Treasure Hunter
4685 posts

Re: PS4 multimedia deliberately disabled

Mar 23, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
So you don't feel like you downgraded when you started using mp3's to begin with?

I'm actually happy they left these casual consumer features out. It means they put all their resources into making the best possible gaming platform they could at a $400 price point without all these non gaming features getting in the way of development. All this other stuff can come later with software updates just like the PS3.

I've never understand this rationale. What "resources" would be lost by having CD and MP3 support on the PS4? The features that were left out are so incredibly basic that it seems to me like someone would have to actually go out of their way to deliberately exclude them.

Message 11 of 71 (847 Views)
Sackboy
492 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Pootie_tangz wrote:

I purchased a ps4 2 days ago and just discovered that you can't play mp3 or any other multimedia on the system and I'm infuriated by this.  I felt that I downgraded from a ps3.  I even called gamestop and almost begged for a refund, but no, so I'm stuck with it.  

So, I called Sony 2 separate times to  ask about multimedia features.  The first time "why was the feature removed?" he replied "well, we want to support more gamely".  I explained to him that even if that is the case, it does not justify completely removing the feature as the capability is in the system.  Asked him "if you're focusing on gaming, then why have Sony Music Unlimited?" this baffled him and said that this feature is a predatory way to gain subscriber to the SMU.  I called the second time 20 minutes later and asked the same question, this was a bit more of an analytical thinker as he said the same excuse as per Palpitation Guilin "focusing on games" he put out a personal reason and agreed with me that it is to gain Sony music Unlimited subscriptions.  

Bottom line, it's not like I don't have money, it's the idea behind.  Deliberately blocking a feature, and forcing us to purchase something that most have.  I can't see my movies, photos or music anymore and have have my ps3 on standby just to do that.  I'm guessing that's why Sony moved away from the slogan "It only does everything".  Anybody thought anything different?

Well, did you update your system? Because I can see all my movies and tv shows. I hope that Sony includes mp3 and CD reading.

Message 12 of 71 (844 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2014
Well if it's so cheap to do, why don't you fork out the money?

Some people want this feature. Other people want that feature. No matter what they add, people will still complain. Bbbbbut what about my feature? It's easy to do and should be there. So you can't play your sucky MP3's yet. Big deal. They are not a profitable feature so they take a back seat. You shouldn't be depending on a power hungry console for media anyway. Give your system a break when you aren't playing games. Especially janky files like MP3 that I can't believe people actually pay money for.
Message 13 of 71 (835 Views)
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Mar 23, 2014
Are CD's obsolete enough to warrant this being the first PS console to not be able to play them? I am not sure, I wouldn't use then anyway, it did seem odd you couldn't yet. I guess the fact that they said you would be able to use them after a future update kind of answers the question.
Message 14 of 71 (824 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Couldn't agree more. The PS1, PS2 and PS3 all had mp3 support. Those were all gaming machines. Now we have Music Unlimited, a service where I can pay to to play music I already own. 

p.s.

Ignore the Sony Defense Squad. They have no lives.

Message 15 of 71 (823 Views)
VP of Gaming
35428 posts

Mar 23, 2014

the ps4 should not have been called playstation 4 because of this downgrade

Message 16 of 71 (819 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
274 posts

Mar 23, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

the ps4 should not have been called playstation 4 because of this downgrade

PS 2.5 with better graphics, but less features than the PS3.

Message 17 of 71 (816 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6100 posts

Mar 23, 2014
Meh mp3 support is coming. Also just throwing this out there but you people whining about the mp3 support are a very vocal minority. The reason sony wasnt bothering with mp3 and media server support is due to the fact that barely anyone used it on the ps3. Seriously. Its one of those "want what you cant have" type of things. No one cared until sony said it was gone.

You can complain all you want about how you used it but sony saw the raw data and it wasnt worth it to do it. Everyone complained afterwards and they said theyd look to add it back as a goodwill gesture.

As for the "well I dont want to use music unlimited" you dont have to. But raw data will also back up that music streaming is becoming the standard in how people listen to music. Pandora, spotify, and MU have large user bases, which makes having the service on psn both beneficial to the average person and profitable for sony.

Its logic. The cheapest, fastest, most profitable way for you to listen to music on a console. Which I still dont use.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 18 of 71 (808 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Mar 23, 2014

plathunterplus wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@plathunterplus

But in another sense, they did all this stuff last gen and lost $5 billion. I know it's a sad reality but it's quite possible that subscriptions could be the deciding factor in this brands future. Sony can sell all the PS4's they want to. If there is no profit this time around, I wouldn't count on a PS5.

good point, but i woudn't discredit the ill will garnered as evident in all these threads.  I will NEVER pay a subscription to play music I already own.  It's silly.  Heck, I would never pay a subsciption fee for music period, as these services offer no guarantee as to their longevity.  Not to mention they're all platform specific.  Want music on your ps3, get MUSIC UNLIMITED....your phone?  GOOGLE PLAY, nah, i'll stick w/ my mp3's.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but with so many ill-informed gamers out there clamoring to have more and more digital releases on games, it won't be all that long before the game companies decide to just stop making discs and only develop consoles that will stream games to the consumer and there will be zero physical ownership of the games.  Piracy will be eliminated, and the only way you'll be able to play games is if you have a fast, lag-free internet connection that is online.  As all games will be housed on the company servers, once they decide that they don't want the games being played anymore, they will be gone forever and never be available to play ever again.

It's not something that will happen all at once, but it will happen as long as people keep demanding and paying for digital only items,  This whole thing with the music unlimited subscription as opposed to allowing .mp3 or CD support is just the tip of a very nasty iceberg that will mark the beginning of the end of gaming for me, and other people who care about the history of the games and the ability to play them on OUR terms, not the terms of the console manufacturers.

Message 19 of 71 (806 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 23, 2014

To the OP, Alternatives are: PS3 and PC. Those play audio.

Sony OnPlayStation retail member

Sony at Fifa: #OneStadium
Sony: One Sony
Sony: make.believe
BRAVIA: Feel the Beauty
BRAVIA 4K: Be Moved
Walkman: For music lovers, by music lovers
PlayStation 3: Long, Live, Play
PlayStation 4: Greatness Awaits, The Best Place to Play
Message 20 of 71 (795 Views)
0 Likes