Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Survivor
2668 posts

Re: Dual Shock 4 - No Analog Buttons, opinions ??

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Using the R2 for Gas or whatever... Should be in a Driving Game, not X...

Because if you can develop the R2 Button to work as a Realistic Gas Peddle... It would look much better
then using X which is just a Button... And same goes for Firing a Gun...

But the thing is, when you switch these around, you end up with other Buttons Swopped around, too...
which I dun like...

There for I always use the Classic Button Maps for myself, too...
However, i'm quite used to both the X-Box & Playstation Controllers, I have no Problem with either layout...

I'm sure those who aren't used to the Controls, if Sony doesn't give an Option, then i'm sure you'll get used to them eventually...

some of us older playstation users just like using X for driving as it feels better to us and it makes sense to keep your long supporting fans happy.

if X is analog its more than just a button - its a pressure sensitive button.

as for using R2 instead of R1 to shoot, i dislike the idea of that even more than using R2 for driving and ive heard the same from lots of people, R2 is secondary or grenades to most people.

i dont think R1 being digital would affect using it for shooting so i dont think there is an issue there - just give the option of either.

i just think it would be a good idea to have analog face buttons (or the ability to switch from digital to analog) so that people have the option to use the classic controls if thats what they like best.

That doesnt mean that you have to use X instead of R2 - just have the option available.

Not having the option of analog also eliminated the possibility of playing some of the previous gen games.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 41 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Jul 4, 2013

I'll take a more precise controller thank you... Analog face buttons are a waste. 

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 41 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13272 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Blennerville wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Ever hear the expression "Six of one, a half dozen of the other"? Probably not.

We're splitting hairs here people, and venturing into obsessive compulsive territory. Really now, who honestly cares? You press the button. Does it work? Yeah it works. That's about all that really matters. Is it really that important to scrutinize every single detail?

are you a mod ??

your not very helpful, there is not need to make posts if they are not constructive.

i didnt think anything of removing vibrations from the Dual Shock 3, that literally offered nothing in terms of player input (only output - vibration if you crash etc.) - that really was completely overblown, not having rumble didnt stop you from playing games that were designed with rumble - i still only have my original sixaxis.

removing analog is different.

MVP's and Mods are different.

MVP's do tasks around the forums, they are separate from Sony and have their own opinions while a Mod would probably not show opinions or at least shouldn't.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 41 (352 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14685 posts

Jul 5, 2013

Im not going to buy one until they make the buttons have small pins that drain my blood slowly into the controller to power it to show how dedicated I am to SONY.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 41 (335 Views)
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Jul 5, 2013
Dedication to the max. Kudos for the laugh.
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 41 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2668 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 5, 2013

what was wrong with analog buttons on the DS3 and DS2 ? - they didnt seem to cause any issues then.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 41 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13272 posts

Jul 5, 2013

Blennerville wrote:

what was wrong with analog buttons on the DS3 and DS2 ?

how did accelerating work in driving games on PS1 ??

With great difficulty/

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 41 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 5, 2013

Blennerville wrote:

Snip snip snip

i also hope we are not forced to use the L2/R2 triggers to shoot on PS4 shooting games - gives us a choice. 

You will be using L2/R2. I hate to tell you this, but shooters don't tend to give you that kind of choice much, not with that, and I don't think this generation will change it. The shooting games will be led by the multi-generation titles, and trust me, it feels better using an analog trigger.

All the games that used different face buttons for various analog tasks will likely be remapped to the new analog buttons, and the control sets re-worked. In reality, there's no problem with this, not everything needs to stay the same. PS was holding itself back with the old controller mapping structure anyway.

I understand you've had a preference for doing something for a long time. Once upon a time I used the A/X button to accelerate too. If you really want to play a game, the adapt time doesn't take long at all. I would request that you support the console in moving forwards instead of backwards, keep in mind with Generation 8 coming out, the PS4 release date was almost a decade and a half ago. 

