Mar 23 2014
By: Pootie_tangz First Son 3 posts

Do you think the PS4 multimedia was deliberately disabled?

[ Edited ]
70 replies 968 views Edited Mar 23, 2014

I purchased a ps4 2 days ago and just discovered that you can't play mp3 or any other multimedia on the system and I'm infuriated by this.  I felt that I downgraded from a ps3.  I even called gamestop and almost begged for a refund, but no, so I'm stuck with it.  

So, I called Sony 2 separate times to  ask about multimedia features.  The first time "why was the feature removed?" he replied "well, we want to support more gamely".  I explained to him that even if that is the case, it does not justify completely removing the feature as the capability is in the system.  Asked him "if you're focusing on gaming, then why have Sony Music Unlimited?" this baffled him and said that this feature is a predatory way to gain subscriber to the SMU.  I called the second time 20 minutes later and asked the same question, this was a bit more of an analytical thinker as he said the same excuse as per Palpitation Guilin "focusing on games" he put out a personal reason and agreed with me that it is to gain Sony music Unlimited subscriptions.  

Bottom line, it's not like I don't have money, it's the idea behind.  Deliberately blocking a feature, and forcing us to purchase something that most have.  I can't see my movies, photos or music anymore and have have my ps3 on standby just to do that.  I'm guessing that's why Sony moved away from the slogan "It only does everything".  Anybody thought anything different?

Mod Edit: Edited title for clarity. Check here for more information. Also 

Removed and Added appropriate labels. Look her for more information!

-Coldhandzz

Message 1 of 71 (968 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Re: PS4 multimedia deliberately disabled

Mar 23, 2014
So you don't feel like you downgraded when you started using mp3's to begin with?

I'm actually happy they left these casual consumer features out. It means they put all their resources into making the best possible gaming platform they could at a $400 price point without all these non gaming features getting in the way of development. All this other stuff can come later with software updates just like the PS3.
Message 2 of 71 (959 Views)
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Pootie_tangz wrote:

I purchased a ps4 2 days ago and just discovered that you can't play mp3 or any other multimedia on the system and I'm infuriated by this.  I felt that I downgraded from a ps3.  I even called gamestop and almost begged for a refund, but no, so I'm stuck with it.  

So, I called Sony 2 separate times to  ask about multimedia features.  The first time "why was the feature removed?" he replied "well, we want to support more gamely".  I explained to him that even if that is the case, it does not justify completely removing the feature as the capability is in the system.  Asked him "if you're focusing on gaming, then why have Sony Music Unlimited?" this baffled him and said that this feature is a predatory way to gain subscriber to the SMU.  I called the second time 20 minutes later and asked the same question, this was a bit more of an analytical thinker as he said the same excuse as per Palpitation Guilin "focusing on games" he put out a personal reason and agreed with me that it is to gain Sony music Unlimited subscriptions.  

Bottom line, it's not like I don't have money, it's the idea behind.  Deliberately blocking a feature, and forcing us to purchase something that most have.  I can't see my movies, photos or music anymore and have have my ps3 on standby just to do that.  I'm guessing that's why Sony moved away from the slogan "It only does everything".  Anybody thought anything different?

exactly.

the PS4 is a gaming machine designed with gaming at its fore frunt. the PS3 was designed as a media hub to play games, watch movies and listen to music.

Message 3 of 71 (956 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6016 posts

Mar 23, 2014

research.gif

Message 4 of 71 (944 Views)
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Why does everyone keep saying their focusing on just games, when truth is they're focusing on GAMES/SUBSCRIPTIONS.  If you want to go the GAME route, don't allow custom soundtracks in the first place.  Requiring MUSIC UNLIMITED is a cash grab, and i won't bite.  One of the the great things i liked about my 360 (only kept for a couple months) was I could play hexic while listening to podcasts.  Sure I could just play the podcast through another device, but then I'm competing w/ in game music requiring settings changes (if even available) to lower the volume.  Sure you can make it work, but if you're gonna give us the feature, don't require a sub, that's almost MICROSOFTESQUE.

Message 5 of 71 (928 Views)
Sackboy
432 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Wow, I remember everyone saying they wanted a console that is for gaming and not an all in one media center. Now, you got exactly what you wanted, and complain there aren't enough features. Which mind you, there are a lot of things coming later on in updates to the system. And when they do, are you going to whine about how much they're concentrating on multimedia stuff and not focusing enough on the games?

Message 6 of 71 (910 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Mar 23, 2014
@plathunterplus

But in another sense, they did all this stuff last gen and lost $5 billion. I know it's a sad reality but it's quite possible that subscriptions could be the deciding factor in this brands future. Sony can sell all the PS4's they want to. If there is no profit this time around, I wouldn't count on a PS5.
Message 7 of 71 (898 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@plathunterplus

But in another sense, they did all this stuff last gen and lost $5 billion. I know it's a sad reality but it's quite possible that subscriptions could be the deciding factor in this brands future. Sony can sell all the PS4's they want to. If there is no profit this time around, I wouldn't count on a PS5.

good point, but i woudn't discredit the ill will garnered as evident in all these threads.  I will NEVER pay a subscription to play music I already own.  It's silly.  Heck, I would never pay a subsciption fee for music period, as these services offer no guarantee as to their longevity.  Not to mention they're all platform specific.  Want music on your ps3, get MUSIC UNLIMITED....your phone?  GOOGLE PLAY, nah, i'll stick w/ my mp3's.

Message 8 of 71 (893 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3928 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Sorry you were not better informed. MP3 is coming. No need to worry.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 9 of 71 (885 Views)
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Mar 23, 2014

I like how the company line here is, you should have known better.  Smiley Happy  lol, not knowing doesn't make it right.

Message 10 of 71 (867 Views)