Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: Good RPG Game?

Jul 1, 2013

ccrogers15 wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:

Thats not exactly true. 

Oblivion used Gamebryo, which then later was expanded and used in FO3 and FONV. But then, Bethesda made a fork of Gamebryo and make the skyrim engine, which is still technically the same engine as past titles, but way more advanced. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo#Licensing

Incorrect. Skyrim uses the Creation Engine, a brand new engine created for Skyrim. It is NOT simply a more advanced Gamebryo.

Also, Bethesda developed the TES games and FO3, but was NOT the developer for FONV, just the publisher.

Again, incorrect: http://peter.corrosivetruths.org/2011/12/21/is-skyrims-creation-just-gamebryo/

Just because it borrows some code does not mean it's simply an updated engine. Bethesda said it themselves that they created a new engine just for Skyrim (and a subsequent game). As a programmer myself, I can tell you that programmers often borrow code from other sources because if it's already written, why rewrite it? Bethesda had licensing for Gamebryo already, so it's not like there were any legal issues for borrowing code.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 27 (152 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jul 1, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

ccrogers15 wrote:

Thats not exactly true. 

Oblivion used Gamebryo, which then later was expanded and used in FO3 and FONV. But then, Bethesda made a fork of Gamebryo and make the skyrim engine, which is still technically the same engine as past titles, but way more advanced. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo#Licensing

Incorrect. Skyrim uses the Creation Engine, a brand new engine created for Skyrim. It is NOT simply a more advanced Gamebryo.

Also, Bethesda developed the TES games and FO3, but was NOT the developer for FONV, just the publisher.

Again, incorrect: http://peter.corrosivetruths.org/2011/12/21/is-skyrims-creation-just-gamebryo/

Just because it borrows some code does not mean it's simply an updated engine. Bethesda said it themselves that they created a new engine just for Skyrim (and a subsequent game). As a programmer myself, I can tell you that programmers often borrow code from other sources because if it's already written, why rewrite it? Bethesda had licensing for Gamebryo already, so it's not like there were any legal issues for borrowing code.

Im also a programmer. The Creation Engine is a "Fork" of Gamebryo. Just because its got a new name means nothing. Its still basically Gamebryo, but with updated content for use on RPGs from bethesda. 

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 27 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11704 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Who cares?

The OP wants a suggestion for an RPG, not a discussion on game engines....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 27 (143 Views)
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

Dragon's Dogma most definetly, if you can get past some minor visual flaws you will be very pleased with that game, trust me. Also, Demon's Souls and Drak Souls are a must for any RPG fan.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 27 (138 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jul 1, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Who cares?

The OP wants a suggestion for an RPG, not a discussion on game engines....

When you become mr.mod, you can tell us to do that all you want. Until then, he already solved the topic, and we started this conv. 

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 27 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Jul 4, 2013

Recently finished Dungeon Siege 3 and was pleasantly surprised. Fairly linear and a bit shallow...but fun. I enjoyed my play through as melee very much. Some may consider it short when compared to other rpg's, but i thought it was a good length ( 20 plus hours ). Playing Sacred 2 next, then a little talked about game that i have read has a great coop mode...Portal 2.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 27 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1465 posts

Jul 5, 2013

can final fantasy just make another game i can finally enjoy again?!

photo 4uxeSNX.jpgIn Me

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 27 (101 Views)
0 Likes