Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 23 2013
By: Heyxyz1 First Son 21 posts

Formating a external HDD to Fat32?

5 replies 90 views Edited Mar 23, 2013

Currently I am trying change out my PS3's HDD, and I'm using the USB case method. The problem is it needs to be coverted to FAT32, and windows 7 only allows upto 32GB per fat32 file. I need much more than that to back up my ps3. My question is can someone tell me how to make my entire External HD Fat32, and in a way that won't take TOO long. I also need it to still have the ability to be read by my computer. Thanks a bunch!!!

P.S. sorry for the bad grammar it is late, and I'm tierd

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2789 posts

Re: Formating a external HDD to Fat32?

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

I remember you from a few weeks back. Guess you got your case off of ebay.

Anyway, what kind of HDD do you have? Is it a Seagate? You could try this method:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/200895en

You could always try to google search "fat32 format bigger than 32gb"

Good luck.

EDIT:

Here's two more links for you:

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

I had this happen for myself... 

From what I understood there were Problems with this, I was told there were several Very important things you had to go through... 
Or your Hard Drive could end up Damaged... 

But one day I confirmed it with a Sony Employee... 

My Internal 750 GB HDD was automatically Formated for PS3 use all by it's self, streight from the System... 

-------------------------

As for External HDD, I used a Program called "Army Knife" or something, I forgot the actual Name...
But I used it on a 1TB External Western Didgetal HDD... 

Everything worked right away... !^_^! 

I heard Segate works, but from what I understood, I have tried this with a Segate myself, & was Unsucessful at it... ~_~ 
The Segate 1TB External HDD apears on the PS3 as an Invisible HDD, like it doesn't show up under Settings at all... 

The PS3 Internal HDD is supposedly a Western Didgetal, & they make External ones just like the Internal one... 
Which is why I went Western Didgetal for both Internal, & External... 

Works like a Charm, !^_^! 

---------------------------

Which Brand of Hard Drive did you buy, & want to use for an External HDD? 

P.S.: You said... I need much more than that to back up my ps3? 

My only Question is, most Games now days are Protected from Copying, another wards, even if you had an External HDD to Back Up your Data with, you still can't Back Up any of those Games... I have tried this in the Past, &
barely anything of mine was Sucessfully Backed Up... 

1.) Copy Prohibited Games won't Back Up... 
2.) No PS2 Games will Back Up... 
3.) No PS1 Games will Back Up... 
4.) No Game Data will Back Up... 
5.) No B-D Live Content will Back Up... 
6.) No Downloaded Games will Back Up... 
7.) Paid Movies Off PSN will not Back Up, as they are only allowed one PS3 at a Time... 

---------------------------

I mean seriously, the Back Up thing is totally useless... 

You can always Back Up your Music, Standard Videos, & stuff like that, but you don't really need the Back Up thingy 
to do that, because you can always just Copy them to the HDD 

Other then that, I mean what else could you possibly want Backed Up, that will honestly Back Up Sucessfully? 

Only Specific Game Saves will Back Up, but again, only Specific ones... ~_~ 

All of PS HOME Content is Back Up able as well, however that no longer would do you any good, considering 
they Moved all of that Content to their Servers, so you Backing Up HOME Content would be a waste of your Time...

------------------------------------

I was very Disapointed in how wasted I paid for an External HDD just to find out that it was Useless in the End, :smileysad: 

Sony lied about the whole Back Up thing on the PS3, they added it on, & then Blocked it from being used... 

It's totally Decieving, :smileysad: 

Just thought i'd give you Heads Up, before you even try attempting this, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2789 posts

Mar 23, 2013
The 60GB model I purchased day one came with a Seagate HDD. I bought a 500GB Seagate to replace it and haven't had any problems with it.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (70 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7920 posts

Mar 23, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

I mean seriously, the Back Up thing is totally useless... 

You can always Back Up your Music, Standard Videos, & stuff like that, but you don't really need the Back Up thingy 
to do that, because you can always just Copy them to the HDD 

Other then that, I mean what else could you possibly want Backed Up, that will honestly Back Up Sucessfully? 

Only Specific Game Saves will Back Up, but again, only Specific ones... ~_~ 

All of PS HOME Content is Back Up able as well, however that no longer would do you any good, considering 
they Moved all of that Content to their Servers, so you Backing Up HOME Content would be a waste of your Time...

------------------------------------

I was very Disapointed in how wasted I paid for an External HDD just to find out that it was Useless in the End, :smileysad: 

Sony lied about the whole Back Up thing on the PS3, they added it on, & then Blocked it from being used... 

It's totally Decieving, :smileysad: 

Just thought i'd give you Heads Up, before you even try attempting this, ~_~

The backup utility works perfectly if you restore it to the same PS3 (as in moving to a larger HDD in the same PS3).

If you are trying to move to a different PS3, this is what the Data Transfer utility is for.  Very little content will be restored to a different PS3 from a backup file.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Ya, as I said, I have heard that it does work with a Segate, however it did not work for me... 

So I dunno, maybe you have to have a Specific HDD... Mine was External, & runs differently from other HDD's... 

It has it's own Power Supply, & also has it's own Back Up Utility Program, too... 

Your Segate however is an Internal, so I don't believe it runs the same way... 

My Western Didgetal runs just like the Internal, but with a Power Cord for it's External Use... 

I dunno... Just a thought, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (64 Views)
0 Likes