MVP Support
13517 posts

Re: Don't understand the complaints about Madden 25, I love it.

Sep 5, 2013

The older Madden games had custom playbooks........

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 21 of 39 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13008 posts

Sep 5, 2013
Now going back on topic

The last madden game I played was madden 11 (Undefeated in the last 2 years atm) and I liked it. Nowadays I just find the game so fast paced.
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 22 of 39 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Sep 5, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Crazy-MoFo-024 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

People are complaing because big bad Electronic Arts has an exclusive deal with the NFL, and they won't be "swell guys" and share. That's the only reason. The game itself is secondary. Football is football. Unless you have a major rules change, expansion or contraction, realignment, or franchise relocation, there's not much you can really do. You already have franchise modes, fantasy and coaching modes. I imagine that most players aren't creative enough to draw up their own plays, and if they did they probably wouldn't work very well, so a custom playbook is out.

Sorry but no... The NFL2K series was better in every concievable way. From graphics, AI, controls, additional game content, EVERYTHING was superior.  PLUS it was $30 cheaper!!!!!    Since EA bought the rights to the NFL the Madden Franchise has undergone only the most minor of improvements.   

All this talk of football games makes me wish my PS2 still worked so I could play some NFL2K5... I would bet that NFL2K5 is STILL to this very day better than the latest Madden release in terms of gameplay and content.   Yet Madden is STILL overpriced at $60 each year!!    

I actually feel sorry for football fans who have no other option than Madden, so they actually think it's "good"

And why do people still have such a yearning for 2K? Because the big, meanie, greedy, poopie head corporation EA won't play nice. That's all it is. And for the record, EA didn't "buy the rights", the NFL offered up exclusivity, and if someone made you that offer, you'd take it in a heartbeat.

I admit, 2K was good, very good, but the only reason it was cheaper was so they could get a foothold in the market. They weren't being swell guys, or bringing games to the masses. It was all about market share.

People have a yearning for 2K because it was a vastly superior game in every way (how many times can we say it)  - it has nothing to do with EA "not playing nice"     - And for the record, EA offered to buy before NFL offered to sell... (why do you think NFL suddenly offered to sell exclusivity after all those years?)   - The end result.. Madden games are very poorly done, but it's the only football game available now so that makes it "the best" 

Also it doesn't matter one bit why NFL2K was cheaper. What matters is that it was cheaper while offering a significantly better experience over Madden.   Plus having a competitor actually made both developers want to actually improve their game.     

Message 23 of 39 (213 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13517 posts

Sep 5, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Now going back on topic

The last madden game I played was madden 11 (Undefeated in the last 2 years atm) and I liked it. Nowadays I just find the game so fast paced.

Probably because 

A: Gameflow

B: Accelerated clock is on by default (I hate it, so I turn it off)

Message 24 of 39 (212 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28523 posts

Sep 5, 2013

in the interest of saving space....

It's a good idea in theory. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what would go into making a mode like that. I do know that when it comes right down to it, you'd be starting at a screen like this for quite a while;

Basic diagram

The real problem is that you have to come up with plays for any number of situations on the field;

• 1st and 10
  • 2 and 10
  • 3rd and 10
  • 4th and inches
  • 4th and 5
  • 2nd and 5
  • Fakes
  • Special Teams
  • Two minute drills
  • Goaline offense
  • Red Zone offense
  • 2nd and Long
  • Two Point Conversion
  • I-Formation
  • Pro-Formation
  • Weak Side Flood
  • Three wide out
  • Play Action
  • QB Waggle
  • Man in Motion
  • Sweeps
  • Traps

There's more, but that's off the top of my head, and all 11 players on the field have to be reacting and running routes to whatever you have them, which is a huge variable. Maybe it could be done on the PS4, but there would be much more than just "Hardcore Mode or Casual Mode".

Message 25 of 39 (208 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13517 posts

Sep 5, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It's a good idea in theory. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what would go into making a mode like that. I do know that when it comes right down to it, you'd be starting at a screen like this for quite a while;

Basic diagram

The real problem is that you have to come up with plays for any number of situations on the field;

• 1st and 10
  • 2 and 10
  • 3rd and 10
  • 4th and inches
  • 4th and 5
  • 2nd and 5
  • Fakes
  • Special Teams
  • Two minute drills
  • Goaline offense
  • Red Zone offense
  • 2nd and Long
  • Two Point Conversion
  • I-Formation
  • Pro-Formation
  • Weak Side Flood
  • Three wide out
  • Play Action
  • QB Waggle
  • Man in Motion
  • Sweeps
  • Traps

There's more, but that's off the top of my head, and all 11 players on the field have to be reacting and running routes to whatever you have them, which is a huge variable. Maybe it could be done on the PS4, but there would be much more than just "Hardcore Mode or Casual Mode".

