Mar 03 2014
By: MIA_Philly Limit Breaker 25315 posts

Future of gaming

[ Edited ]
7 replies 255 views Edited Mar 14, 2014

There have been some really neat in the news concerning games that has me excited and seems like a move into the next generation of gaming. Im not specifically talking about these new next gen platforms but things like the oculus rift (VR headset). Some of the things done with this tech have been amazing and made even better with motion dots on the outside to more accurately pinpoint movement and visual stimulation. Something else has really caught my eye though even beyond the rift.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4

if you have seen this movie (which is amazing BTW) you see him play video games. The game is set up sort of like a projector casting a world in front of and around him as the player. He is able to control the game with his hands and no other equipment. He can interact with the world around him and "touch/grab/pull closer" the images in the world with simple hand gestures. He can talk to the world and the world can answer him in non canned responses. THIS leap into the gaming world was crazy to me. Id love this kind of immersion in gaming. Has anyone seen this movie and him playing the video game? What did you think of the scene and of that direction of gaming?

Edit label please see Click here for more information on labels. Thanks! GuardianBelle

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 1 of 8 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25315 posts

Re: Future of gaming

Mar 14, 2014

No one saw the movie "Her" and saw the video game sequences?

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 2 of 8 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Mar 14, 2014

Holodecks have existed in fiction for ages.  Technology isn't there yet.  Maybe sooner than later, who knows.

Message 3 of 8 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25315 posts

Mar 14, 2014

plathunterplus wrote:

Holodecks have existed in fiction for ages.  Technology isn't there yet.  Maybe sooner than later, who knows.

sure but i haven't ever seen them used the way he did. and the "unscripted" dialog that went back and forth seemed very very natrual.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 4 of 8 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3382 posts

Mar 14, 2014

You'd have to really understand how complex creating "uncanned" responses would be. No computer can match the computing capacity of the human brain. (until they figure out that they need to make computers from organic pathways and processors). And it would be even harder to make it sound like a sexy Scarlett Johansson.

Language parsing is the thing that computers have the most trouble with. 

One of my classes argued that humans don't learn language, as much as they come prebuilt to speak it. 

I think gaming will go back to board games and dice games in the future.

I'll be rolling the dice to see if that running back break that tackle for the 50 yard run across the cardboard field. 

guitar guru 2012
Message 5 of 8 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
25315 posts

Mar 14, 2014

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:

You'd have to really understand how complex creating "uncanned" responses would be. No computer can match the computing capacity of the human brain. (until they figure out that they need to make computers from organic pathways and processors). And it would be even harder to make it sound like a sexy Scarlett Johansson.

One of my classes argued that humans don't learn language, as much as they come prebuilt to speak it. 

I'll be rolling the dice to see if that running back break that tackle for the 50 yard run across the cardboard field. 

The gaming section had very little to do with her. It was a small "alien" creature and his responses to the gamer seemed natural. Im not referring to scarlets portion of the movie. 

Get your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 8 (150 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28676 posts

Mar 14, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

No one saw the movie "Her" and saw the video game sequences?

You mean that ninety minute episode of The Big Bang Theory that somehow Spike Jonze got a free pass on?

Message 7 of 8 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3382 posts

Mar 14, 2014

MIA_Philly wrote:

GuitarGuru2012 wrote:

The gaming section had very little to do with her. It was a small "alien" creature and his responses to the gamer seemed natural. Im not referring to scarlets portion of the movie. 

I'll edit my post for you:

guitar guru 2012
Message 8 of 8 (140 Views)
0 Likes