Survivor
2504 posts

Re: PS4 multimedia deliberately disabled

Mar 23, 2014
"I explained to him that even if that is the case, it does not justify completely removing the feature as the capability is in the system."

It was never removed because it was never there to begin with. This has been public knowledge since way before the system launched.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 21 of 71 (562 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2014

Although I do sympathize I always found it really weird that people would use such a big noisy power hungry device like the PS3 or PS4 to play mp3s. In this day and age there are so many other devices that can do it better and more conveniently, I don't really understand why people care that it's missing. I myself own 4 other devices capable of playing mp3s, all of which are smaller, make less noise and 2 of them probably produce better sound anyway. Video I would completely understand.

Also mp3s are really gross. Flacs people!

Message 22 of 71 (553 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Mar 23, 2014

I'm certain they have to enable the multimedia sooner or later.  To be honest I probably wouldnt even care much if mp3 wasn't available, its the photos and movies is what I like to have save on the hard drive to watch and share.  I used the word "disabled" because it's built with the feature, and they had gone out of their way... to disable it in order to force subscription.  Doesn't matter a whole lot I have a computer that can do what I want.  It's the fact that they thought it was a good idea to do this pisses me off.

Message 23 of 71 (541 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11357 posts

Mar 23, 2014

I would just like to point out that this topic is based on misinformation.  Just like the other 1,897,787,378,267,487,487 threads on this topic.

It is impossible to 'disable' something that was never there in the first place.  Deliberately or not.

The media player for these things simply has not been created.  Yet.

Message 24 of 71 (535 Views)
MVP Support
6207 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Would like to mention that while I have no good excuse to give in regards to why not all the features are part of the PS4, some do remember that I did a Twitter campaign for DLNA, MP3, and external hard drive support. The original FAQ said they weren't even going to have said features but after tweeting all my contacts and getting the people on the forum on board, the FAQ has an annotation saying they are going to look into implementing it as soon as possible now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-12-sony-is-working-to-add-mp3-and-cd-support-to-the-ps4

While not a full blown answer we all wanted but at least our voices were heard. With that in mind, many wanted Archiving for Twitch, being able to export shares off the PS4 via USB stick, HDCP off for external capture devices, and better editing tools for the share button and Sony will be delivering an update for just that.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/19/upcoming-ps4-update-to-add-share-enhancements-and-hdcp-off...

While the console maybe should have had the same features as the PS3, we are just gamers here whose knowledge of the console comes from websites and being to plug it in. We don't know what the inner workings are in regards to a console, we may think we do when in reality - we don't, we aren't programmers. All the programs/features being used for the PS3 for all we know are coded for use with the CELL processor and PS3 internals in general and come to find out that they tried to do a simple port job and it bricked consoles when they QA'd the work. Thus having to recode features from scratch and check on multiple consoles for days to make sure the console still is functioning and playing games. Like the bare bones launch PS3, in time, all the features we wanted came to be what we love about the PS3, the same will be with the PS4.

In regards to taking away features, Shuhei mentioned they never did though, they just never implemented them in time for launch.  

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/396029186474639360

They are actually trying to implement most of the features we want in a timely manner according to them.

On our time clock? No, but wouldn't we all rather them do enough testing to make sure it's working properly and not bork our consoles? I've heard some horror stories of the PS3, glad my PS3 is doing fine *knock on wood*.

Message 25 of 71 (525 Views)
Gaming Beast
1779 posts

Mar 23, 2014

WOW, just ,WOW. You bought your PS4 just 2 DAYS AGO, and just now realize what it does and doesn't do? You really are a well informed shopper aren't you! The PS4 has been out ,what, almost 5 months now, right? You are just a little late in the game with your complaint and your "theory". I also have a feeling you never called Gamestop, or Sony, and talked to them, Gamestop, MAYBE, but not Sony. Please crawl back under the closest  bridge and continue to stay misinformed, thank you! Oh don't forget about the goats!

Message 26 of 71 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
38842 posts

Mar 23, 2014

i find it crazy how some people use the argument

oh if you want those features just keep your ps3 and use your ps3 for that

so i have to go to a 10 year old machine last generation to use something that my new ps4 system cant do

also before anyone writes this because i see that this is popular now
 the fact that people didnt do their research lol

first it was keep your ps3

now its just you shoulda done yer reeesearchhhhh durrrrrrrrrrrrr

ps4 shoulda had all this stuff long time ago

Message 27 of 71 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Mar 23, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

so i have to go to a 10 year old machine last generation to use something that my new ps4 system cant do

It was clearly announced what the PS4 can and cant do feature wise before it even hit store shelves. If people expevth and expect that and then whine cause they didnt get it. There are a few words. Never assume anything it maks a (you can figure the rest). Sony announced it wouldnt have MP3 support out of the box or CDs. Far as CDs I see it this way. PS1 used CDs for its games it hat to support it. PS2 was the same due to some being on CDs and otheres DVDs. PS3 was sold to do more than just gaming. Sony pushed media features on PS3 so it supports Cds. PS4 there is no real needs. All the games is on BR media. We dont stick a gaming CD into them. We stick a gaming BR Disk instead.

Message 28 of 71 (494 Views)
MVP Support
6207 posts

Mar 23, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Shouldn't this thread be merged into the other thread we have here the forum you and few others were a part of a day or two ago, eh HiTmAN_90 Smiley Wink

To your point, I know there are people upset to not have the features they loved in their PS3 but I'm sure within time, they will be implemented in the PS4. Maybe E3?

Message 29 of 71 (491 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
38842 posts

Mar 23, 2014

Black0Panther wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

It was clearly announced what the PS4 can and cant do feature wise before it even hit store shelves. If people expevth and expect that and then whine cause they didnt get it. There are a few words. Never assume anything it maks a (you can figure the rest). Sony announced it wouldnt have MP3 support out of the box or CDs. Far as CDs I see it this way. PS1 used CDs for its games it hat to support it. PS2 was the same due to some being on CDs and otheres DVDs. PS3 was sold to do more than just gaming. Sony pushed media features on PS3 so it supports Cds. PS4 there is no real needs. All the games is on BR media. We dont stick a gaming CD into them. We stick a gaming BR Disk instead.

some people did do their research and still dont agree with what we are offered

i remember when i complained about the ps4 before i bought mine

people were like

ohh you dont even have a ps4 so why are you worried blah blah Smiley Indifferent

now when i bought mine recently all i see is

ohh you shoulda done yer ressssearchh duuurrrrrrrrrrrka durrrrrr

some people might have expected things to be in the ps4 that were in the ps3... because why did they put t in the ps3 and not the ps4 why are they so weird

people have a right to complain about this and telling them that they just shoulda done their research is a pointless argument

Message 30 of 71 (490 Views)
0 Likes