Wastelander
480 posts

Re: Games at $70.00 in Canada! Not for me.

Mar 24, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@DeckardB

It actually isn't a bad thing to pay more though considering we were paying about that if not more for games in the 80's and 90's when development costs were only a fraction of what they are now. Gotta love that Y Generation though. They expect companies to take losses to cater to them. Now if you have to buy used or wait for bargain bin deals, perhaps it's your own financial situation that's the real problem here. Now I don't make a lot of money however I couldn't imagine living a life where $10 is going to make or break me. It's also not just Sony who raised the prices. It's everybody. But I guess if you really think the general consumer who is not on a Burger King budget will resort to buying games in a fashion like teenagers do, perhaps you should get a job in the industry and share some of your expertise.

I've been gaming since PONG so I know what game prices are, and what they have been traditionally. I'm lucky enough to be in a financial situation where I could spend the extra money, but it's justifying the cost in my mind that's the problem. These decisions are intensely personal decisions, but I suspect it's going to be that much harder for many here to mentally justify the cost of games, even though entertainment hours per dollar is still pretty good most of the time.

I'm a collector. I have a good collection of games. It's expensive as I don't like to buy used. I have already said what the price increase is going to do for me. I'm going to buy less games as a result. Sony will see less money from me. For others, it might be similar. If you think this is some kind of sense of entitlement on the part of Canadians, it is not.

I don't really want to see anyone consider the competition because of the price increase, but you know some people will make that decision. It's unfortunate. There are lots of reasons why this price increase could be a bad thing, but time will tell. The bottom line is, we don't want to pay more for games, and most people don't care about Sony's bottom line. It's not the consumers job to care about that.

Message 141 of 147 (215 Views)
Sackboy
448 posts

Mar 25, 2014

DeckardB wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@DeckardB

It actually isn't a bad thing to pay more though considering we were paying about that if not more for games in the 80's and 90's when development costs were only a fraction of what they are now. Gotta love that Y Generation though. They expect companies to take losses to cater to them. Now if you have to buy used or wait for bargain bin deals, perhaps it's your own financial situation that's the real problem here. Now I don't make a lot of money however I couldn't imagine living a life where $10 is going to make or break me. It's also not just Sony who raised the prices. It's everybody. But I guess if you really think the general consumer who is not on a Burger King budget will resort to buying games in a fashion like teenagers do, perhaps you should get a job in the industry and share some of your expertise.

I've been gaming since PONG so I know what game prices are, and what they have been traditionally. I'm lucky enough to be in a financial situation where I could spend the extra money, but it's justifying the cost in my mind that's the problem. These decisions are intensely personal decisions, but I suspect it's going to be that much harder for many here to mentally justify the cost of games, even though entertainment hours per dollar is still pretty good most of the time.

I'm a collector. I have a good collection of games. It's expensive as I don't like to buy used. I have already said what the price increase is going to do for me. I'm going to buy less games as a result. Sony will see less money from me. For others, it might be similar. If you think this is some kind of sense of entitlement on the part of Canadians, it is not.

I don't really want to see anyone consider the competition because of the price increase, but you know some people will make that decision. It's unfortunate. There are lots of reasons why this price increase could be a bad thing, but time will tell. The bottom line is, we don't want to pay more for games, and most people don't care about Sony's bottom line. It's not the consumers job to care about that.

That's exactly what I think!

Except that I start to play on the Nintendo (8 bits). =-p

Message 142 of 147 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 25, 2014
@Evan297

I don't really see it effecting much though. I mean people claimed to be outraged when PS3 and 360 titles increased by $10 compared to the previous generation yet even with an increase for everybody, I believe sales actually went up. And even if they don't, it won't take as many sales to reach the same margins. I just don't see most people going without video games over a lousy $10.

