Highlighted
Apr 25 2014
By: JessTheJedi First Son 14 posts

Do micro-transactions worry anyone else?

[ Edited ]
27 replies 290 views Edited Apr 25, 2014

A game at $60, then a monthly subscription fee, then micro-transactions thrown in.  GTA V Online had a strong focus on micro-transactions.  The missions were dull and not at all enticing, and they gave virtually no reward for participation.  Rockstar figured anytime you wanted something, you would just buy it.  What's it going to be like when you buy the game, then pay the monthly subscription fee, then have to pay for everything in-game as well?  Will the game still be satisfying?

For example, the Elder Scrolls Online comes out in June.  What if you had to buy everything in the game, such as every crafting material, your crafting professions, weapons, etc.?  What if quests did nothing, other than maybe say congratulations?

Right now, it's not too bad, but what if every game would move in this direction?  It's just a talking point, I guess.

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more information on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 28 (290 Views)
Fender Bender
3071 posts

Re: Do micro-transactions worry anyone else?

[ Edited ]
Apr 25, 2014

Very worrying.

Difficulty for single player mode is being sold as DLC now for a few games. So far, I know that The Last of Us, Killzone Shadowfall, and Metro Last Light are selling their hard difficulty settings as DLC.

Also, Pay 2 Win seems to be spreading to non-F2P games. BF3 had 2 expansions that came with weapons, some being overpowered due to the high RPM. There's perks being sold as DLC for TLoU. The hats in UC3 came with stat boosts & penalties.

There's also the additional fee to access content you've already paid for. Disc-locked content, for example, and the required PS+ subscription to access the online multiplayer part of a game on PS4.

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 2 of 28 (278 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1015 posts

Apr 25, 2014

Uhg, I hate it too.

I understand when a game releases DLC that's actual new content that didn't make the final game originally, that's fine. However I get so mad when I see high difficulty settings being sold as DLC.

This really annoyed me with Metro:Last Light since that game was a bit too easy for my tastes. If a dev/pub (or whoever decides this) wants to make a more difficult mode for the game, that doesn't feature any real new content, it should come along with any patches for the game.

Really this is another spit in the face of hardcore gamers who like to be challenged. I'm not going to give in. I'm not going to just pay for a setting option no matter what, but I am offended by the big middle finger the game just gave me.

If my memory is right, the only game I can think of that (perhaps ironicly enough, being by Capcom) didn't require you to pay for a new difficulty setting after it's release was Dragon's Dogma, but of course it was an easy mode. Blah....

Now, for the GTA thing I don't see why anyone (except the lazy) would need to buy money for the game. The MP missions DO give you cash. Noted I haven't played GTAV in a couple months so perhaps things have changed.

As for Elder Scrolls Online, I doubt you will have to pay real money for new armor/weapons. There may be a game store that sells cosmetic options and the sort, or an early/lazy way to get a hand full of equipment but I doubt that will be the only way to get the best gear. 

The one game I can think of I ever played that had a good micro-transaction system that was fair and reasonable was Dungeons and Dragons Online:Ebbron Unlimited. You would buy "credits" for the store with real money, but you could also earn those same credits by completing quests (but only the first time you do). So when a new class/race/quest line came out you could either buy it quick for $10 or whatever, or you could grind some quests to earn enough credits to get it. In a way this followed the "time=money" concept which I think is fair. Either you put in the money, or put in the time.

That all said, I am worried about this slippery slope gaming is sliding down with micro-transactions. I do miss the days where unlocking a new costume or level meant you kicked butt at the game, not that you had $5 bucks to spare. Worse, as mentioned, is when a game has MP and they make it so only those willing to pay will have the best stuff giving them an unfair edge.

I love JRPGs, but hate anime... Is that legal?
Message 3 of 28 (254 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1418 posts

Apr 25, 2014

This is what worries me about ESO its ganna have all 3, christ I never paid that much for WoW, or even FF14 which just came out, they expect me to pay 60 dollars and a sub and still have some races locked behind a cash shop, its the worst case scenario for that kind of payment model.

