Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 29 2013
By: Bluedot_v2 Lombax Warrior 107 posts
Accepted Solution

Good RPG Game?

26 replies 455 views Edited Jun 29, 2013

I like getting lost in my own fantasy world, like for example Oblivion and Skyrim. I really enjoyed being able to make my own name for myself, start my own journey and go down what path I wanted to not being forced to follow a quest or storyline. Are there any titles on the PS3 that are similar to this concept? I'm a new playstation owner so I'm not familiar with it's exclusives or even some decent RPG's I might not of tried or heard of.

photo MastershakeSig_zpsf70b018d.jpg
Deuces Xbox 360 (6/23/13)
Reformed Xbox Member
So what if my sig ain't pretty, I think it's dope!
Message 1 of 27 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Re: Good RPG Game?

Jun 30, 2013

If you haven't aready checked, I suggest looking through the rpg subheading under the games tab in these forums. There are lots of old and new posts that may help you. I love rpg's myself...thats about all I really like to play. However, I'm just the opposite and prefer a good story as opposed to a total free roaming open world. Skyrim ( like you said ) was the game I would suggest. Other than that, I think the majority of rpg's on the ps3 are more story driven. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the ones I have played so far. Kingdoms of Amalur the Reckoning, Dungeon Siege 3, Sacred 2, Dragons Age, White Knight Chronicles 2.   Have not played Dragons Dogma yet, but i have read positive things about it and will buy it soon. It may be something that would interest you.

Im very much looking foward to two games coming out soon. Final Fantasy xiv, an mmo with monthly fees. Its in closed beta now and people are very excited so far. I believe the release date is late Aug. The second is Diablo 3. Not well received on the pc, but I'm very anxious to play it on the ps3. Good luck on your search.

Message 2 of 27 (426 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Jun 30, 2013
Dragon's Dogma for sure, it doesn't have as good graphics as Skyrim but the exploration and combat is much better and there's legendary monsters around that take like 10 minutes+ to kill it's crazy.
Message 3 of 27 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

Dragon's Dogma, Two Worlds II, Sacred II, and either of the Fallout Games are excellent choices.  The first three games I mentioned my not be on par with skyrim in terms of story and visuals, but they are still great games none the less and hold the same gameplay dynamic (each with its own perks that make them stand out from the rest).

Also, while a different flow as far as NPC interaction goes, hit up Dark Souls if you get the chance.  Dark Souls II will be out before you know it and that is deffinetly a series worth getting into.

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 4 of 27 (415 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7174 posts

Jun 30, 2013
Do you like JRPGs?

HEARTFIVEFOURTEEN.png

_____________________ - = Share the Greatness with PlayStation= - ______________________

Message 5 of 27 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Surprised to hear Dragon's Dogma recommendations. I haven't played it, but everyone I spoke to said it sucked...which was disappointing to hear since it looked sweet in the trailers.

I'd say Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are as close to The Elder Scrolls games as you'll find - large, open-world RPGs. Don't let the guns fool you, they're very much RPGs (the shooter mechanics are faked).

Message 6 of 27 (403 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

Surprised to hear Dragon's Dogma recommendations. I haven't played it, but everyone I spoke to said it sucked...which was disappointing to hear since it looked sweet in the trailers.

I'd say Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are as close to The Elder Scrolls games as you'll find - large, open-world RPGs. Don't let the guns fool you, they're very much RPGs (the shooter mechanics are faked).

The story is not the games strong point, so if that was what they were looking for, thats why they said that.  The gameplay is smooth and fun however and the Pawn system is brilliant.  Not gonna lie, I was sceptical when I first started playing.  But if you stick with it, people get hooked pretty fast.  If you don't mind a somewhat shallow main plot, give it a try.  This is one of the few games out there where other aspects will make up for it and then some.

Furthermore there is a ton of content to explore.  I'm about 30 hours in and still not half way throught the main story, though I did explore a lot outside of the side quests just to find as much as I could too.

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 7 of 27 (398 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11171 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Your best options would be

• Fallout 3
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragons' Dogma
  • Demons' Souls
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Rainbow Moon (it's more story heavy than others, but it's pretty open as well.)
  • Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (not much of a story line at all, but open exploration inside of 2 dungeons. Can be brutal if you're not into old school First Person View RPGs. It's a throw back to older console RPGs like D&D Eye of the Beholder.)
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Dragon Age II (not as good as the original)

Beware though the Fallout games can be buggy at times, sadly Bethesda has not ported to the PS 3 very well. Demons' Souls is not a game I enjoyed at all, but many hail it as being pretty awesome.

Most of the RPGs that I would suggest are JRPGs, in other words, story heavy and less exploration. I enjoy both styles of RPGs.

Welcome to the Playstation Forums. Glad to see you're also in the FF XIV Beta. Nice to meet you. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a message on the PSN or here and I'll answer as soon as I can. There is an RPG sub forum as well as one for the Final Fantasy franchise. 

RPG General

Final Fantasy

Message 8 of 27 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
551 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls allow you to choose your way, without forcing you down a linear story-driven path.  You also freely build your character similar to Elder Scrolls games:  Stack stat points toward your preferred play style, be it sword & board, bow, large two-handed weaponry, dual-wield, magic, etc, or any combination you prefer.

Message 9 of 27 (374 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jul 1, 2013

If you like games like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV are essentials. 

Same engine and gameplay, and same developers. 

Check them out. They are awesome. 

Message 10 of 27 (359 Views)
0 Likes