Highlighted
Oct 16 2013
By: younginflavor18 MVP Support 14127 posts

Do you prefer games that are in their initial releases or GOTY (Game of the Year)?

[ Edited ]
14 replies 239 views Edited Oct 17, 2013

Do you prefer video games that are in their initial releases without the DLC, or do you prefer video games that are GOTY editions with almost every piece of DLC? If you have own an original game without the bonuses, do you find yourself enjoying them and love the idea of buying DLC for one title separately? For those who have a game that is a GOTY version, do you enjoy that it gives you bonuses such as getting DLC at a reduced price, awesome materials (themes, avatars, and wallpapers), and other bonuses such as vouchers to download a film?

There are execpetions to both (some GOTY games are expensive to purchase, not every DLC is available in the GOTY games, and some DLC is expensive to purchase separately if you own an original copy).

I personally prefer both versions, but I'm leaning more to the GOTY because it gives me the full experience with playing the main game and DLC at the same time.

What's your preference, original versions or GOTY?

Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 1 of 15 (239 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Re: Do your games that are in their initial releases or GOTY (Game of the Year)?

Oct 16, 2013
I like both. Yes its hard to pay a lot more for the DLC when it comes into the PS Store but I dont buy any DLC I just buy the ones for the games that I really love and most of the time I buy for them the Season Pass. Examples:

Bioshock Infinite, any God Of War thing, Resident Evil, Killzone Shadow fall, TLOU, Beyond Two Souls, maybe AC4BF, the Dead Space dlc's. Any other game I can wait or never play their dlc and I dont die but for the other ones that I mentioned I need them.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 2 of 15 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Re: Do your games that are in their initial releases or GOTY (Game of the Year)?

Oct 16, 2013

for me i dont buy many dlc  

i bought need for speed undercover dlc 

gears of war 2 dlc 

gears of war 3 dlc  season pass 

la noire season pass 

red dead redemption dlc 

boarderlands 2 season pass   

here i hate about season pass u buy it and some crap not included in the season pass is b.s 

and certain games do this i hate to is u buy a dlc and u get a few new maps then u get few old maps for the older game  which is stuupid

reason left xbox and finally come back home to the playstation   is i bought season pass for boarderlands 2  and my gamertag got messed up and called xbox 3 weeks still not fix now it been 4 months not fix and i dont care if it ever get fix sold all my xbox 360 games and be selling xbox 360 to a freind soon im happy coming back home to playstation  i had ps1 ps2 now ps3 and soon ps4 

so i was paying xbox live  for how many months now and cant access it and boarderlands season pass new dlc i coudnt download and only thing xbox told me our advocory team working on it 

i dont buy to many dlc  game of the year edition game r nice but i usually buy my games when there come out most the time but there r exceptions  i dont really buy used game but if a old game has a game of the year i do pick them up once awhile 

Message 3 of 15 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Oct 17, 2013

First off, excellent thread.

During this generation, I have waited to buy single player, campaign-driven games in their Director's Cut or GOTY editions whenever possible, as long as the applicable DLC is worth it (adds to the story, for example).

Multiplayer games, I am finding, it's far better to buy season passes (or, in the case of Battlefield, Premium), so, in those cases, buying early lends a financial advantage.

I like to have the complete versions of most games that I play.  I make exceptions whenever the story of a game is so compelling that I fear spoilers (remember when I bought TLOU? Smiley Happy ).

It is definitely a case-by-case scenario.  The Walking Dead, for example, I was really glad to own complete, and be able to play in its entirety, as waiting for content would have been agonizing. Smiley Happy

All that said, I have never double-dipped for a Director's Cut or Complete/GOTY Edition, until now - Deus Ex: The Director's Cut!

Grindhead_Jim

Message 4 of 15 (193 Views)
MVP Support
14127 posts

Oct 17, 2013

Thanks, Jim. You're right that it's pretty agonizing to wait over a year for a game to be re-released with almost every DLC that is availiable. I'm starting to enjoy the hell out of the Full Package version of Saints Row 3 that I'm currently playing right now.

I might follow suit with other GOTY games I plan on buying in the future. 

Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Message 5 of 15 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Re: Do you prefer games that are in their initial releases or GOTY (Game of the Year)?

Oct 17, 2013

I'll take a GOTY edition over an original edition any day. I usually buy the original editions anyways because I buy them well before the GOTY edition comes out.

My most recent GOTY purchase was Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate edition back in August. My reason for enjoying GOTYs more is that I do not have to spend X amount of dollars for DLC plus the cost of the standard edition of the game. It a money saver.

A+ thread!

Message 6 of 15 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3228 posts

Oct 17, 2013

I usually go for to one that comes out first, which is non-goty edtion but now I'll be buying games on the cheap, which is usually the goty editions. Which is great. But when it's a game that brings all the dlc for a cheaper price I go for that. I got Batman:AC:GOTY and Dead Island GOTY. Batman had the better dlc but it was great that they had all that much content for such a cheap price. Got both games when the orginals were still expensive. But I really really hate dlc. I only buy them if they add something to the story, I usually ignore the online stuff. 

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: Akirasolid Entertainment

Message 7 of 15 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Oct 17, 2013
In my opinion GOTY editions are better if you want to save some money and if you are a collector. Sometimes I buy GOTY games but I do not play its dlc but I still get them because they are like collectible and look better in the new boxes etc etc.

And yes DLC can be a pain because if you buy a game 60 dollars and then pay for DLC you may spend 80 to 100 dollars. If you play war games like COD or BF then you will be spending way over 100 dollars for their DLC pack or season passes or Premium.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 8 of 15 (170 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14127 posts

Oct 17, 2013

darkforcegod wrote:
In my opinion GOTY editions are better if you want to save some money and if you are a collector. Sometimes I buy GOTY games but I do not play its dlc but I still get them because they are like collectible and look better in the new boxes etc etc.

And yes DLC can be a pain because if you buy a game 60 dollars and then pay for DLC you may spend 80 to 100 dollars. If you play war games like COD or BF then you will be spending way over 100 dollars for their DLC pack or season passes or Premium.

That's why I am starting to prefer GOTY editions for that reason besides getting the complete experience: saving me time and money.

Message 9 of 15 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
533 posts

Re: Do you prefer games that are in their initial releases or GOTY (Game of the Year)?

Oct 17, 2013

Initial release because it could take years for the GOTY edition and I don't plan on waiting that long to play excellent games.

Message 10 of 15 (153 Views)
0 Likes