PlayStation MVP
5446 posts

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 16, 2013

FiveFourteen wrote:

What pricing and perks would you like?

Basically, the digital pricing trends should follow the physical pricing model.  There is no reason to pay $99 for BF3 Premium digitally when I can get it for $30.  A digital manual that is optimized for view on the PS3 would be great.  Maybe bundle behind the scenes videos, I don't know - but to give me effectively less for the same amount of money, and stubbornly keep that price higher is just bad business, as far as I am concerned.  Sure, some sales exist, and I am grateful for them,  but the models are vastly different.

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 56 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
519 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2013

Identical digital copies of physical manuals are available (for games providing them).  For PS3 games, run the game, open XMB, and scroll one slot below the "Quit Game" option.  For PSOne games, simply hit the PS button while ingame, and select "Software Manual" from the list of options.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 56 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I prefer digital less clutter. I can change games without  chaning out diisc. I do think digital should be a little cheaper though.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 56 (176 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
14032 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Kenobith wrote:

I prefer digital less clutter. I can change games without  chaning out diisc. I do think digital should be a little cheaper though.

One dollar cheaper? There isn't much price to shave off because of the printed materials, disk, and case,

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 56 (174 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7589 posts

Jul 16, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:
One dollar cheaper? There isn't much price to shave off because of the printed materials, disk, and case,

Yep.  ^^ This.  The disc is probably the most expensive part of a 'physical' copy of the game, and the disc itself is about 50 cents.  The Case and manual probably combine for another 50 cents.  And digital is already cheaper, because you don't pay sales tax on a digital copy of a game.  In most states, anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 56 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Jul 16, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Kenobith wrote:

Saves them from shipping it and such and they get the full amount no ? Where say Gamestop takes a cut of every game sold ?

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 56 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3912 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

I'm a collector and when I buy a game I enjoy owning the case, the disc and the booklet.  I enjoy the artwork and the reading material.  I enjoy a lot of things.  But games anymore aren't including a booklet and since we're getting less with our games the price should be lowered.  Wishfull thinking, I know.

I don't do digital.  I think digital games are a joke.  With digital games you get no disc, no case, no artwork, no booklet and you pay FULL PRICE!!  For me it's a rippoff. 

The majority of gamers don't seem to have any standards and I think the system is only going to get worse. 

First, I'd just like to say I'm with you in the physical>digital preference. I'd much rather own the disc / case for my video game collection. Now, with that said...

1. Games cost the same amount to develop, no matter how the customer purchases it. Disc or digital, the devs / publishers want to make a profit -- that is why it's the same price. And should be, in my opinion. Digital is just an option, not a replacement for physical.

2. Although I do hate that games no longer come with a physical manual (most are just a digital add-on to the disc), I can understand why they stopped. A) It saves paper and B) It lowers the cost of the packaging. This means more profit for the devs / publishers.

support this. They deserve the money. That is why rarely buy games used.

I think the current price of games are just fine. They are cheaper than some cartridge titles were 20 years ago, and average out to about the same price as some CD based titles had cost in the 90's. (when you consider inflation.)

If you believe games are too expensive new, then wait 6 months to a year before you buy a new title. By then, the price can drop dramatically and range anywhere between $39.99 to $19.99.

I have a long list of games I still want to buy / play on my PS3 that I never got around to. I will eventually get to them, even after I buy a PS4 -- And they are all in that price range, for brand new copy.

Sometimes, just waiting can save you some money. :smileyhappy:

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 56 (132 Views)
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Jul 16, 2013

It would be great if digital games dropped in price on par with their physical counterpart. The ps4 allowing you to play your digital library on any ps4 system seems like a pretty cool perk to buy digital content.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 56 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5621 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I think the price for games $60 is the perfect price, as the above poster said, the cost to make the game is the same as both physical and digital. Digital is just an extra option, for people who perfer digital or for games that may become hard to find later. I perfer physical copies myself, and I also always buy new.

They have been pushing digital sales more now, especially with the PS4 being able to play the game as you are downloading it, so it elimates wait time. I think digital should be the same as physical, although sometimes when they lower the physical copies price (as in permanate price drop), the digital copy should reflect that change.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 56 (122 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11415 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Problem being is that most "physical media" price drops are not official price cuts, they're just sales from retailers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 56 (109 Views)