Reply
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11016 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Because, it's called a Service for a Reason, ~_~ 

Why else would Sony do this for us, It would totally defeat the Purpous of the PS Store we already have now... 

Giving everyone Free PS1, PS2, & PS3 Games just doesn't fit Sony... 

It's so obvious that we will be required to Pay for it, ~_~ 


-------------------------------------

Your missing the Point... This isn't about the PS3, it's about the PS4... 

& why would I pay for Games on the Gekai Service on PS4, if my PS3 does this for me... 

Your Responce makes no sense... 


Considering my Point was almost exactly the same as yours... Not entirely, but very simular, yes... 

So your Argument was Pointless...


My point is that if you already own the games, why would you pay for them again, anyway?  If it's a subscription service (which I fully expect it to be), you would be able to pay for it and play games you DON'T already own.  For games you own, you still have a perfectly functional PS3 to play them on.  Point is, backward compatiblility in the PS4 would be a pointless venture, since it would cost Sony so much to include the PS3 hardware in the PS4 to play PS3 games.  Sony will already be losing money on the PS4 as it is, without expanding that loss margin by including pointless hardware.

Message 11 of 32 (590 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 02/14/2009
Offline
1799 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

Thats not how you said it the first time... 

But as far as i'm aware of, most people don't want a PS3 & PS4... 

-----------------------------

Most People would rather sell their PS3 to get a PS4... 

Your next Reply will probably be about how much could I possibly get for a PS3 twards a PS4... 

But the fact that I could get any thing at all for a PS3, regaurdless if it's a $1, or $200... 

At least i'd be that much closer to a PS4... Anything would be better then nothing... 

-------------------------------

Plus, I own one of the more Expensive Consoles, i'm pretty sure I can come up with something for what it's worth... 
If I can't sell it one way, i'm sure I can find another way to sell it, (Parts For Instance) 

The most important thing is you claim that PS3 won't die on Day one of the PS4 Launch, but your forgetting that not very many Models were made, & alot of those are already Breaking down... 

And Sony is supposedly not going to make anymore of them... 

---------------------------------

So keeping the PS3 at this Point would only cost you in the end... 

We'd be better off getting rid of it while we still have a Chance... ~_~ 

It might not Die on Day 1 of the PS4 Launch, but you can't expect it to last much longer beyond that point... 

It's bound to Break eventually... I'd rather not have a PS3 by the time it Breaks, ~_~ 

Lastly, & more importantly... If I did not buy the Game when I owned a PS3, what makes ya think i'll buy it when I get a PS4? 
I thought the whole idea was to move forward, & focus more on the Future, not the Past... 

Without Backwards Compatibility, their making People focus more on the Past, instead of the Future... 

Because they will be too buisy buying their old Games for PS4 on this New Gekai Service, instead of all those New Games... 


---------------------------------

Almost forgot, they even said that PS3 Games aren't for sure going to be Emulated, they only said they possibly will be Emulated... 
Nothing is Confirmed yet, & even if PS3 Games are Emulated... 

Their is no Garentee the Service will be Free, nor that any of the Games will Run correctly at all... 

--------------------------------

Here is the most important Reason why Backwards Compatibility would be way better then Didgetal Gamming on the PS4... 

1.) My PS2 Games run perfectly fine on the PS3... 
2.) My Didgetal PS2 Games run like Crap on the PS3... 
3.) My PS1 Games run just fine on the PS3... 
4.) My Didgetal PS 1 Games run like Crap on the PS3... 

There is a total difference between Disc & Didgetal Gamming when it comes to Older Games... 

Point is, PS4 is not going to be any different...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
.......................
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!


Get Your Portable ID!
Message 12 of 32 (586 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/03/2008
Offline
15343 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Thats not how you said it the first time... 

But as far as i'm aware of, most people don't want a PS3 & PS4... 

-----------------------------

Most People would rather sell their PS3 to get a PS4... 

Your next Reply will probably be about how much could I possibly get for a PS3 twards a PS4... 

But the fact that I could get any thing at all for a PS3, regaurdless if it's a $1, or $200... 

At least I'd be that much closer to a PS4... Anything would be better then nothing... 

-------------------------------

Plus, I own one of the more Expensive Consoles, I'm pretty sure I can come up with something for what it's worth... 
If I can't sell it one way, I'm sure I can find another way to sell it, (Parts For Instance) 

The most important thing is you claim that PS3 won't die on Day one of the PS4 Launch, but your forgetting that not very many Models were made, & a lot of those are already Breaking down... 

And Sony is supposedly not going to make anymore of them... 

---------------------------------

So keeping the PS3 at this Point would only cost you in the end... 

