Apr 27 2013
By: YamiJustin Wastelander 663 posts

Final Fantasy XI running on a PS3

11 replies 275 views Edited Apr 27, 2013

I know this is a pretty specific question, but hopefully someone will know the answer!

I have a 60gb PS3, so it can play PS2 games, including Final Fantasy XI, which I have installed on here no problem. My question is do I have to be on the latest firmware in order to connect to FFXI online?? My gut feeling says no, because when you go to log into the beginning PlayOnline client, and then FFXI, it must only require online connection, and no affiliation to PSN right? Also, if you were on the latest firmware, do you simply need internet enabled, or do you need to sign into your account? Thanks!!

Message 1 of 12 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

Re: Final Fantasy XI running on a PS3

Apr 27, 2013

i recently tried to install and play FF11 and found that i needed to have a PlayOnline account, unfortunatly when i tried to open one i was redirected to the Square-Enix  account membership page which said it would merge with my existing  PlayOnline account.

but every time i try and open a Playonline account i get the re-direct in an endless cycle and thats as far as i got. it seems most FF11 players play on PC these days...  :-(

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 2 of 12 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Apr 27, 2013

Ah, I seem to have had the same issue when trying to figure out HOW exactly you begin anew your account. I figurered it out though, if you want to know how its done. Your account can be played on any system, all the world of FF11 is cross-platform. I asked because if I went to my friends to play with him I'd prefer to bring my PS3 and not my PC haha. And I pretty much assumed you don't require PSN to get on XI, just PlayOnline account with a Content ID and Square Enix account. 

Message 3 of 12 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 27, 2013

YamiJustin wrote:

I know this is a pretty specific question, but hopefully someone will know the answer!

I have a 60gb PS3, so it can play PS2 games, including Final Fantasy XI, which I have installed on here no problem. My question is do I have to be on the latest firmware in order to connect to FFXI online?? My gut feeling says no, because when you go to log into the beginning PlayOnline client, and then FFXI, it must only require online connection, and no affiliation to PSN right? Also, if you were on the latest firmware, do you simply need internet enabled, or do you need to sign into your account? Thanks!!

Until recently, the answer was no.  Final Fantasy XI support was added in Firmware 1.31, so any later firmware version would work.  You did need to connect to PSN to get a special file to emulate the PS2's HDD on the PS3.  This file was called "PS2 System Data".  But - once you installed it, you didn't need to connect to PSN again.  SquareEnix's PlayOnline and Sony's PSN login systems were separate.

HOWEVER

As of June 14, 2012 or so, Square Enix upped the HDD requirements for the PS2 version of FFXI, which didn't match the original allocation in the PS3's firmware:  http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news21512.shtml

We would like to alert users of the PlayStation 2 version that the minimum hard disc space required will be increased from the current 10GB (or 8GB depending other factors) to 19GB in the Jun. 14, 2012 version update.

Customers who already have the appropriate space on their PlayStation 2 HDD will be able to update their game without issue. However, customers without the appropriate space will receive an error stating that there is not enough free space and the version update will not proceed. In this case, please secure the necessary space and try again.

Although the error message will tell you how much space you need, we would advise you to secure the appropriate space beforehand to make the version update process as smooth as possible.

For questions regarding the “PlayStation HDD” please visit the Sony Computer Entertainment knowledge base at www.us.playstation.com/support/.

Thank you for your continued support of
FINAL FANTASY XI.

Firmware 1.31 and later versions had only allocated 10 gigs to FFXI.  So - Sony addressed this via a Firmware upgrade for the PS3 in about Feb. 2012.  (Possibly 4.11? 

