Reply
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2009
Online
13184 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 18, 2014

well it could be cool to bring Steamwork support to PS4. since PS3 already have one with Portal 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

 

imagen if they bring one of the games over to PS4. and no im NOT TALKING about Half-Life 3

 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 11 of 34 (10,324 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/30/2008
Offline
3220 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 20, 2014
I have a co worker friend that is on the fence on weather to get a ps 4 or a steam box. Since the steam box wont be out for a while it would be easier to get a ps4 but the thing is there are hardly any ps4 to get right now. Right now i am glad he has decided to stay away from the xbone anyway.
Message 12 of 34 (10,306 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Offline
13608 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 20, 2014

mdwalke wrote:
I have a co worker friend that is on the fence on weather to get a ps 4 or a steam box. Since the steam box wont be out for a while it would be easier to get a ps4 but the thing is there are hardly any ps4 to get right now. Right now i am glad he has decided to stay away from the xbone anyway.

Just tell him to buy a gaming PC (if he doesn't decide to get a PS4)

 

Steam Box=Over glorified PC that can only run Linux Steam games, and use a poorly designed controller.

 

Might as well build his own PC for the same price, buy a DS4 for controller support (Or just stick with KB/M)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 13 of 34 (10,297 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2009
Online
13184 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

[ Edited ]
Jan 21, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

mdwalke wrote:
I have a co worker friend that is on the fence on weather to get a ps 4 or a steam box. Since the steam box wont be out for a while it would be easier to get a ps4 but the thing is there are hardly any ps4 to get right now. Right now i am glad he has decided to stay away from the xbone anyway.

Steam Box=Over glorified PC that can only run Linux Steam games, and use a poorly designed controller.

 


and also a option to use Keyboard and Mouse or Regular Controller!

 

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

 

Screenshot_3.jpg

 

 

and also some 3rd party's Steam Machines' (such as Origin PC’s Chronos and Digital Storm’s Bolt II) have they own Dual-Boots. aka SteamOS and Windows 7 or 8.1

 

 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 14 of 34 (10,279 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Offline
13608 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 21, 2014
Still cheaper to build your own
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 34 (10,271 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28980 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 21, 2014

al2009man wrote:

well it could be cool to bring Steamwork support to PS4. since PS3 already have one with Portal 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

 

imagen if they bring one of the games over to PS4. and no im NOT TALKING about Half-Life 3


Steamworks serves only one purpose; to lock any other games from being carried on a digital store front that is not Steam. By it's very nature, Steamworks ensures that a game can only run through Steam, thus granting Valve a defacto monopoly on digital distribution. I pay for a GAME, not to install their digital storefront on my computer. 

 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_245/7285-Steam-A-Monopoly-In-the-Making

Message 16 of 34 (10,269 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/09/2012
Offline
1523 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 21, 2014
Dumb op is dumb. But anyway steambox is not a console. Get that out of your heard. Valve is not marketing it as a console so do not treat it like one. It can do more functions and has better graphics than the ps4 of course its higher.
Goodbye home
Message 17 of 34 (10,250 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 21, 2014

Bradley_Davis129 wrote:
Dumb op is dumb. But anyway steambox is not a console. Get that out of your heard. Valve is not marketing it as a console so do not treat it like one. It can do more functions and has better graphics than the ps4 of course its higher.

Say what you like, but Steam is trying to compete with the console market, even if they are primarily targeting existing PC gamers (according to Gabe, anyway), it's still direct competition.  Also, it's meant to be a plug-n-play, gaming-exclusive system.  It's a stone's throw from being a console, and the OP certainly makes a case for that, as well as making a case that Valve is being extremely confusing with their press and marketing for the SteamBox.

 

I am in no way in the Steambox's corner, as every opportunity it presented was quickly dashed with the near-dozen models revealed.  I say, develop a great controller, work on a great dual-bootable Steam OS, and let PC gamers do what they do best - build PCs.  

 

Spoiler
Or just, you know, release a maximum of two models of the thing so that one of them might actually sell, and establish a more solid base of specs for Steam games.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 18 of 34 (10,234 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2009
Online
13184 posts
 

Re: Steam's support

Jan 21, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:
Still cheaper to build your own

but depending on the price.

 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 19 of 34 (10,221 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/09/2012
Offline
1523 posts
 

Re: Does the PS4 Support Steam Games?

Jan 21, 2014
If its a console just because its a plug in play that means OMFG dell has entered the console scene along with Hp.
Goodbye home
Message 20 of 34 (10,201 Views)
0 Likes