We'd be better off getting rid of it while we still have a Chance... ~_~ 

It might not Die on Day 1 of the PS4 Launch, but you can't expect it to last much longer beyond that point... 

It's bound to Break eventually... I'd rather not have a PS3 by the time it Breaks, ~_~ 

Lastly, & more importantly... If I did not buy the Game when I owned a PS3, what makes yaw think I'll buy it when I get a PS4? 
I thought the whole idea was to move forward, & focus more on the Future, not the Past... 

Without Backwards Compatibility, their making People focus more on the Past, instead of the Future... 

Because they will be too busy buying their old Games for PS4 on this New Gekai Service, instead of all those New Games... 


---------------------------------

Almost forgot, they even said that PS3 Games aren't for sure going to be Emulated, they only said they possibly will be Emulated... 
Nothing is Confirmed yet, & even if PS3 Games are Emulated... 

Their is no Guarantee the Service will be Free, nor that any of the Games will Run correctly at all... 

--------------------------------

Here is the most important Reason why Backwards Compatibility would be way better then Digital Gaming on the PS4... 

1.) My PS2 Games run perfectly fine on the PS3... 
2.) My Digital PS2 Games run like Crap on the PS3... 
3.) My PS1 Games run just fine on the PS3... 
4.) My Digital PS 1 Games run like Crap on the PS3... 

There is a total difference between Disc & Digital Gaming when it comes to Older Games... 

Point is, PS4 is not going to be any different...



Sweeping generalization alert. Without any sort of data, quantitative or qualitative, you've assumed most people will not keep their PS3, even if that means they will not be able to play PS3 games on their PS4. If you looked at the other extremely long thread on this issue and this one you would see the opposite. And even then it is a small sample size not representative of prospective PS4 owners. It's just doesn't make sense to sell a console before the launch of a newer generation to pay for it. I did not sell my PS2 for a PS3. I did not sell my PS1 for my PS2. I did not sell my Gamecube for my Wii. I did not sell my N64 for my Gamecube. I did not sell my NES for my N64; I had no SNES.

 

Of course Sony will stop production but that is no reason to want a newer console to. Maybe it will die but that day is far off. I've had my PS3, almost since launch and it's still chugging along. There is no guarantee it will just stop working just as there is no guarantee it will. Just for reference, Sony only fairly recently stopped all production of the PS2. Nearly six years into the lifetime of the PS3. They're going to keep supporting it the way they did the PS2 for at least ten years.

 

Arguing that keeping my PS3 will burden me with some sort of enduring cost is a classic logical fallacy. It's not an Xbox, I pay no monthly subscription. It doesn't need me to produce a modicum of my soul every couple of hours. I can pack it away in it's box and it won't cost me a dime. Then you say this, "If I did not buy the Game when I owned a PS3, what makes ya think i'll buy it when I get a PS4? I thought the whole idea was to move forward, & focus more on the Future, not the Past... " If anything, doesn't that hurt you're argument for wanting BC? You think not! This follows, "Without Backwards Compatibility, their making People focus more on the Past, instead of the Future." If that makes sense, I don't even know.

 

As for Gaikai itself, there is no guarantee it will be free but that attribute of that property functions the same either way. There is no guarantee it is a paid service. Arguing that simple because it is a service in name it must require a payment of some sort has no basis in fact. As you said nothing is confirmed yet and every bit of information on the topic is either hearsay or wishful thinking. I'm not going to assume I'm right and I'm not going to allow you to convince me and others you're opinion is right.

 

I don't own any digital PS2 games so I can not and will not make the comparison to playing a physical PS2 game. However, there is no distinction between digital and physical PS1 games played on the PS3. In my experience my games have played flawlessly both on disc as well as ones I have purchased on PSN. Finally, the PS4 will be different. That difference is the reason you're not seeing BC for the PS3.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum


Fabulous!
Message 13 of 32 (573 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 06/21/2011
Offline
654 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:
Point is, backward compatiblility in the PS4 would be a pointless venture, since it would cost Sony so much to include the PS3 hardware in the PS4 to play PS3 games.

 

I disagree.  Backward-compatibility would be a reward for those who have been loyal PlayStation customers; ie: those who have game collections from Sony's prior consoles.  Making your customers happy, rather than merely content, is not a pointless venture.  The PS3 uses 7-year-old technology; why would you expect 7-year-old technology to cost Sony "so much"?

Message 14 of 32 (555 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28994 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

It depends on how well it works, what kind of selection it has, and the cost. It's far too early to say for sure, because we haven't seen it running, and have no idea of what kind of quality it will bring to the table. I'm not a big fan of streaming, and I'm not a fan of downloading to begin with. So it will have to impress the hell out of me to turn my opinion around on it.

