Feb 17 2014
By: thejtl Splicer 50 posts

Gold Wireless 7.1 vs. Astro A40 and 4 other headsets

22 replies 5191 views Edited Feb 17, 2014

Folks, 

I've spent the last couple weeks searcing for a new headset. Last week I added the new Gold WOreless to the mix and put htem up against the others in a shootout. I've been a recording musician and sound engineer for 25+ years. I explain the whole thought process I went through to come to my ultimate decision. The result kinda surprised me. I made a video to explain. I'd be in terested to know what you think.

http://youtu.be/2Y0ietlIYiI

PSN: thejtl
XBL: theJTL71
www.jasontlewis.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/thejasontlewis
Message 1 of 23 (5,191 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5251 posts

Re: Gold Wireless 7.1 vs. Astro A40 and 4 other headsets

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

I must say, very impressive analysis. I did the same thing and came to the conclusion I liked my PlayStation Gold headset and instead of most of my headsets, it never got returned or sold online despite preferring the surround on the Astro A50's I own (not saying the Gold's surround is bad, it's directional but not as open or spacious as I would like). Primarily user my Gold's for my music and Vita as they sound excellent for stereo sound. 

Message 2 of 23 (5,166 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Thanks. It was fun to got through all this stuff. I was kind of surprised at where gaming headsets are in terms of overall quality. Seems like a lot of less-than-awesome stuff out there and you really have to dig and know what you're looking for to find the few good sets out there. In comparison to the audiophile and pro audio world, it's pretty undeveloped.

www.jasontlewis.com
Message 3 of 23 (5,162 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10077 posts

Feb 17, 2014
As a sound engineer, you shouldn't be playing with any of these headsets. Their really nothing more then toys.
Message 4 of 23 (5,151 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 17, 2014

True, true, but they do have their good points.

The set I'm wearing in the video are Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pros (80 Ohm). They're nice--really nice--and just a little more expensive than the A40s, which highlights how out of whack the gaming headset market is. I'd love to see a company come out with a set that blew away the fidelity and had all the functionality. That's what I'd pay top dollar for.

but until that time, I'll keep up the search and try and take a little of what I know from my years working with pro gear and throw it out there for consideration.

www.jasontlewis.com
Message 5 of 23 (5,148 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10077 posts

Feb 17, 2014
@thejti

And that's why I recommend the A30's or A40's to people just getting into headphones but won't budge on creating their own setup. At least with the A40's, they can just sell the headset one day since its the Astro Mixamp that they really want. Just buy some good headphones, Astros Y adapter and a Zalman mic or Antlion Modmic and they have a true hi-fidelity upgrade.

For gaming, I prefer an open design like the AKG Q701's or Sennheiser HD598's for better soundstage and imaging. The 598's are an excellent choice for competitive shooters but some may be turned off by their lack of bass. The Q701's are a better package since they have a bit of mid bass (even better with the K702 65th Anniversery earpads) however with them being 62 Ohms, they need to be double amped with something like an FiiO E9 running with the mixamp. From what I'm hearing though is one of the best setups you can use for gaming is the Astro Mixamp with the Sony MDR MA900's.

And I agree that the gaming headset market is completely out of wack. I think most see how easily Turtle Beach manipulates people and its like they don't even have to try. And its also not expensive for any of these companies to make a hi-fidelity headset. They make Taiwan knockoffs of the AKG K240's which are the Samson SR850's and Superlux HD668 b's which sound like $200 for only $40 to $50 on Amazon.
Message 6 of 23 (5,129 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 17, 2014
^i have been PM this guy all week about how that astro mixamp sounds like lol
Message 7 of 23 (5,119 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1260 posts

Feb 17, 2014

You sold me. If Sony paid you, job well done. lol

At the end of the day, I'm chillin'. You should all do the same.
Message 8 of 23 (5,100 Views)
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Feb 17, 2014
Wait so do most gaming headsets let you listen to your own voice while you talk?
Because I would like that feature.
Message 9 of 23 (5,094 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4558 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:
Wait so do most gaming headsets let you listen to your own voice while you talk?
Because I would like that feature.

Yes they do.

this is needed as once...

the ears become covered...

Your own voice is canceled out...

And you start talking louder as the sound of your own voice is a regulator of the volume you talk at...

Side tone or Voice monitoring is now Normal on game audio headsets so that you don't  scream at your non headset  wearing house hold... 

In the Early days the mics booms had Two Directional Mics 1 for your voice sent to the chat channel another sent to Just the users speakers this meant you could hear the rest of the room and were not deaf... Later ditched as blocking the room noise be came very important but ,now, you have to take the headset off to talk to a living person...

The secondary mic is now used to generate inverted Audio to Cancel out the room noise by creating sound waves that are the opersite of the Wife waffling on  loved one having a long topic about some thing...  

PDP Remotesnapshot6.png

Message 10 of 23 (5,068 Views)
0 Likes