Highlighted
Jun 17 2013
By: MAULxx Splicer 49 posts

Good Magazine?

11 replies 148 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

I haven't subscribed to a magazine in years but with a rekindling love for all things physical & soon to be full blown Playstation only for next generation I find myself looking for a good physical magazine to subscribe to. I also am spending less & less time in front of the computer.

Is there any great "Hold in your hand" magazines left?

Can you  give me some good recommendations?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: Good Magazine?

Jun 17, 2013

The Official Playstation Magazine used to be really good and I got it for a lot of years but it has since seased production. I get Gameinformer now, it covers all systems and PC but mostly Plastation and Xbox. Ive had it for a few years and I still like it.

Message 2 of 12 (145 Views)
Splicer
49 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

What about EGM? Do they still have print magazines or what?

Is there no playstation only physical magazines left?

Looks like there's not many too choose from now. I looked for some at Walmart & different places that sell magazines & it seems no one carries game magazines anymore. I need to walk in Barnes & Noble. If anyone would have them, they would.

I'll definately check out Game Informer. Thanks.

Message 3 of 12 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Jun 17, 2013

MAULxx wrote:

What about EGM? Do they still have print magazines or what?

Is there no playstation only physical magazines left?

EGM is no more (unfortunately)

Message 4 of 12 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2036 posts

Jun 17, 2013
i get gameinformer (mainly because i get it for being a pro member at gamestop)

(that extra 10% deal is broken, i brought a game in worth 1.40, and he's like youll get 2.50 for it, which is not an extra 10%, so Im ok with it)
Message 5 of 12 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

This is sad. I guess I should have supported these physical magazines but like most others paying for internet I had a hard time justifying it.

Now though, with what looks like a digital only future for games & such, I'm starting to cherish the physical alot more. I just always took it for granted really. I was so relieved when Sony announced they would have no schemes built into the PS4 system.

"Don't know what ya got, till it's gone" I suppose applies here, even though it's not gone completely... yet.

Message 6 of 12 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Jun 17, 2013

MAULxx wrote:

This is sad. I guess I should have supported these physical magazines but like most others paying for internet I had a hard time justifying it.

Now though, with what looks like a digital only future for games & such, I'm starting to cherish the physical alot more. I just always took it for granted really. I was so relieved when Sony announced they would have no schemes built into the PS4 system.

"Don't know what ya got, till it's gone" I suppose applies here, even though it's not gone completely... yet.

I think the big disadvantage of physical magazines is that they release monthly, comparing to online gaming websites that release the news just whenever they want. That and the lapse of time between they finalize the magazine, the printing and the logistic means all the news we get on a magazine is at least 1-2 weeks old comparing to online sources. That's also why by the time I stop buying magazines, I was only reading them for editorials and reader columns.

Message 7 of 12 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Yes, you can get almost instant news online but I just want some game news & stuff to read & take with me to read without the need for devices & batteries. Holding a magazine in my hand, feeling the pages as I turn them, smelling the ink & letting my brother read it after I'm done. It may be old news on the net but it's still enjoyable.

Message 8 of 12 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Nintendo Power recently stoped printing as well.

Gameinformer, get it. At least go read through and issue and see if you like it.

Message 9 of 12 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11776 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Actually, I'm pretty sure that EGM is still in circulation. The magazine stopped production a few years ago, but in a short time after the magazine was once again back on its feet. It was only a couple of years ago when I resubscribed to the magazine, which still publishes content from the likes of Sean Baby.

If you're looking for EGM though, you can head to their site to subscribe. Otherwise, Game Informer is one of the only other options left as far as gaming console magazines go. All of the magazines that were dedicated to a certain company such as PlayStation or Nintendo I'm fairly certain have gone under. Even other popular magazines that had a widespread portfolio of content have suffered the same fate unfortunately, including GamePro.

Message 10 of 12 (81 Views)
0 Likes