Feb 27 2014
By: ThrowupdaX88 Uncharted Territory 1447 posts

Game Recommendations Please

[ Edited ]
19 replies 149 views Edited Feb 27, 2014

Help me find some games for PS3 that I will like.  So I guess I'm fairly picky when it comes to games.  I've tried a few recently that I thought I might like and I didn't end up enjoying them (MGS 4 Patriots, Just Cause 2).  I'm just into single player campaigns, not into MP at all so please don't recommend MP games.  I'm an XBOX convert so I've had a 360 for the last 7 years or so and switched to PS back in November and now own a PS4, 2 PS3s, and a Vita.

Here's a list of games that I've really enjoyed:

Uncharted Series

Infamous Series (2 more so than 1)

The Last of Us

Splinter Cell Series

Rage

Far Cry 3 (didn't like Far Cry 2)

Batman Series

Hitman Absolution

God of War Series

Tomb Raider DE

Dead Island Riptide

So I'm looking for more games (old or new) along the lines of the list above.  What say ye wise folks of the PS forums?  Thanks in advance.

Edit: Updated subject title. -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 20 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2471 posts

Re: Game recommendations please

Feb 27, 2014
Did you get Gravity Rush for the Vita when it was free on PS+?
Message 2 of 20 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2504 posts

Feb 27, 2014
PlayStation Plus is your friend. Right now you'll get:
Remember Me
Payday 2
Metro
Brothers
BioShock Infinite
Dyad
Boarderlands 2
Uncharted 3
LittleBigPlanet Karting
And more!

Also in march you'll get Tomb Raider.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Message 3 of 20 (142 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11406 posts

Feb 27, 2014

Here's some suggestions for single-player-focused games on the PlayStation 3 (some of which include multiplayer components):

Eternal Sonata

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

Flower

Papo and Yo

Costume Quest

Bionic Commando: Rearmed

Everyday Shooter

PixelJunk Shooter

PixelJunk Shooter 2

PixelJunk Monsters

PixelJunk Sidescroller

Tales of Graces f

Tales of Xillia

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Portal 2

Red Dead Redemption

Asura's Wrath

Binary Domain

Heavy Rain

Beyond: Two Souls

Ratchet and Clank series

Valkyria Chronicles

Okabu

From Dust

Grand Theft Auto IV

Resident Evil 5

Bit. Trip Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Mushroom Wars

Magic Ball

Peggle

Plants vs. Zombies

Swords and Soldiers

Jurassic Park: The Game

Back to the Future: The Game

Gravity Crash

Tales from Monkey Island

Sound Shapes

Journey

Zombie Tycoon II: Brainhov's Revenge

Jak and Daxter Collection

The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Then there's of course other PlayStation 2-based collections out there, whether it's Metal Gear Solid (which you don't seem to care for), and the Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders series (which are all terrific games in their own way).

Message 4 of 20 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1447 posts

Feb 27, 2014

ixnine wrote:
PlayStation Plus is your friend. Right now you'll get:
Remember Me
Payday 2
Metro
Brothers
BioShock Infinite
Dyad
Boarderlands 2
Uncharted 3
LittleBigPlanet Karting
And more!

Also in march you'll get Tomb Raider.

Tried  Metro, Bioshock Infinite and Remember Me..didn't really care for any of those.  Payday 2 definitely isn't the style of game that I like either.

Tomb Raider DE on the PS4 was probably the 2nd best game I've played (behind The Last of Us).

Message 5 of 20 (134 Views)
Gaming Beast
2020 posts

Feb 27, 2014

I recommend Thief, Resident Evil games, All God of War games, Metal Gear Solid games. 

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 6 of 20 (128 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1447 posts

Feb 27, 2014

darkforcegod wrote:

I recommend Thief, Resident Evil games, All God of War games, Metal Gear Solid games. 

I'm interested in Thief but not ready to buy that just yet.  Yeah, I enjoy the GoW games.  I don't care for the MGS series.  I forgot to list the RE Series.  I really enjoyed 4 and 5.  I'm playing 6 right now and I like it but I find it very difficult. 

Message 7 of 20 (122 Views)
Lombax Warrior
198 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2014

Here are some games that are a bit older that you should be able to grab for cheap.

Heavy Rain is cool for a single playthrough. It is "cinematic", though. It can be intense and thrilling at times, but the idea is mostly to make decisions and otherwise make your way through certain scenes without failing the quick time events. If you end up liking Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead (from Telltale Games) is similar, albeit not as exciting.

Darksiders 2 is an "under the radar" type game that you probably missed, in the vein of God of War series, with some RPG elements that allow you to select abilities and that kind of thing.

Sleeping Dogs is another game that a lot of people missed. It's basically a mash-up of combat from the Arkham games set in a GTA like world, with a Hong Kong cinema backdrop. Awesome game even if you don't really like GTA style games a ton, just stay on the story path and it's like Batman but with a little bit of driving added in. One word of warning -- This game is "Just Cause 3" in a sense, but don't let that ruin your experience, because it is a very different experience. 

I'm assuming you had a chance to play them on Xbox, or at least are aware of them, but Mass Effect 2 and 3 are probably worth playing if you haven't already, and Borderlands 2 would probably keep you busy awhile too.

Message 8 of 20 (115 Views)
Welcoming Committee
12781 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2014

As someone stated, play the gmaes from Plus. There are A LOT of good gmaes to play there.

One game in partuicular that I would suggest is to get Ni No Kuni. Right now, for Plus member, you can get it for $7. I got it when it was $60 and it was more than worth it. It has an anime art style with an incredible soundtrack. The battle system is like pokemon as you catch and train monsters. Plus, the story mode is at least 40 hours long and it will take about 90 hours for the platinum. So this open-world RPG for $7 is a steal of a price. Also, it was a GOTY nomminee for 2013. So I recommend this 100%.

Message 9 of 20 (105 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1447 posts

Feb 27, 2014

tekkn1kal wrote:

Here are some games that are a bit older that you should be able to grab for cheap.

Heavy Rain is cool for a single playthrough. It is "cinematic", though. It can be intense and thrilling at times, but the idea is mostly to make decisions and otherwise make your way through certain scenes without failing the quick time events. If you end up liking Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead (from Telltale Games) is similar, albeit not as exciting.

Darksiders 2 is an "under the radar" type game that you probably missed, in the vein of God of War series, with some RPG elements that allow you to select abilities and that kind of thing.

Sleeping Dogs is another game that a lot of people missed. It's basically a mash-up of combat from the Arkham games set in a GTA like world, with a Hong Kong cinema backdrop. Awesome game even if you don't really like GTA style games a ton, just stay on the story path and it's like Batman but with a little bit of driving added in. One word of warning -- This game is "Just Cause 3" in a sense, but don't let that ruin your experience, because it is a very different experience. 

I'm assuming you had a chance to play them on Xbox, or at least are aware of them, but Mass Effect 2 and 3 are probably worth playing if you haven't already, and Borderlands 2 would probably keep you busy awhile too.

Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.  Thank you very much.  Too funny as I had just looked up the info on both Darksiders II and Sleeping Dogs and both did look very cool to me. 

Message 10 of 20 (88 Views)
0 Likes