But the custom playbook in games like Madden 04 were good enough, and they weren't difficult.

You didn't have to have people literally track opponents.

For example, the line men you just set to either "Rush Block" or "Pass Block" and they did just that, just like all the pre-made plays that you see.

You can then draw player's routes, add options, etc.

Same with defense. You could set zones, man-to-man, etc.

It's really not that hard to draw up plays. I made a huge custom playbook in Madden 04 and it worked just fine.

Message 26 of 39 (202 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28523 posts

Sep 5, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Basic diagram

• 1st and 10
  • 2 and 10
  • 3rd and 10
  • 4th and inches
  • 4th and 5
  • 2nd and 5
  • Fakes
  • Special Teams
  • Two minute drills
  • Goaline offense
  • Red Zone offense
  • 2nd and Long
  • Two Point Conversion
  • I-Formation
  • Pro-Formation
  • Weak Side Flood
  • Three wide out
  • Play Action
  • QB Waggle
  • Man in Motion
  • Sweeps
  • Traps

But the custom playbook in games like Madden 04 were good enough, and they weren't difficult.

For example, the line men you just set to either "Rush Block" or "Pass Block" and they did just that, just like all the pre-made plays that you see.

It's really not that hard to draw up plays. I made a huge custom playbook in Madden 04 and it worked just fine.

Actually you know what? That's a rather streamlined way of doing it, and I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. You have a set play as a template, and you make some changes.

Message 27 of 39 (199 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13517 posts

Sep 5, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Basic diagram

• 1st and 10
  • 2 and 10
  • 3rd and 10
  • 4th and inches
  • 4th and 5
  • 2nd and 5
  • Fakes
  • Special Teams
  • Two minute drills
  • Goaline offense
  • Red Zone offense
  • 2nd and Long
  • Two Point Conversion
  • I-Formation
  • Pro-Formation
  • Weak Side Flood
  • Three wide out
  • Play Action
  • QB Waggle
  • Man in Motion
  • Sweeps
  • Traps

Actually you know what? That's a rather streamlined way of doing it, and I have to admit, it's not a bad idea. You have a set play as a template, and you make some changes.

You can actually do that (or rather, you could)

Instead of drawing up COMPLETELY fresh plays (which, by default, had everyone do run block), you could choose to "edit" an existing play, and save it as a brand new play.

It was a really neat feature, and so I took a bunch of plays I sort of liked and just ended up tweaking them.

You could also test out plays to make sure they even worked (because you can adjust the positioning of each player and you don't want them running into each other, or finding out that your RB's position makes it impossible to do the handoff you designed)

Message 28 of 39 (197 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Crazy-MoFo-024 wrote:

People have a yearning for 2K because it was a vastly superior game in every way (how many times can we say it)  - it has nothing to do with EA "not playing nice"     - And for the record, EA offered to buy before NFL offered to sell... (why do you think NFL suddenly offered to sell exclusivity after all those years?)   - The end result.. Madden games are very poorly done, but it's the only football game available now so that makes it "the best" 

Also it doesn't matter one bit why NFL2K was cheaper. What matters is that it was cheaper while offering a significantly better experience over Madden.   Plus having a competitor actually made both developers want to actually improve their game.     

I agree. This is the only downfall to a developer having exclusive rights to the NFL (or any sport) -- no competition.

But, at least EA Sports is trying to evolve with the introduction of the "Ignite Engine."

I've only seen video, but I want to get my hands on the game and actually play / feel it. I want to see if there is actually a difference between Madden 25 on PS3 / Xbox 360 and the next-gen versions.

We just have to wait until Madden 25 hits PS4 / Xbox One.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 29 of 39 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Sep 5, 2013

Nightwish_1990 wrote:
Mlb only on ps4 also Smiley Happy

Suck it microshaft!

I'm sure "MLB 14: The Show" will be on PS4 and PS3 (and Vita)

If it happens to be the only MLB game on the market next year, I'll honestly feel bad for MLB fans that don't own a PS3/PS4/Vita.

But, I don't think it will stay like that for long. If nobody steps up to make a multiplatform MLB game in 2014, I assume somebody will by 2015. (EA Sports perhaps?)

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 30 of 39 (190 Views)
0 Likes