Highlighted
Mar 22 2014
By: TheLaughingSwine Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Got my PS4 today! Tips for taking care of it?

[ Edited ]
18 replies 6688 views Edited Mar 22, 2014

Hello, With the release of Infamous SS The PS4 finally got a game that i wanted, so i went to game stop today...sadly the first PS4 i bought was defective...after the update the system would not turn onSmiley Sad i called sony for help and they said all they could do was take the system in for repair...uhh...i was like...that sounds great in all...but i think im just going to ask gamestop for a exchange...O yea! says the sony guy on the phone, do that it will be alot faster, so i give GS a call and the guy tells me, well hmm the thing is we don't have alot of Ps4's in stock...uhh ... ... ... let me check how many we have left, if we only have a few ps4's left then i can't exchange your broken one for a new,  when he comes back on the phone he lets out a sigh...i think O great! i have to wait 7-10 days for a new Ps4 in my head, he says you are in luck we can replace your Ps4Smiley Very Happy-Smiley Surprised my second ps4 is running great so far and i am enjoying Infamous SS, lol i have been playing it for 5 hours now. Right now i am giving my ps4 a rest before i start back up...i am really enjoying the systemSmiley Happy.

Uhh noobie question: does it matter if i turn the system off you put it in standby mode? also after my first Ps4 was defective any tips to take care of my second one would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for readingSmiley Happy

Mod Edit: Updated Labels and modified thread title for clarity. Check here for more information. Thanks! - lokis_grrl

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 19 (6,688 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5698 posts

Re: Woot! Got my Ps4 today!

Mar 22, 2014

Congratulations buddy.. Welcome to the Playstation 4 world!  Enjoy your game and console it's an amazing console

photo f9ed0560-3816-41c2-9bbf-cb66d0260acb_zpsyrnrzise.jpg
Message 2 of 19 (6,684 Views)
MVP Support
13390 posts

Mar 22, 2014

TheLaughingSwine wrote:

Uhh noobie question: does it matter if i turn the system off you put it in standby mode? also after my first Ps4 was defective any tips to take care of my second one would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for readingSmiley Happy

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!  Glad to have you.  Smiley Happy

It doesn't really matter what state you put it however I use the general rule, if you're coming back to the console within a couple hours or days, then leave it in Standby mode; however if you're going away on vacation, then turn it off completely.  Personally I turn mine off completely.

Z.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 3 of 19 (6,658 Views)
Fender Bender
3220 posts

Mar 22, 2014
For the noob questions #1 If you put it on standby it will be faster to load up when you turn it on but i would not leave it on standby for a long period and not use the system. #2 Take care of it as if you would a normal computer. Sorry to hear the first system broke on you.

P.S. Enjoy your ps4 experience.
Message 4 of 19 (6,655 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12544 posts

Mar 22, 2014

Make sure to keep it well vented so it won't overheat. That wouldn't be good for it to happen. Enjoy your new PS4! Robot Happy

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 5 of 19 (6,638 Views)
Sackboy
480 posts

Re: Got my PS4 today! Tips for taking care of it?

Mar 22, 2014

I feel bad for you having issues, for all 5 game consoles I've owned, none have ever been deffective. I don't know if it matters if it's on standby or completely off but I always turn it off all of the way just to make sure it's getting as much rest as possible. Taking care of it, all I can say is make sure it has a fresh air supply so the back vents aren't pushed up against anything. 

Message 6 of 19 (6,603 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2040 posts

Mar 22, 2014

tumblr_m6l6o8EiMJ1r0bbrto1_1280.png

Message 7 of 19 (6,598 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
1691 posts

Mar 22, 2014

Personally the way I treat Standby is this:

- If I'm going to be going back to the console in a handful of hours (ex. dinner break, need to go run and do some things, etc.) then I'll leave it on Standby, great chance to charge controllers and whatnot too.

- If not, I'll usually shut it off (ie. done for the night, going to work, etc.)

- Altohugh Im leaving myself with the possibility that if I know there will be a big patch coming out that day and Ill be gone for several hours, I may leave it on standby so it can download the patch while Im away.

Someone mentioned vents and cooling, thats important too. I have mine set on a desk, with a little over a foot between the back of the PS4, and the stand that has my TV. Now my setup is a bit overkill for good cooling, just make sure you dont have it wedged in an entertainment center with a cloth or something obstructing the vents in the back, Ill also try to dust it off on occasion, although luckily I think due to the design of the system, the dust never seems to fall where the vents are, due to the angled edge over the vent (wonder if that was intentional!)

Message 8 of 19 (6,585 Views)
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Mar 22, 2014
Just try to keep dust out of the system. I wouldnt run it for too long at one time. Give it breaks. Like everyone said KEEP IT WELL VENTILATED! Haha. Welcome ! And you made a great choice picking up a ps4. Im enjoying the hell outta mine! Had it about a month and ive had no problems (knock on wood) so far!
Message 9 of 19 (6,573 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2014

My tip is not to download the firmware updates right away, been seeing a lot of people bricking their consoles by rushing bad updates, wait a week and watch the support forums before installing them. Not sure why Sony's so bad at updates they do everything else really well <_<

Message 10 of 19 (6,570 Views)