Nov 09 2013
By: UBERDOMINATOR First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

Headset compatibility?

[ Edited ]
23 replies 1263 views Edited Sep 16, 2014

So, I have been reading up on headset compatibility for the PS4 and am finding conflicting answers everywhere.  Some sites suggest that only brand new headsets will work.  Some suggest that non-wireless headsets will work.  Some suggest that any that worked with PS3 will work.  I have Turtle Beach X12's that I absolutely love, but I have no clue if they will work with PS4.  Are there any CONCRETE details about the situation on compatibility?  Will my headset work?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mod Edit: Added label. Click here for more info on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

Message 1 of 24 (1,263 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5925 posts

Re: Headset compatibility?

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

UBERDOMINATOR wrote:

So, I have been reading up on headset compatibility for the PS4 and am finding conflicting answers everywhere.  Some sites suggest that only brand new headsets will work.  Some suggest that non-wireless headsets will work.  Some suggest that any that worked with PS3 will work.  I have Turtle Beach X12's that I absolutely love, but I have no clue if they will work with PS4.  Are there any CONCRETE details about the situation on compatibility?  Will my headset work?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

HeadsetsBluetoothNOHeadsets that are currently commercially available are incompatible.
 USBYES

Will be compatible following system software version 1.50.
* After the update, most commercially available USB headsets will be compatible.

That is taken from the Ultimate FAQ for the PS4:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

The X12 is usb powered so it should work fine but that is a 360 headset, so hopefully it is compatible on PS4.

A firmware/software update on PS4 (1.50) will be need to enable usb headset support though.

Message 2 of 24 (1,252 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
847 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Technically, you should be able to connect the USB to PS4 (to power the X12) and then the 3.5mm green audio plug to the controller (since you're supposed to be able to use the 3.5mm jack on the controller to listen to full game audio). Highly doubtful that you'll be able to use it for voice chat, but using this method you shoud be able to use it for game audio.

There is another and most surefire way to use your X12 for audio.. and with better sound quality.. but it involves buying accessories that cost more than the X12 itself. On the back of the PS4 is an optical output jack. You can get a decent DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) and run an optical cable from PS4 to DAC, then plug the RCA cables that came with the X12 to the DAC. However, I wouldn't recommend this because a decent DAC is around $30 and the X12 is like what.. $10?

USB headsets such as the Pulse Elite will work after a patch (I think the day 1 patch). Turtle Beach PX4 will definitely work at launch. TECHNICALLY, any headphones and earphones will work -- just plug it into the controller. You know the earphones that came with your iPhone that you can use for handsfree phone calls? I read somewhere that you might even be able to use that for voice chat.. that's unconfirmed though. 

My recommendation, however, is to invest in a new headset. X12s are nice for the price, but there's just so much better sounding headsets out there. Go check out the Pulse Elite or the PX4. If you don't care much for voice chat and only care about high quality sound, Amazon has a nice pre-black friday sale on many great headphones. I saw Klipsch Image One headphones on there for $70 (normally $150) and VMODA Crossfades for $100 (normally $200). Get a high quality headphone, a DAC, and you are set. 

Message 3 of 24 (1,243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 9, 2013
Thank you for not only giving an answer but also providing a legitimate source. I had read that page before but somehow that slipped past me.

Thanks!
Message 4 of 24 (1,240 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Yeah, the voice chat is actually one of my biggest concerns.  If it works anything like the Xbox controller, it should take the voice line and run that into the controller, then from the controller to the PS4.  The game audio comes from the console, bypassing the controller.  Hopefully the PS4 works the same.  I never really got the opportunity to test with my PS3 since I don't currently have any friends who own one.  That is changing in a week though!!! 

Thank you for the response!

Message 5 of 24 (1,235 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
847 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

UBERDOMINATOR wrote:

Yeah, the voice chat is actually one of my biggest concerns.  If it works anything like the Xbox controller, it should take the voice line and run that into the controller, then from the controller to the PS4.  The game audio comes from the console, bypassing the controller.  Hopefully the PS4 works the same.  I never really got the opportunity to test with my PS3 since I don't currently have any friends who own one.  That is changing in a week though!!! 

Thank you for the response!

edit: nvm for some reason I was tihnking about a situation using a monitor instead of a TV

But yeah, you could connect the X12 USB to PS4 to power it, then the RCA to the back of your TV. If your TV doesn't have RCA connections, then you have to find a way around. Does your TV have RCA connections?

