Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Re: Pulse Elite vs Sony Gold - PS newest gaming headset!

Jan 24, 2014

Vanexel wrote:

Great post. I agree with you 100%. I have the Pulse elites, astro A40/A30 , and the Sony MDR-MA900. I cant wait to try the new gold wireless stereo headset from sony. Im not expecting that much from it based on its price point. Sony sold a lot of Pulse elites and wireless stereo headset because of its low price point . I just hope the battery life is addressed, at least 8-10 hrs, and  also it has bass. The bass impact was very gimmicky. 

It seems Sony will release a new firmware for PS4 and PS3.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/PS4-Firmware-Update-1-6-Coming-Soon-According-to-New-Sony-Headset-Des...

Should i keep my Pulse elites or give them away?

I'd hang onto them!  If you;re planning on getting the Golds, having a pair of Elites for backup is a great thing.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 31 of 122 (2,788 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Jan 24, 2014
@Grindhead_Jim

While I agree not everybody is looking for top of the line, I just wonder why Sony isn't trying to make top of the line for people. I mean a lot of people do buy headsets like this because they believe they are getting the "Official" experience. They see it the same as they would the official controller vs a generic one. Why not offer that in different Tiers of quality?

Instead of just a budget headset, they could have those golds, maybe the elite as well as a headset designed more like the Sennheiser G4ME ONE or PC360. If Sony had a top tier headset, it would certainly sell.
Message 32 of 122 (2,781 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Funny the bestbuy link say's item no longer available. The play asia link states this:

A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively) and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.

interesting now just have to wait for 1.6 to come out.

Message 33 of 122 (2,773 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
@Grindhead_Jim

While I agree not everybody is looking for top of the line, I just wonder why Sony isn't trying to make top of the line for people. I mean a lot of people do buy headsets like this because they believe they are getting the "Official" experience. They see it the same as they would the official controller vs a generic one. Why not offer that in different Tiers of quality?

Instead of just a budget headset, they could have those golds, maybe the elite as well as a headset designed more like the Sennheiser G4ME ONE or PC360. If Sony had a top tier headset, it would certainly sell.

I agree that tiered headsets would make a lot of sense, for sure.  For all we know, the Gold is the first step in that direction.  One hopes that this is the case, as both markets need to be served. Smiley Happy

Grindhead_Jim

Message 34 of 122 (2,767 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 24, 2014

It wouldn't sell muderstyle. I would throw down $300 on a pair of high quality sony gaming headset in a heartbeat. The vast majority want a sub $100 gaming headset. People are already complaining about the $129 price tag.

Muderstyle if you want sony's best I recommend the Sony MDR-MA900. I just hope Sony  put better drivers and a better battery in this new headset. Im not to happy about the hidden mic though. The pulse elite hidden mic was below average. If sony is able to make this headset sound on par with the  A40  I would be happy and I know the average gammer would be blown away.

Sony's $100 MDR headphones are good so one would think Sony would take one  of thier MDR $100  models and build that into a nice gaming headset with good lows, mids, and highs. Maybe even make it semi-open.

Message 35 of 122 (2,750 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Jan 24, 2014

As it is now, I have both the Pulse Elite and the original Sony wireless headsets.  I like the original ones better than the Elite.  I think the original ones sound better and are more comfortable to wear for long periods.  The Elite set start to fatigue head and ears after awhile and the vibration mode is, to me, just a gimmick that I could live without.  It seemed like the Elite set sacrificed some actual bass from the speakers and made the vibration simulate the bass the speakers lacked. I didn't care for that at all.

The ONLY things the elites had over the originals was battery life and aesthetics.....and I think my regulars just have a flaky battery in them.

The new gold headset basically looks a lot like the regular headset, with that squared off design of the head band.  I wonder if they improved the sound quality at all.  If they did, I might get them. 

My Elite headset is just collecting dust because of the discomort and the fact that I hated having to balance the vibration and volume all the time to get decent sound quality.  Then there's that issue with the Elites where the head band will stress-crack on you after awhile.....

I've been a gamer since Pong was a new system.
Message 36 of 122 (2,746 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
499 posts

Jan 24, 2014

wow i almost want these because it looks like it works for the whole line up ps 3 4 vita wow, i need headphones for my vita lol

Message 37 of 122 (2,734 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Jan 24, 2014
@Vanexel

I'm thinking about the MA900's to add to my collection as they have some lower bass than my AKG Q701's and don't need to be double amped since they are 16 Ohms.

And if you look at all the high priced gaming headsets out there, I think a high end one certainly would sell. I've had many debates on the Xbox forums about their $300 Official Tritton Warheads which are not really that good but the loyal Xbox supporters defend them to the death. Those Turtle Beach XO Sevens and XP500/510's sell as well.

And even for people who want a $100 experience, headphones like the Pulse and these new Golds might not be that bad if only they opened them up to increase their soundstage, imaging and fidelity instead of virtually every console gaming headset being of a closed design to emphasize bass.

Sennheiser makes closed gaming headphones as well for people who prefer a bassy experience like with the PC350's and G4ME ZERO's but their flagship models are the open air design PC360's and G4ME ONE's. Since Sony definately has knowledge of this with their MDR MA900's and MDR F1's, there is no reason they can't offer this as an option for even their bargain gaming headsets.
Message 38 of 122 (2,725 Views)
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Sony wants Turtle Beach sales numbers. They wouldn't make a large profit from selling a $300 headset. The old Sony that released a $600 PS3 in 2006 would have definetly released a top tier high quality headset for more than $250. The Sony of today released a $400 PS4 that is great console that I love but I know Sony really wanted to create a beast but they know very little would fork over $600 for the PS4.

Sony's 7.1 virtual headphone technology is a step below dolby headphone tech. It is just an algorithm that positions the sound so hopefully sony has improved it. I think what makes the Astro mixamp work so good is because it uses dolby headphone tech and Dolby pro logic ll, by mixing the two Astro provides great positional sound to stereo headsets. The DTS headphone X does it even better. The PS4 uses some new proprietary sound that was co-developed by AMD and Sony . I guess we just gotta wait. I hope sony releases the full specs this time. I wanna know driver size and type, frequency response, impendance, and ect. Sony has a press confrence next week so hopefully these are shown and talked about.

Message 39 of 122 (2,707 Views)
MVP Support
6032 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2014

Vanexel wrote:

Sony wants Turtle Beach sales numbers. They wouldn't make a large profit from selling a $300 headset. The old Sony that released a $600 PS3 in 2006 would have definetly released a top tier high quality headset for more than $250. The Sony of today released a $400 PS4 that is great console that I love but I know Sony really wanted to create a beast but they know very little would fork over $600 for the PS4.

Sony's 7.1 virtual headphone technology is a step below dolby headphone tech. It is just an algorithm that positions the sound so hopefully sony has improved it. I think what makes the Astro mixamp work so good is because it uses dolby headphone tech and Dolby pro logic ll, by mixing the two Astro provides great positional sound to stereo headsets. The DTS headphone X does it even better. The PS4 uses some new proprietary sound that was co-developed by AMD and Sony . I guess we just gotta wait. I hope sony releases the full specs this time. I wanna know driver size and type, frequency response, impendance, and ect. Sony has a press confrence next week so hopefully these are shown and talked about.

Wish granted, sorta...

specs

Here's more info as well about them btw, with where I found the image above.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/24/rumor-new-headset-listing-suggests-the-ps4-headset-co...

Message 40 of 122 (2,661 Views)