Message 4 of 28 (249 Views)
First Son
7 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 25, 2014
I don't have a problem with some micro-transactions when they don't make me feel like I bought a full priced demo instead of full game. Ridge Racer on the vita was just such an instance that included maybe 4 tracks and a handful of cars ( maybe 5 ) Now it makes me cautious as a consumer to purchase titles I would have normally just bought without waiting. In the end result I think it hurts not only the consumer but the company as well. I don't agree with the perks it gives you in multiplayer if you have more money then the next guy, so you get a better advantage and this also effects what games I purchase now. Dead or Alive V I wanted to buy day one till I saw all the unlockables that most should have been included in a full priced game and again I won't buy because of it. I don't mind supporting game companies with my dollars but I don't like feeling like I paid for something incomplete .
Message 5 of 28 (218 Views)
MVP Support
13298 posts

Apr 25, 2014

I'm not a fan of micro transactions in games. It just makes it harder on gamers who might not have the money or resources. Yea sometimes it's done in a way that doesn't affect the game (meaning it's optional), but other times they make it so you have to buy something just to make it further in a game. Now that kind of micro transaction is out of line imo. Either they offer others an unfair advantage or they put people at a disadvantage.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 6 of 28 (207 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Apr 25, 2014

Best way to combat it is to NOT buy into the microtransactions and complain to the better business bureau for price gouging on products...to me in the case of Elder Scrolls Online its pure profiteering..they're asking around $240 for the first year just to play it...thats the cost of battlefield 4, cod ghosts and both seasonpasses/premiums totaled and THEN some!  I can understand having to make a profit but there is a fine line between making a profit and profiteering that appears to be crossed starting out in this next gen.  Microtransaction games annoy me aswell...but i just wont buy them..no matter how enjoyable they seem..I will not support turning consumers who got you where you are today upside down and emptying their pockets and trying to make it look like a good deal for them.  Shame on the industry for going this way.

Message 7 of 28 (199 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6531 posts

Apr 25, 2014

yes i hate micro as much as DLC ---i know nobody is forcing us to buy it---but its like they are in a way because they release "half games" and then they release other DLC to "enhance gameplay" as well as buy this gun for x amount of money to get the most of it and blah blah...and well it really does suck because we as people are paying $60 games and to get a "full experience" you have to pay extra if you want to have it. 

what happend to the good old days where you bought a game and didnt had to worry about micro and DLC it really does suck but thats the way of the future of gaming.  but again nobody forces us to buy it in any way, shape, or form.

Message 8 of 28 (197 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28812 posts

Apr 25, 2014

JessTheJedi wrote:

A game at $60, then a monthly subscription fee, then micro-transactions thrown in.  GTA V Online had a strong focus on micro-transactions.  The missions were dull and not at all enticing, and they gave virtually no reward for participation.  Rockstar figured anytime you wanted something, you would just buy it.  What's it going to be like when you buy the game, then pay the monthly subscription fee, then have to pay for everything in-game as well?  Will the game still be satisfying?

(Where are you getting a "monthly subscription fee" from? If you're referring to Playstation Plus, that's fifty dollars for the entire YEAR, which is not sold by RockStar. Grand Theft Auto Online does not have a "strong focus on micro-transactions". They do have in-game money, which you can either purchase or you can earn by, and here's a wacky concept so work with me, PLAYING the game. As far as paying a montly subscription fee for Grand Theft Auto, would you rather spend about $3 on in-game money at your discretion, or pay a flat fee of $12 a month? So far the $3 per $100,000 in game money doesn't sound so horrible)

For example, the Elder Scrolls Online comes out in June.  What if you had to buy everything in the game, such as every crafting material, your crafting professions, weapons, etc.?  What if quests did nothing, other than maybe say congratulations?

(Why are you buying everything? Have some self control)

Right now, it's not too bad, but what if every game would move in this direction?  It's just a talking point, I guess.

(What ticks people off about Grand Theft Auto Online was you had a massive amount of users taking advantage of exploits to acquire MASSIVE amounts of in-game money. Many were banned or relegated to the Cheater Pools, now many say because of that "Rock-totally-Star totally ruined totally it totally man... totally". Well how is this fair to the people who play the game WITHOUT cheating being mowed down by a half dozen tanks occupying one session, all because some wanted to cheat the system? For a while it was Grand Theft Auto Fallujah. 

With support cycles now stretching for YEARS, the money has to come from somewhere. So it's no surprise that more and more companies are going to try to monetize certain aspects of the game. You always have the right to not buy much or ANY of the in game transactions. Things like this are designed more with what's called the "high traffic users" in mind. One game I did have a problem with was NBA 2K13, where certain skill sets were unlocked with in game coins, and the only way to get better quickly was to purchase them outright. The cost was managable though, but deliberately making your player development slow didn't sit well, and I have no love for Jay Zee,  but that's another topic)

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more information on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 9 of 28 (196 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Apr 25, 2014
Certain DLC's suck like difficulty however I can really see why companies want us to buy DLC. As a gamer who has seen pretty much every generation, games are extremely cheap at $60. Development costs are in the 10's of millions and sometimes crossing the $100 million dollar mark yet people still feel entitled to pay what games cost back when development was as in the tens of thousands. It's because of this that we see DLC priced the way it is.

And some companies do go overboard though such as selling you a $30 to $50 season pass and then double and triple dipping beyond that.
Message 10 of 28 (195 Views)
0 Likes