Aug 27 2013
By: Kali_boiz_4life Sackboy 484 posts

Do you think games are for kids and no life people?

62 replies 810 views Edited Aug 27, 2013

I have relatives age from 30 to 50 always lecturing me and my brothers about playing games. Every time they come over, they always tell us that games are for kids and people with no life. Telling us to grow up and stop playing games. Telling our parents to hide or throw our games away. Im like fk, we spend thousands of dollars on systems and games, we aint gonna throw them away just cause you say so. Who gives them the right to tell us we cant play games. They always talking behind our backs to other family members that we are kids and still playing games, we have no life always playing our games 24/7 and stuff. Its stupid. I hate how these old people who grew up never playing games, think gaming are for kids and no life people. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 63 (810 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5662 posts

Re: Do you think games are for kids and no life people?

Aug 27, 2013
Why would they think that, games relieve stress which is healthy for you, but games can be relaxing as well. It only become a problem if you become addicted to them and they take over your life. Other then that, no games are for anyone of any age.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 63 (800 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4866 posts

Aug 27, 2013
Maybe about ten years ago. Gaming has taken a giant leap and it's even considered cool now. Just sounds like your relatives are stuck in the past.
 photo NorphSig.png

"Postman Pat has a black and white cat, what does Big Boss have? NOTHING! THATS WHAT! HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TWO FUNCTIONAL EYES LIKE PAT. OR A VAN!" - F0X
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 63 (799 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13051 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

I have relatives age from 30 to 50 always lecturing me and my brothers about playing games. Every time they come over, they always tell us that games are for kids and people with no life. Telling us to grow up and stop playing games. Telling our parents to hide or throw our games away. Im like fk, we spend thousands of dollars on systems and games, we aint gonna throw them away just cause you say so. Who gives them the right to tell us we cant play games. They always talking behind our backs to other family members that we are kids and still playing games, we have no life always playing our games 24/7 and stuff. Its stupid. I hate how these old people who grew up never playing games, think gaming are for kids and no life people. 

It's like any media or entertainment.

People watch TV for fun, people listen to music for fun.

It's basically one step ahead though unless your watching live music or theatre, interactive entertainment.

But theres a stigma with old people that associate gaming as toys and toys are commonly used by the younger generation.

When we are old though something new would probably be out there and we wont understand it either. It's our job to educate the older generation.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 63 (794 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14049 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Games are most certainly not for children. With the rise and proliferation of murder simulators in the gaming community I have to wonder why any parent would willingly relegate their child to night long training sessions focused upon the slaughter of innocent civilians. Throwing away such seditious and sordid content would be the American thing to do; protecting our youth from an antisocial future characterized by violence and lonlieness. 

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 63 (788 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1197 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

If you have people saying that it may be time to look in to how much time you are spending on gaming.  It can definately be a part of your life but I dont think it is healthy to be the only activity you enjoy.  I dont know your habits or anything but if your family members are concerned by how much time you are spending on games it may be time for you to track how much time you spend playing your games per day/week/ month and how much time you put into other activites such as reading or outside activites and see exactly where you are at and how much time you and your parents think is appropriate to spend gaming.

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 63 (783 Views)
Lombax Warrior
92 posts

Aug 27, 2013

No, games are for everyone. Games are fun. You can have a life and still get a few gaming sessions in.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 63 (773 Views)
Fender Bender
2941 posts

Aug 27, 2013
I am a full time single dad with 3 kids, 2 of which also love video games. I run a non-profit youth organization. I also work from home with a home based business. I have traveled around the world several times (2 months ago I stayed in a 500 year old hotel next to Christopher Columbus's son's home). I work out 3-4 times per week. I attend church each week. I have an amazing girlfriend and beautiful girlfriend. I read several books per month. I work with some of the best athletes in the country. I AM A GAMER!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 63 (762 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Aug 27, 2013

That's a really bad attitude to have toward anything and is a stereotype. 

You can be productive and play video games. 

You can "have a life" and play video games. 

You can be successful and play video games. 

I'd simply calmly and rationaly ask your relatives to keep their misinformed opinions to themselves. If that doesn't work I'd consider pointing out a less than productive hobby they might have and use some of the same criticisms they levy against video games to add some frame of reference. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 63 (758 Views)
Sackboy
484 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

Me personally, i play like 4-5 hours a day. But our ps3 is always on. Only time its off is at night when we go to sleep. The reason is, me and my brothers, we take turns playing our ps3. When im done playing, one of my bro would get on and play. So basically, its always on. We all work full time, its not like we only play games and nothing else. But old peoples, they just think games is for kids. btw, me and my brothers, we are age 18-25. So we are not kids. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 63 (756 Views)
0 Likes