First Son
1 posts

Re: Fixed YLoD, broke ribbon cable clip to blu-ray drive.

Aug 19, 2010
Thanx for this post Mr Gilksy, had this problem for months nob being able to play games or demo's but the cardboard trick ahs worked an absolute treat.
Thanx again mate,
Willy
Message 31 of 42 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 22, 2010

So did you ever get a fix for this problem??

My ps3 has very similar problems after performing the ylod fix - it wouldnt accept any disk into the drive, and after a few attempts to fix it the ps3 finally won't turn on. It goes from a green light, to a red light, then to the infamous flashing red light... hoping you found a fix that i could try.

thanks,

daniel

Message 32 of 42 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 4, 2010

I had the same problem everyone else is reporting.  I had reflowed to fix the YLOD and had broken the clip from the blu-ray ribbon cable connector on the motherboard.  Tried several things to no avail, then heard of the piece of cardboard solution. But I figured a piece of plastic with correct thickness might work better.  Thought and bit then had the idea of plastic from a soft margarine tub.  Found a empty one in the kitchen and cut out a small rectangle to fit in the connector slot, from the tub (not the lid).  Inserted the ribbon cable and then wedged the plastic rectangle on top of it in the slot producing a nice, snug fit.  Turned on the power and viola! the blu-ray worked.  Put the PS3 top back on, connected to TV and now have working PS3 again.  Did not even need to use hot glue or tape or anything else. 

Hope this helps.  

Message 33 of 42 (1,432 Views)
Splicer
79 posts

Dec 14, 2010
GCB01 does not lie. My friend had the exact same problem and his solution worked like a charm. THANK YOU!
Message 34 of 42 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 24, 2011

Ok I just fixed mine. It is not a easy task to do and you will probably have to repeat the process a couple of time. All you need is the ribbon cable that connect the blu-ray to the motherboard, some black electric tape and a hockey card(Don't take a Wayne Gretzky one, it's way too valuable. Alexei Yashin will do find). All you need to do is to cut the hockey card the same lengh as your ribbon than get your ribbon in place and try to slide the card inside to ack as a wedge(That we have heard before). The trick is to push hard. The card piece will probably fold in half  but continue pushing. When you thick the cable is secure try pulling on it very gently. If nothing moves, your in business. Secure the cable and the card piece with electric tape and VOILA. You might have to repeat the process a couple of time since it's not a garanty the ribbon won't move while you try to but the blu-ray to it's spot but you'll get it eventully. Took me three day to get it right. I've try using matches, credit card, pack of cigarette. None of them had the prefect thickness. The hockey card is just perfect.

Hope this help a lot of people.

Message 35 of 42 (1,432 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 29, 2011

I am having bluray ribbon problems that seem to be different to everyone else here - I have also broken the clip, and the suggestions on how to get round this are likely to be useful. But, why I broke the clip and what I am stuck at is that I cannot get the ribbon to reinsert into the female end on the motherboard at all. It just will not go in. What am doing wrong?!

Message 36 of 42 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jan 22, 2012

Thanks fellas I'm sure glad I found this post I'm having the same problems but I will try these methods!!!

"We make war so that we may live in peace."
~ Aristotle
Message 37 of 42 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 26, 2012

THIS IS A POSSIBLE FIX:

If you still have the top piece just wedge it into place as it would normally be. The hinge doesn't matter.  Put the thin edge into the housing on top of the cable and secure it with a piece of trimmed tape to hold it in place and you're good.  If you don't have the top piece then try wedging the cable in with plastic as others have mentioned.

Message 38 of 42 (1,283 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 7, 2013
Do you still need the black clip
Message 39 of 42 (1,249 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
6 posts

Jan 14, 2013

If you did a reflow and find it didn't last (which it won't)  a simple free easy fan modification on your ps3 will greatly help extend the amount of time your reflow will last....( a reflow is not a permenent fix and the fan mode will extend it) ...   I made a video on youtube called  ps3 3.3 volt fan modification... it's a free easy simple fix and should be done in one form or another because you unit will overheat again and then your right back to the ylod... there are many other videos showing various methods on how to do this...   I too broke the darn clip on the motherboard for the blu ray and was looking for a fix when I found this forum and thought I'd help some of you who are having the ylod return after a reflow... now I just have to try to fix the clip and hope the blu ray still works.

Message 40 of 42 (1,220 Views)
0 Likes