Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jun 27 2005
By: Smoooff Fender Bender 4451 posts
Offline

Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

22 replies 3 views Edited Jun 27, 2005
When developers start making games that really push the GPU hard, I wonder if they will use one of the Cell's SPEs to do FSAA instead of using the GPU?  I'm pretty sure that the SPEs are going to be very efficient at that type of operation.  Just something that popped into my head.
Message 1 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/18/2005
Offline
1170 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 27, 2005
I don't know... the SPE are very specificly good a streaming stuff... I don't know how they would handle this, but I would assume that it would do it pretty well.  I don't think that it's a good idea though... that kind of thing will take up allot of resources that other things need.... but who know besides the Cell chip devs?
Message 2 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
WWX
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/20/2003
Offline
1915 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 27, 2005
There is suppsed to be some form of FSAA used in the 7800 that is relatively free.
,
,As for an SPE doing the work, why not?
,Some PS2 games use a VU to do it.
,
,
,
Message 3 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/18/2005
Offline
1170 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 27, 2005
only one graphics card has "free" AA and that is the Xenos
Message 4 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 12/06/2004
Offline
1282 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 28, 2005


Cueil wrote:
only one graphics card has "free" AA and that is the Xenos


That's,a bit presumptuous since no one knows the final specs of RSX.  For,all we know, it may have the same 10MB EDRAM that Xenos has.  Or,more.  Or some other little gizmo that will allow it to do FSAA,with little or no performance hit.  We just don't know.
,
,As for the idea with the Cell.. not likely.  You'd have the system,running around in circles.  Data would be going from Cell to RSX,,then back to Cell for AA, then back to RSX for,display... not a very efficient use of the system.  Ideally, it,should go Cell-->RSX-->Display.  There are some rumblings,that Cell may be taking on some of the graphics work.. things,like vertex shaders and some of the geometry handling that would,normally be done by the GPU, which would free up the GPU for other,tasks, which may include FSAA.
,
,At this point, it's just too early to tell.
Message 5 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/18/2005
Offline
1170 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 28, 2005
IT WONT!  jees... the EDRAM in the Xenos isn't standard EDRAM... the ram itself does the zbuffering and 4xFSAA without any noticeable hit to the GPU or CPU... nothing can compair because there isn't anything like this graphics processor... the RSX will probably be very close to the new G70s that are out for the pc now.  You should google Xenos specs and check out some of the articals.  This is something that is patend I do beleive.
Message 6 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 09/15/2003
Offline
832 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 28, 2005


Smoooff Ed wrote:
When developers,start making games that really push the GPU hard, I wonder if they will,use one of the Cell's SPEs to do FSAA instead of using the GPU? ,I'm pretty sure that the SPEs are going to be very efficient at that,type of operation.  Just something that popped into my head.


The GPU will have AA.
,
,AA is nothing "new" these days, and they know they need it.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/18/2005
Offline
1170 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 28, 2005
I think he ment when the GPU reached it's limits if they would drop the AA to the Cell's SPEs
Message 8 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 02/25/2004
Offline
96 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 28, 2005

,
,
,Cueil wrote:
,
IT WONT!  jees... the EDRAM in the Xenos isn't standard EDRAM... the ram itself does the zbuffering and 4xFSAA without any noticeable hit to the GPU or CPU... nothing can compair because there isn't anything like this graphics processor... the RSX will probably be very close to the new G70s that are out for the pc now.  You should google Xenos specs and check out some of the articals.  This is something that is patend I do beleive.

,
,

Xenos isnt the first processor to utilize EDRAM in fact the PS2 and PSP utilize EDRAM its really not that spectacular.  But i do admit that its application is smart. And I'm pretty sure Sony would've used EDRAM this next-gen too if it hadnt been for their colaboration with Nvidia on the RSX and it's direct Bus link to Cell.
cat
Message 9 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 05/31/2005
Offline
8402 posts
 

Re: Dumb thought on anti-aliasing

Jun 28, 2005
I thought the SPE was useless.,
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 10 of 23 (3 Views)
Reply
0 Likes