Unfortunately, if you're like me, and you've held off on updating your PS3 firmware beyond 3.15 to continue using Linux, etc., you can no longer play FFXI, since it will always report an out of disc space error. Smiley Sad

There are a few posts about this online.  A sample one is here: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/31261/8gb-free-space-i-have-it-confused-help/

UPDATE:  I knew there was a better article about this.  Here's the main reference:

http://gamerescape.com/2012/01/24/playstation-3-hdds-getting-more-room-for-final-fantasy-xi-2/

Cheers,

Paul

Message 4 of 12 (248 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Apr 27, 2013

weasel_bot wrote:
Unfortunately, if you're like me, and you've held off on updating your PS3 firmware beyond 3.15 to continue using Linux, etc., you can no longer play FFXI, since it will always report an out of disc space error. Smiley Sad

As was discussed (quite at length) at the time that the OtherOS option was removed from the PS3, it was your choice whether you wanted to continue to use Linux OR to continue to receive support for your PS3 from Sony.  This would be one of those unfortunate cases where you start to regret your decision to stick with Linux.  Now your choice is a little more specific.  Do you want to continue to play FFXI or do you want to continue using Linux?

Message 5 of 12 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Apr 27, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

As was discussed (quite at length) at the time that the OtherOS option was removed from the PS3, it was your choice whether you wanted to continue to use Linux OR to continue to receive support for your PS3 from Sony.  This would be one of those unfortunate cases where you start to regret your decision to stick with Linux.  Now your choice is a little more specific.  Do you want to continue to play FFXI or do you want to continue using Linux?

*nods*  Yup - it definitely felt like a dilemma at the time.

No regrets on the Linux front for me, though:  I'm one of the contributors to Yellow Dog PPC Linux, so I still use the PS3 for generating Firefox updates, etc.  

Oddly enough, because of this latest FFXI upgrade, I've dusted off my original PS2 and I've been running FFXI on there.  I do miss the PS3's HDMI and wireless controllers, though. Smiley Sad

Cheers,

Paul

Message 6 of 12 (229 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Apr 27, 2013

weasel_bot wrote:

No regrets on the Linux front for me, though:  I'm one of the contributors to Yellow Dog PPC Linux, so I still use the PS3 for generating Firefox updates, etc.  

I can definitely appreciate that...  seems the PPC platform is quite the dying breed as of late.  I am not even aware of any mainstream companies still manufacturing PPC based hardware (aside from the PS3, that is).  I know that the next XBox is supposedly switching over to PPC, so maybe Micro$oft will allow for Linux to be used as an alternate OS on it.  Highly doubtful, though.

Basically your market (other than other PS3 'OtherOS' users) seems to be people who refuse to give up their 10-year old PowerMac G4/G5s...

Message 7 of 12 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 27, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

weasel_bot wrote:

I can definitely appreciate that...  seems the PPC platform is quite the dying breed as of late.  I am not even aware of any mainstream companies still manufacturing PPC based hardware (aside from the PS3, that is).  I know that the next XBox is supposedly switching over to PPC, so maybe Micro$oft will allow for Linux to be used as an alternate OS on it.  Highly doubtful, though.

Basically your market (other than other PS3 'OtherOS' users) seems to be people who refuse to give up their 10-year old PowerMac G4/G5s...

G5's?

They're running the latest Intel processors. My girlfriend has one for video editing and 3D media creation. Dear god was that thing expensive.... but her company paid for it.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 12 (201 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Apr 27, 2013

I'm a little confused lol. When I first inserted the Vana'diel Collection 2008 disc, it asked me to allocate 21gb to the system. It did that without a hitch. Then it takes me to the PlayOnline viewer, where it first runs a certification process for the first online check, which I get a specific error (which doesnt have any searches for online). So as far as installing the partition, I have no problems there. I keep getting DNAS errors. Lol.

Message 9 of 12 (185 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Apr 28, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

G5's?

They're running the latest Intel processors. My girlfriend has one for video editing and 3D media creation. Dear god was that thing expensive.... but her company paid for it.

The poster I was replying to contributes to the Firefox PowerPC platform.  The only 'current' PowerPC-powered Linux capable computer is the PS3 (with firmware version 3.15 or earlier).  Yes, the PS3 uses a Cell, but the Cell is based heavily on the PowerPC architecture, and is 'backward' compatible with PowerPC instruction sets (which is why PPC-based editions of Linux run on it).  The final model of PPC-based Mac uses the G5 processor and was released about 10 years ago.  Apple switched to Intel processors for the following generation.

Message 10 of 12 (178 Views)
0 Likes