Message 15 of 32 (552 Views)
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28994 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

DanSD wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:
Point is, backward compatiblility in the PS4 would be a pointless venture, since it would cost Sony so much to include the PS3 hardware in the PS4 to play PS3 games.

 

I disagree.  Backward-compatibility would be a reward for those who have been loyal PlayStation customers; ie: those who have game collections from Sony's prior consoles.  Making your customers happy, rather than merely content, is not a pointless venture.  The PS3 uses 7-year-old technology; why would you expect 7-year-old technology to cost Sony "so much"?


Because PS3 games are coded around the Cell processor, and to included that it would take time and resources to incorporate the processor, video rendering units, and other components into the PS4, which has already been reported to use more conventional "off the shelf" PC parts.

Message 16 of 32 (551 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/08/2012
Offline
3419 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

Streaming ps1,ps2,and ps3 games is still a goal of Gaikai and not a reality unfortunately. It was stated to be started up in phases and as of right now they haven't really announced if they will be doing it or not, just that it is a goal they have set for themselves. I couldn't imagine them not being able to do it though. Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 32 (543 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
11016 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

DanSD wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:
Point is, backward compatiblility in the PS4 would be a pointless venture, since it would cost Sony so much to include the PS3 hardware in the PS4 to play PS3 games.

 

I disagree.  Backward-compatibility would be a reward for those who have been loyal PlayStation customers; ie: those who have game collections from Sony's prior consoles.  Making your customers happy, rather than merely content, is not a pointless venture.  The PS3 uses 7-year-old technology; why would you expect 7-year-old technology to cost Sony "so much"?


The PS4 runs on x86 architecture.  It is incompatible with Cell architecture.  Therefore, you would need a Cell and an RSX in the PS4 to run PS3 games.  AMD processors have a tendency to run HOT.  Cell technology tends to run HOTTER (and you would have the same issue with the Cell that has always been present - the fact that it is physically soldered to the board).  You would need extra cooling technologies inside the PS4 to handle that heat.  And space.  Lots and lots of empty space (so that the heatsinks don't just sink heat to each other).  A backward compatible PS4 would be HUGE.  I'm talking about the size of a minifridge.  Do you have space on your entertainment center where you could put a minifridge?  I thought not.

 

Sony's way of thanking you for your loyalty is to continue supporting the PS3 well into the next generation.  As has been pointed out, Sony finally ceased manufacturing the PS2 TWO MONTHS AGO.  There is no indication they will change that policy when the PS4 comes out.

 

The fact that your loyalty would require a $300+ premium for a BC PS4 (when you already have a PS3) doesn't seem to follow.  Keep your PS3.  Sony will thank you by continuing to support it.

Message 18 of 32 (542 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 06/21/2011
Offline
654 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

AMD processors have a tendency to run HOT.  Cell technology tends to run HOTTER (and you would have the same issue with the Cell that has always been present - the fact that it is physically soldered to the board).  You would need extra cooling technologies inside the PS4 to handle that heat.  And space.  Lots and lots of empty space (so that the heatsinks don't just sink heat to each other).  A backward compatible PS4 would be HUGE.  I'm talking about the size of a minifridge.  Do you have space on your entertainment center where you could put a minifridge?  I thought not.


If they included both processors, the AMD would be mostly idle, while the Cell was in use, and vice versa.  Idle CPUs don't run hot.  Do you think the PS4 CPU won't be soldered on (seems dreamy to me, in terms of repairs)?  The size of a mini fridge?   I could stack my PS3 on top of my PS4 and it would be the size of a home office printer (assuming the PS4 is around the size of a PS3), turn both on, while playing a game on one, and neither would overheat, provided they are in a well-ventilated location.   This would indicate an entire PS3 and an entire PS4 could be layered into one box, being much smaller than a mini fridge.

 

 


BBurgSteve wrote:

Sony's way of thanking you for your loyalty is to continue supporting the PS3 well into the next generation.  As has been pointed out, Sony finally ceased manufacturing the PS2 TWO MONTHS AGO.  There is no indication they will change that policy when the PS4 comes out.


This is going away from my point, which was backward-compatibility isn't a pointless venture.  Whether it's worth the resources, is another matter.

 

 


BBurgSteve wrote:

The fact that your loyalty would require a $300+ premium for a BC PS4 (when you already have a PS3) doesn't seem to follow.


I'm not convinced of this cost.  I've seen assumptions stating this information, with no solid evidence.

Message 19 of 32 (532 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Offline
13618 posts
 

Re: Do you plan on using Gaikai on the PS4? And what do you think of it?

Mar 23, 2013

Sigh when will people learn that there's no use complaining about no B/C?

 

This thread was about whether or not you'd use Gaikai, not the implications of having a B/C PS4. We already have enough threads about that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 32 (338 Views)