND YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO IT!", then that probably gets thrown out.

So no matter how great an idea you might have, as a rule they're not going to use it on the grounds that they'll eventually come across a lawyer who sees a corporation as an ATM, and a quick cash grab because geeks are their new "growth field".

its the same when you do a Beta really. unless the Beta is more then just to test servers they can't really use any ideas. Defiance is proof of this. people gave them tons of ideas in Beta that never were used. some of the people we reported bugs to in the Beta forum even said they were not allowed to use the ideas.

Message 8 of 41 (278 Views)
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
28986 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2014

The other side of that is that a lot of those ideas might not be feasible or even good. I read in a magazine somewhere a number of years ago (may have been EGM) that during a testing cycle one of the testers had an idea, and they kept telling him it wasn't workable. Yet he kept insisting on it, and in the end it still didn't end up in the game. A good example of that is I keep seeing the "idea" floating around for a Civil War game. Yeah, it may sound good on paper, but you run into problems with the combat being slow, consisting of largely standing in a line on a field, shooting and being shot at, and having to use exclusively front loading muskets. Somebody has to be the one to say "I'm sorry, but we just can't use that".

In the end do you use an idea that you KNOW is bad, just because the "community" wants it? Or do you look at the bigger picture and throw it out, for a better overall experience? Most times you choose the latter.

Message 9 of 41 (270 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jul 14, 2014

uh--oh wrote:

I do not think it is the mods' job to report what they see here to the higher positions. There are others that go onto the forums, other than mods, that work for Sony. But I do not see them post often; well, not as often as they used to.

Message 10 of 41 (268 Views)