Message 6 of 24 (1,226 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
182 posts

Nov 9, 2013

BRB_Krew wrote:

Technically, you should be able to connect the USB to PS4 (to power the X12) and then the 3.5mm green audio plug to the controller (since you're supposed to be able to use the 3.5mm jack on the controller to listen to full game audio). Highly doubtful that you'll be able to use it for voice chat, but using this method you shoud be able to use it for game audio.

There is another and most surefire way to use your X12 for audio.. and with better sound quality.. but it involves buying accessories that cost more than the X12 itself. On the back of the PS4 is an optical output jack. You can get a decent DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) and run an optical cable from PS4 to DAC, then plug the RCA cables that came with the X12 to the DAC. However, I wouldn't recommend this because a decent DAC is around $30 and the X12 is like what.. $10?

USB headsets such as the Pulse Elite will work after a patch (I think the day 1 patch). Turtle Beach PX4 will definitely work at launch. TECHNICALLY, any headphones and earphones will work -- just plug it into the controller. You know the earphones that came with your iPhone that you can use for handsfree phone calls? I read somewhere that you might even be able to use that for voice chat.. that's unconfirmed though. 

My recommendation, however, is to invest in a new headset. X12s are nice for the price, but there's just so much better sounding headsets out there. Go check out the Pulse Elite or the PX4. If you don't care much for voice chat and only care about high quality sound, Amazon has a nice pre-black friday sale on many great headphones. I saw Klipsch Image One headphones on there for $70 (normally $150) and VMODA Crossfades for $100 (normally $200). Get a high quality headphone, a DAC, and you are set. 

So I'll be able to use my Beats since I can plug in regular ole headphones?

Message 7 of 24 (1,209 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
847 posts

Nov 9, 2013

UPT_DC_BobMarley wrote:

BRB_Krew wrote:

So I'll be able to use my Beats since I can plug in regular ole headphones?

Yes. From the Official PS4 FAQ hosted at PlayStation Blog:

Is it possible to output all game audio through DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s 3.5mm headset jack?

Yes, you can select the Output to Headsets option to either ‘Chat Audio’ or “All Audio.”

However, I think the more important question is what will the sound quality be like? If it ends up not being great, then the workaround would be to get an EarForce DSS or Astro MixAmp (or any headphone amp w/ optical input) and it to the PS4 via optical cable, and your headphones to the amp. Regardless, using a DSS or MixAmp would yield better sound quality.

The Sennheiser has a mic but supposedly it's specially designed for Apple products, so I don't know how that would work. I also have a pair of V-Moda Crossfades and its mic is designed to be universally compatible .. so I'm wondering if I'll be able to utilize both audio and voice chat if I connect it to the controller. So many questions but we'll find out in a week!

Message 8 of 24 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Nov 9, 2013
I would certainly go with the Astro Mixamp over the Turtle Beach DSS. While both are overpriced, the mixamp is a much better piece of equipment. I would assume the high cost of these products has to do with Sony and Microsoft licensing. The mixamp is $130 however if you look on Ebay, you can find it cheaper. The 2013 Mixamp Pro is fully wired which is its only con however you can still find the older version which is only semi wireless meaning the only wires are going from the unit to the headphones. From the console itself, you are wireless.

Biggest bang for your buck with headphones are the Samson SR850's or Superlux HD668B's. Both are the exact same headphones but the superlux ones are higher OHMs. While I have not heard the superlux ones, I hear the Samson's actually sound better. Both can be had for $40 to $60 on Ebay or Amazon and audiophiles would agree that both are right on par if not better than AKG's and Beyerdynamic's at at least five times the price. I say better because they have a really good balance of lows, mids and highs.

Last thing needed is a mic. If you can find one, the Mod Mic is what you want which runs about $30 but sold out everywhere. A cheap alternative would be the Zalman ZM Mic 1.

Also, while people are waiting for chat compatability, I did think about a possible fix until the patch. Now as long as you can hear game chat through your headphones like you can through your TV or surround sound, there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't just clip the included earbuds to your shirt and just use that mic in the meantime.
Message 9 of 24 (1,159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 13, 2013

Sony is making a serious business decision making all these bluetooth headsets not compatible.  I just spent 250.00 on mine a few months ago.  if anything, this makes me not want to buy Sony headsets in the future.  We are your cash cow, you need to satisfy the customers.

Message 10 of 24 (1,116 Views)
0 Likes