Splicer
49 posts

Re: Do you prefer multiplatform titles or exclusives?

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2013

I prefer multiplatform.  Sure, the exclusives are usually better because of the focused attention, and the extra funds they receive from the corporation, but still, in the end it is games.  I have both systems and know I am fortunate.  I know that everyone is not as fortunate as me.  I feel sorry for gamers when they miss out on blockbuster titles like Last of Us, or Alan Wake, or whatever game, on which ever system you have loved.  No one should miss out on a great game because they had to choose one console over another.  Brand loyalty and all that.  I would prefer if everyone could experience any game they wanted regardless of what choice of console they felt met their needs.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 34 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2455 posts

Oct 16, 2013

I tend to lean more to the exclusive side of things. MAG being the one I spent the most hours in.

photo FlashSig_zpsf2c14030.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 34 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Oct 16, 2013

I prefer both types, multiplatform and exclusives, though I found myself wanting more Xbox exclusives, hopefully this generation this won't be much of an issue. I think when Sony wants to blow competition out of the water and do something new for their system, they do it better than Microsoft could ever do at the time. Games like Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian (from what I've seen) are the types of games that change the industry and the respective genre. Other exclusives such as Uncharted and Killzone change their genre and cement their footsteps in the console's legacy. I prefer exclusives sometimes though because Sony and their developers push the console to their limit and utilize just about everything the console has to offer.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 34 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Oct 16, 2013
The only two playstation exclusives I have so far experienced are UC3 and TLOU. So I would have to say multiplat for the time being
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 34 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3509 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2013

I tend to gravitate to them equally.

I get equal satisfaction from both multiplatform and exclusive titles. Whenever I play a multiplatform game I usually enjoy them and they provide me with many hours of gameplay such as Rockstar titles, Assassin's Creed series, and Bethesda games. There are fewer exclusives but whenever I have played an exclusive it has been absolutely amazing. The Ratchet and Clank series (PS2-PS3) and The Last of Us, and both have provided me with such great experiences, it rivals the experience from multiplatform games.

First party games are more unique than multiplatform games. I have never played a game like The Last of Us, Uncharted series, and Ratchet and Clank series that was a multiplatform game. I find with multiplatform games a lot of them offer the same things. For example, GTA and Saints Row. Both offer an open world environment in which you can do whatever you want (for the most part). You can drive around, shoot guns, punch, jump, and do all sorts of stuff. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is that many multiplatform games use the basic formula. Here's another example, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Medal of Honour. These three games offer the same basic premise, you shoot and you kill in a first-person perspective.

I think multplatform and exclusives have the same amount of satisfaction to deliver. With multiplatform games you have games such as Fallout, Skyrim, GTA, Saints Row, and others in which you have an open world and can do many things, and some of them have a very good story. You can also put many, many hours into each game just to do everything. You can put a tremendous amount of hours into games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield just for one particular part of it, the multiplayer. On the other hand, you have exclusive titles such as the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and Ratchet and Clank (there are more). These games (not all) provide you with such unique gameplay and narrative that even though they are outnumbered by the multiplatform games, they deliver the same amount of satisfaction.

I think the developer of the game usually determines how good the game is and as a result they obviously affect the experience I have which is why when I look at a video game I'm interested in, I also look at the developer. There are some developers which I will not buy a game they made. One such developer is the people who created the movie-game, Battleship. This game is just awful and since there are developing the new Killer Instinct title I will never, ever play Killer Instinct and give them money through their microtransactions at the same time. A well known developer (or publisher?) in which they usually determine my enjoyment from a game in Capcom. Lately, the titles they have been producing have been mediocre and as a result I have had as much fun with their titles as I would have in the past when they made good, quality video games. I will still buy Capcom games, just not at full price.

These are just my thoughts/opinions and I have not played every single multiplatform and exclusive title.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 34 (170 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1197 posts

Oct 16, 2013

I have been on Uncharted 2 and 3 for years so I definately lean towards exclusives but that's not to say if I enjoy a multi as much or more i wouldnt play it.  I dont have a preference so to speak just look for games a can enjoy.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 34 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2245 posts

Oct 16, 2013

umm..both? I dont care if its exclusive or multi-plat. A good game is a good game.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 34 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2419 posts

Oct 16, 2013

johngie wrote:
Both, and anyone who says otherwise disappoints me. Whilst they defend their opinion, I point to games like Bioshock and Dishonored and say "Get out."

Bioshock is extremely overrated. I go majority exclusives over multiplats, the reason why I bought a ps3. If you played nothing but multiplats I feel like you wasted your money on a ps3.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 34 (159 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5446 posts

Oct 16, 2013

I love good games, period.  Frankly, between the PS3's use of the Blu Ray drive (versus the DVD-ROM drive of the 360), and the PS4 not relying on the cloud for graphical processing, I know that, with Sony, I'm always getting a better experience, no matter who publishes the game.

That said, I like a good game, no matter who the publisher is.  It is entirely possible to pump millions of dollars into a game that's just unplayable, or no fun.  Give me a good, memorable, and, wherever possible, replayable experience, and I'm there.

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 34 (151 Views)
Wastelander
696 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 16, 2013

Multiplatform which is why I'm here now, I have no problem switching over to the ps4 next gen. Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect are my favorite games and they'll defintly be on this console too, and hopefully no more problems like the ps3 skyrim in their next game.

I did like halo but I don't think I'll miss it, halo 3 was the last great game, 4 was a big dissapointment and with bungie making destiny on playstation now I'll have a lot of fun with that and won't miss halo at all. If it wasnt for destiny coming out on ps4 I think I might of had to stick with xbox one which I really didn't want to get anymore... I'm sick of paying for ads and I'm sick of everything requiring gold, even the web browser, and I haven't liked the 360's dashboard since it first launched with the bladed theme.

As for sonys exclusives, idk I'd like to see The Last of Us get a port to ps4 because I don't have a ps3, would be nice. And the final fantasy games have always been my favorite on playstation 1, but the newer ones are multiplatform now so I guess both sides can enjoy them.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 34 (137 Views)
0 Likes