Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 21 2013
By: docshady I Only Post Everything 987 posts

FPS's on a console

15 replies 228 views Edited Apr 21, 2013

I've been a PC gamer for a long time but made the jump and got a PS3 last fall, been enjoying the heck out of it.

One of its biggest drawbacks (for me anyway) is First person shooters.  After playing Various shooters on the PC over the years, I've taken the keyboard and mouse for granted.  I tried black OPs on the PS3 and got slaughtered (single player).  Several other FPS's have posed a great difficulty for me as well.  I didn't get far in BO before I gave up and sold it.

Has anyone else faced this same challenge and over come it?  How so?

doc shady signature
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (228 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7940 posts

Re: FPS's on a console

Apr 21, 2013

docshady wrote:

I've been a PC gamer for a long time but made the jump and got a PS3 last fall, been enjoying the heck out of it.

One of its biggest drawbacks (for me anyway) is First person shooters.  After playing Various shooters on the PC over the years, I've taken the keyboard and mouse for granted.  I tried black OPs on the PS3 and got slaughtered (single player).  Several other FPS's have posed a great difficulty for me as well.  I didn't get far in BO before I gave up and sold it.

Has anyone else faced this same challenge and over come it?  How so?

I used to play Tribes with kb/m on the PC and really loved it.  There were a few other PC games I played using kb/m, but mostly used a Microsoft Precision Pro game stick (Mechwarrior 2-3-4 mostly).  Since the PC I played those games on died, I went back to console gaming, but never really enjoyed the console FPS experience, mainly due to the same reason.

As far as KB/M on the PS3... any USB wired/wireless or bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work with the PS3 as far as controlling the XMB and entering text and such.  As far as games go, Dust 514 (Free, open beta download) supports kb/m natively.  It is directly connected with the PC EVE Online universe, and I believe you can even communicate with PC players via text and voice chat through the ingame communication system.  There are a handful of other games that also support kb/m (one of the Unreal Tournament games, I believe).  If you like FPS games, Dust514 is definitely worth a go since it's free.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (220 Views)
Sackboy
430 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

Wow, I'm so surprised. But I thought CoD on console was easy-mode, what with aim-assist and all. How dare you say it's hard to play FPSs on console. Make sure you tell all of those PC elitist friends you have that it isn't as easy as they think. I'm not hating on you though, and I don't hate PC gaming either. I just get tired of some PC gamers that like to think they're the best because they use keyboard and mouse. And I would be willing to try keyboard and mouse on ps3 if given the option.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (218 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Apr 21, 2013
For me, playing with the sensitivity of the stick helped to improve my accuracy. Playing through the single player campaign also helps so that you know how the stick reacts when you push it around.

That said, I have the complete opposite issue. I play primarily on PS3 and when it comes to play games with KB/M on PC it all falls apart. So in my opinion it's just a matter of practice and getting used to the control scheme. :smileyhappy:
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (215 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4561 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
430 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

Yeah, Doppelganger is right. It's just a matter of practice. Just play with some bots on recruit difficulty for a few games and it should help increase your accuracy. And if you want to really prepare yourself put them on veteran difficulty and your reaction time will improve too. The veteran bots are better than the majority of players you'll find online. When you become more comfortable increase your sensitivity.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (210 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Apr 21, 2013
For me it's the opposite, I am great with a controller on FPS's but on PC I am a mess, it takes me longer to move my hand instead of just my right thumb xD
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1860 posts

Apr 21, 2013
for some games you can use a mouse and keyboard. (i think dust 514 is one of them). also, games like killzone and resistance (1st parties) tend to be harder than CoD and Battlefield (3rd parties). also, keep in mind, switching from a mouse and keyboard to a controller is a big jump. when i went form wii to ps3, i sucked, but now im amazing. just takes time to get used to it.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3929 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Using a controller is much more harder than using a mouse.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (168 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Apr 21, 2013

It is something you have to train yourself to get used to.

I am not much of a PC gamer so anytime I play a game on PC it takes me a while before being used to using KBM

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (153 Views)
0 Likes