First Son
1 posts

Re: First Edition Bundle -> Limited Edition Case Smell?

Feb 17, 2012

Toxic chemical smell is right.  My case has so much of a "chemical" smell it was giving me a headache while I had it sitting on my desk.  I had to move it to another room.  My son saved his money to get a Vita on the 22nd release day and now he's happy he waited.  He told me "at least my case won't stink."

I checked inside the case, and as suspected, made in China.  I've heard about some other "Made in China" plastic case products having horrible chemical smells, it looks like Sony contracted with a similar vendor.

I like the case, just can't stand the smell.  Hopefully it goes away.

Not too good, Sony.

Message 21 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
922 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Mine has a chemical smell but only if I stick my nose right inside of it. Other than that you can't notice the smell.

Message 22 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1268 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Didn't they throw in one of those silica gel packs?

Message 23 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Deucedriver wrote:

Toxic chemical smell is right.  My case has so much of a "chemical" smell it was giving me a headache while I had it sitting on my desk.  I had to move it to another room.  My son saved his money to get a Vita on the 22nd release day and now he's happy he waited.  He told me "at least my case won't stink."

I checked inside the case, and as suspected, made in China.  I've heard about some other "Made in China" plastic case products having horrible chemical smells, it looks like Sony contracted with a similar vendor.

I like the case, just can't stand the smell.  Hopefully it goes away.

Not too good, Sony.

Lmfao! I keep killing myself laughing seeing my friends sniff my case and then they wonder what on earth I've done to it >.< it honestly smells like a mixture of cigar smoke and dead rodent, with a side of BO lol. I'm airing the sucker out, maybe one of us will get lucky and find the rest of the rat inside their case lol. It's funny, I ordered a tablet case a few months back and zomg it stunk like death too and it was shipped in from China. I have a feeling their materials and work conditions are rather questionable, and well something smells fishy with this situation >.>

Aside from the "firey crypt" smell it's actually a really nice case, I am really happy with it, but my nose begs to differ lol

Message 24 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I wish I knew what a bad smell actually smelt like. I don't have a sense of smell, at all Don't question it, it's true. And my taste buds are dulled too, so I eat really weird combinations of food.

Our dog apparently makes the worst farts ever, and I'm always just sat there like WUT when everyone's got their hands covering their noses xD

I would have to agree with Sniffynose, that there's probably something fishy going on in the factory of where the cases were made, or who were they made by? Children with low wages? I hope not!

Message 25 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Feb 17, 2012

rofl it's for the best that you can't smell it, trust me it's not something you want to remember lol I just find it funny in a way because my wife wanted that case so bad, and went on and on about how she was going to steal it from me to use on her vita next week, and then she asked me if our daughter had been changed, and I was like uh, yeah, so she said well something smells really bad, are you sure?? And I was like um, it's the case! She instantly got mad, thinking I was making it up to avoid it being taken (against my will) so she smelled it, and well now she doesn't want it, so I win ( i think ) lol, sad...

Message 26 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Feb 17, 2012

I agree. No, I did not slap my nose right into the thing, the smell actually came to my nose and it just smells horrible. I used it today and some of the order is still lingering. Now I only smell it once I literaly place it on my face.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 27 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Sniffynose wrote:

rofl it's for the best that you can't smell it, trust me it's not something you want to remember lol I just find it funny in a way because my wife wanted that case so bad, and went on and on about how she was going to steal it from me to use on her vita next week, and then she asked me if our daughter had been changed, and I was like uh, yeah, so she said well something smells really bad, are you sure?? And I was like um, it's the case! She instantly got mad, thinking I was making it up to avoid it being taken (against my will) so she smelled it, and well now she doesn't want it, so I win ( i think ) lol, sad...

Haha! There are some nicer looking ones anyway. Would she like the 4gamers travel case or anything?

Message 28 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
462 posts

Feb 17, 2012

Nope! No gel packs

Message 29 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1268 posts

Feb 17, 2012

MikanYui11 wrote:

Nope! No gel packs

MikanYui11 Trophy Card

Thanks for answering, MikanYui!  The silica gel packets probably would have helped avoid this problem. Maybe one could be kept inside the case while it's not in use (provided that someone actually keeps silica gel packets after buying pairs of shoes, lol).

Message 30 of 47 (12 Views)
0 Likes