Plus, even if you're worried about less possible motions and actions, the touch-pad will definitely make up for that. Without a doubt.

Blennerville wrote:

some of us older playstation users just like using X for driving as it feels better to us and it makes sense to keep your long supporting fans happy.

if X is analog its more than just a button - its a pressure sensitive button.

as for using R2 instead of R1 to shoot, i dislike the idea of that even more than using R2 for driving and ive heard the same from lots of people, R2 is secondary or grenades to most people.

i dont think R1 being digital would affect using it for shooting so i dont think there is an issue there - just give the option of either.

i just think it would be a good idea to have analog face buttons (or the ability to switch from digital to analog) so that people have the option to use the classic controls if thats what they like best.

That doesnt mean that you have to use X instead of R2 - just have the option available.

Not having the option of analog also eliminated the possibility of playing some of the previous gen games.

You do realize though, that by doing that, you worsen everyone else's experience. Furthermore, I hate to say this, but the longest standing fans are the ones they have to worry about the least. Their main question is "What would make a person who doesn't have a PlayStation, want a PlayStation. And that's not a bad mentality to have to a degree, and I think this includes analog face buttons. It was an idea that was for 6th Generation (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) and then Xbox came up with a better idea in the 7th Generation with the 360 controller. Sticking to their guns made the DS3 a problem and a block to entry of the PS3 for many people.

Also, the world of gaming on consoles has gradually gotten simpler. No one wants to be switching button types all the time. I wouldn't mind, but most people do. Asking this of Sony really is kind of unfair. You're asking them to limit their current console by choices they made 15 years ago. That's really unfair to them.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 41 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2668 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 5, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

what was wrong with analog buttons on the DS3 and DS2 ?

how did accelerating work in driving games on PS1 ??

With great difficulty/

i just remember holding X in all the driving games back then - so did we had no control over how fast we went ??

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 41 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2668 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 5, 2013

Cosmosis_1080P wrote:

All the games that used different face buttons for various analog tasks will likely be remapped to the new analog buttons, and the control sets re-worked. In reality, there's no problem with this, not everything needs to stay the same. PS was holding itself back with the old controller mapping structure anyway.

I understand you've had a preference for doing something for a long time. Once upon a time I used the A/X button to accelerate too. If you really want to play a game, the adapt time doesn't take long at all.

Plus, even if you're worried about less possible motions and actions, the touch-pad will definitely make up for that. Without a doubt.

My Reply:

im just not sure about only having L2/R2 being analog - L1/R1 are digital  - with only 2 analog buttons you cant remap everything - some actions would be lert out.

i just think it would be a good idea to have analog face buttons or the ability to switch from digital to analog like the the analog button for the sticks on the DS1/DS2 so that people have the option to use the classic controls if thats what they like best.

with only 2 analogs there is less actions possible (e.g. mgs games) - i dont think the touch pad can preform all these actions and people didnt like using the vita's in uncharted.

You do realize though, that by doing that, you worsen everyone else's experience.. Their main question is "What would make a person who doesn't have a PlayStation, want a PlayStation. And that's not a bad mentality to have to a degree, and I think this includes analog face buttons. It was an idea that was for 6th Generation (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) and then Xbox came up with a better idea in the 7th Generation with the 360 controller. Sticking to their guns made the DS3 a problem and a block to entry of the PS3 for many people.

Also, the world of gaming on consoles has gradually gotten simpler. No one wants to be switching button types all the time. I wouldn't mind, but most people do. Asking this of Sony really is kind of unfair. You're asking them to limit their current console by choices they made 15 years ago. That's really unfair to them.

my Reply:

i dont think analog buttons was a reason for anybody not liking the DS3 - the main reasons they didnt like it was the bad L2/R2 triggers and the sticks (placement and convex) as well as it being too small.

i just dont see how analog buttons is limiting the controller ?? - otherwise why would you use the triggers for shooting if analog is old tech and slow ??

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 41 (271 Views)
0 Likes