And maybe it could be a good thing for the industry. I mean most of the people not buying as much are going to be people with financial hardships. These are the exact same people who saturate the Gamestops of the world with used merchandise. I just know that if I spent $70 on a game, I'm keeping it. I'm not going to pawn it off like some 15 year old who is going to obstruct somebody else's new purchase.
Message 143 of 147 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 25, 2014
And I would also like to add that I don't like to see prices to go up for anybody. But after watching how much money both Sony and Microsoft hemoraged last gen, I'm really concerned that we might not have an industry one day besides PC's, expensive Steam Boxes and tablets. As I said. Microsoft has a really different and dishonest strategy and i don't like it. At least Sony is being up front with people. I mean their announcement was vague but they aren't hiding any fees. Now if this works and it doesn't effect the Canadian market, America could be next.
Message 144 of 147 (174 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
4897 posts

Mar 25, 2014

Please be respectful of everyone in the PlayStation Community, and let's not continue to insult one another over this topic. Please review the Rules of Conduct and any further violations may result in the removal/edit or your post or suspension from the community. 

Message 145 of 147 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 25, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
And I would also like to add that I don't like to see prices to go up for anybody. But after watching how much money both Sony and Microsoft hemoraged last gen, I'm really concerned that we might not have an industry one day besides PC's, expensive Steam Boxes and tablets. As I said. Microsoft has a really different and dishonest strategy and i don't like it. At least Sony is being up front with people. I mean their announcement was vague but they aren't hiding any fees. Now if this works and it doesn't effect the Canadian market, America could be next.

No matter which way you try to spin it, more expensive games leads to a lower adoption rate and less money for publishers. I work at EB and new game sales have tanked since the price increase. Funny thing tho is that our platinum membership cards which takes an additional $5 off used game purchases are selling very well and people are constatly coming in asking for used copies instead of new ones.

The only ones benefitting from this are Gamestop with everyone trying to close the gap on prices and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony asks resellers to drop the price back down and take a hit on the Canadian dollar.

Message 146 of 147 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Mar 25, 2014

xmat123x wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:

No matter which way you try to spin it, more expensive games leads to a lower adoption rate and less money for publishers. I work at EB and new game sales have tanked since the price increase. Funny thing tho is that our platinum membership cards which takes an additional $5 off used game purchases are selling very well and people are constatly coming in asking for used copies instead of new ones.

The only ones benefitting from this are Gamestop with everyone trying to close the gap on prices and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony asks resellers to drop the price back down and take a hit on the Canadian dollar.

Yup this is what I figured.

These companies say they want to fight used games, then push people into using used games by increasing the price of a new game, lol.

The better way would be under cut the used game market with incentives and what-not until they go out of business, then bring prices back to profittable area.

But I dont think Sony has the money to do this right now, maybe next gen if PS4 becomes what it should be some day.

I think the opposite of the online pass is needed.  Include with every new game a code that works for 30-60 days of release and then expires.  The code could be the season pass, or at least 50% off the season pass or soemthing like that.

Better yet the code gives you a free season pass if used within 30days of the games release.

In the next 30 days it gives you 50% off the season pass,

after 60days you can still use the code to get a 10-20% off the season pass.

This way there is always a benefit to buying new, but the benefit decreases if you wait for a price drop or something.

Obviously the code would be single use as all others are.

Then you are not punished for the used game but are rewarded for making a new game purchase.

This alone would do better then any of the measures I have seen used to combat used sales.

Especially for games like COD where the season passes cost more then the game does.

But in general I am not upset too badly by the $70 games here in Canada, know why?

Because I have been taught by Sony over the years that buying new games is for suckers if you have Plus.  You will pay $60 and a few months later be given the game for free or at around 75% off.  This not only makes plus useless and frustrating and a complete waste of money it also means you wasted the entire $60 you spent on the game.

If you buy new games do not get Plus, if you get plus do not buy new games, unless you just like wasting money. (Support devs who will be fired anyways before the game is even patched properly and then SSM will "take over" and 100% drop support for the game leaving it broken and the game devs who made it on the street or making mobile games.)

So if you are upset by the price increase of games in Canada I suggest you simply stop buying these games, show the industry your stance.

Just buy Playstation Plus for a yr and wait for the prices to drop, save your money.  The Plus games recently have been really good for those of us who didnt waste the money buying them new, lol.

By the way last new game i bought at $60 was Starhawk to support LBI, within a yr Sony fired them and left the game to SSM who promised to maintain the servers and they to date have done zero to implement the patches LBI already created or otherwise correct the issues the game has had.  So I no longer buy the whole `support your dev`` ideal, we have no control over these things and the money just goes to Sony anyways, not LBI.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 147 of 147 (143 Views)
0 Likes