Fender Bender
3825 posts

Re: Getting an Xbox One.

Jul 3, 2013

Mikewarrior wrote:

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

i would think that consoles would probably get a little slimmer. xbox one took ten steps back with its size

Microsoft went cheap on the Xbone design, and tech by going with DDR3 RAM, and then using 32MB of sDRAM to bring up the bandwidth. They didn't start working on the Xbone project until 2010 (Sony/Cerny PS4 started in 2007), and it shows. I bet Don Mattrick cut a lot of corners so he can package his baby project (Kinect) with every system, and still make a profit at $500.

i lmao when i saw the design. i know it has been beaten to death. but flipping hell, a vcr.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 101 of 170 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15749 posts

Jul 3, 2013

FearedKiller7 wrote:
I hope Micro$oft enjoys watching me play my Ps4.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense *Sarcasim..duh!* Just buy one or the other or buy both. Whatever.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 102 of 170 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Jul 3, 2013
Sounds like a large waste of money.
Message 103 of 170 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Jul 3, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

i lmao when i saw the design. i know it has been beaten to death. but flipping hell, a vcr.

As a long time PAST Xbox fan, I couldn't believe it. It's fat PS3 huge without any style whatsoever. It's like if Don Mattrick said "Lets not waste time/money on a sleek design, we'll just make a black rectangle component looking box with vent holes for 50% of it"... "We don't want anymore RRoDs this time, or no one will ever trust us again" 

That's the only way I can imagine the Xbone looking the way it does. I see near zero effort put into it, and I was shocked. now I just look and shake my head while laughing about thinking "This is the best they can come up with?" 

Message 104 of 170 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Mikewarrior wrote:

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

As a long time PAST Xbox fan, I couldn't believe it. It's fat PS3 huge without any style whatsoever. It's like if Don Mattrick said "Lets not waste time/money on a sleek design, we'll just make a black rectangle component looking box with vent holes for 50% of it"... "We don't want anymore RRoDs this time, or no one will ever trust us again" 

That's the only way I can imagine the Xbone looking the way it does. I see near zero effort put into it, and I was shocked. now I just look and shake my head while laughing about thinking "This is the best they can come up with?" 

being a billion dollar company it makes it even worse that it came out like that. I also lol'd when all these years people were saying 720 then they call it xbox one XD

KZMProductionsGT
Message 105 of 170 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Jul 3, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

being a billion dollar company it makes it even worse that it came out like that. I also lol'd when all these years people were saying 720 then they call it xbox one XD

That's another issue... Xbox One really looks, and sounds inferior to the PS4 = Was Microsoft not thinking at all? 

Message 106 of 170 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Jul 3, 2013
It's also a tad larger than the phat ps3 which is huge. Probably just as big or bigger than my cable box! Smiley Surprised
Message 107 of 170 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
Microsoft has very clearly betrayed their customers and they have lost a lot of money because of it. Over the last month, Microsoft's stock value has dropped $3 (almost 10%). Most of this drop can be accounted for solely in the loss of support and trust that their fans had in them over the Xbox One. They were expecting to see E3 pick things back up for the console, but instead it only made things worse.

How have they betrayed our trust? They wanted a way to help support the developers with the second hand market was all. Unfortunately Microsoft didn't explain it very well and everyone who wanted to buy the games on the cheap went crying to the press saying "MWAAAAHH... WE GOTTA PAY A SMALL FEE TO BUY SECOND HAND GAME... IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD". Now because of that, Microsoft threw up their hands and said "OK, fair enough... we will just use the current system regarding second hand games."

Because of that you will now not be able to play your game without the disc in the console (the previous system would let you install the game like a PC, register the key and then run the game without the disc). Any second hand purchase would have funneled a fee back to the developer helping them develop more titles and keeping them afloat. Just look at how many companies have gone belly up in the last 10 years due to second hand sales. All the profits go to the shops selling the second hand titles. It's like a legitimate piracy scheme.

Now we are back to using the current scheme. Second hand shops are going to be grinning like Scrooge while developers are going to be peed off as more people buy second hand and essentially bypassing funds that would have gone to them.

So did Microsoft betray their fans or did they try to help support the development teams rather than the second hand shops. I'm still getting my XBone because I know that it will be excellent and the controller will be more natural in my hands. Makes me laugh when I think of the original Xbox controller was too big, the Playstation controllers have been too small and the Xbox 360 and XBone controllers are JUST RIGHT. I just wish Sony made larger controllers an option for us Europeans.

Actually the Sony console gives great images... the games I have played recently on my PS3 look amazing. The Xbox 360 on the other hand has the better controller and feels more natural.. It's more robust too. It's actually loads easier to handle for FPS games for example..

So am I getting an Xbox One? Yup.

Do I think Microsoft betrayed me? Nope.

Do I think the 2nd hand market people have betrayed me? YUP!

Will I be getting a PS4? Maybe later. If the controller is better than the DS3 I might get it sooner rather than later.

Message 108 of 170 (131 Views)
Sackboy
522 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

EG_NeoMorph wrote:

How have they betrayed our trust? 

Let ME count the ways...

NO, Microsoft is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company ignores their supporters for many months disagreeing with always online, or online DRM requirements = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company tries to force things many of their supporters have issues with. = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company says a bunch of idiotic things. = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company tries to lie (Puts DRM blame on the publishers when it's their DRM system) to cover their tracks. = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company says those are potential scenarios, and then comes back two weeks later with the same crap = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company tries to use spin/manipulation by the way they word things should be taken as an insult.  That they think they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes, and think you will buy anyways. = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company flip-flops their vision within two weeks time shows everyone how wrong they were, and how unworthy/untrustworthy they are of deserving future support. = That is not being trustworthy

Anytime a company makes a console needing a peripheral (Kinect) plugged in just so the console can work = That is not being trustworthy

Nothing about the Xbone/Microsoft is trustworthy... I rest my case.

Message 109 of 170 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Nothing you have put actually is actually true. All those things were blown out of proportion by the media and like the majority of the public you ate it all up and assumed that Microsoft is some big brother wannabe.

Did you even read what I put regarding about the DRM? THEY...WERE... TRYING... TO... HELP... THE... DEVS...

OK,.. say you sold an Item we will call XYZ for £30.

Customer A buys the item from the developer for £30. He finishes the game and sells it on.

Customer B buys the game from a second hand shop. £20 goes the the second hand shop and let's say £10 goes to Customer A.

Customer B sells it on when he finishes it. He gets's £10 back when he sells it back to the shop.

The second hand shop sell it again for £20 to Customer C.

Now look at how much money the second hand shop has made and look at how much the developer who has worked hard to make the game. Because Customer B and C bought the same game from the second hand shop the developer lost out on £60. All Microsoft was going to do was add a SMALL FEE... for selling the game on. Not a huge fee, a SMALL FEE. It would have gone to the people who make the game rather than the second hand shop. I think the second hand system is ultimately more destructive than piracy to be honest.

The DRM that everyone seems to despise would have protocted our purchases (imagine if your stuff was stolen... the games would have been registered to your account so you could have just got a replacement console and downloaded them to your new machine).

The new system was more geared to a 21st Century lifestyle. After all, the music we buy on Itunes is basically locked to an identical system and nobody screams foul regarding that.

No, I think it was all down to poor explanation from Microsoft and then a media that overreacted to the news of the new system. And like I said, Microsoft had to to step back and return to the original system.

Just have a read of this and DIGEST.... http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous-xbox-engineer-explains-drm-and-microsofts-xbox-one-intentions

Message 110 of 170 (120 Views)