Jan 19 2014
By: TheLastNinja- Fender Bender 3071 posts

How MAG Could Work on PS4 as a Free-to-Play Definitive Edition Port?

[ Edited ]
79 replies 844 views Edited May 12, 2014

I started thinking about this a while ago. Now that the forums are going to be locked off, I figured I may as well throw the idea out here.

I had recalled that some people were willing to pay for the return of facewraps and balaclavas. I also thought about how even if Sony creates MAG 2, it may not live up to expectations. That's when I thought of another option for getting MAG on PS4.

Port MAG to PS4 and have it be F2P. Ideally, they would give it the "Definitive Edition" treatment. But I'd also be content with higher res textures, locked 60FPS and/or native 1080p. MAG is currently 720p native with an unlocked framerate, and uses 2x MSAA and triple-buffered VSYNC. [Which is why I always found MAG to be more pleasant to my eyes than BF and CoD on PS3.]

All maps and modes would be available free of charge.

Of course, Sony would need to make money from this venture...

Considering how many players are on the same map and the tiny amount of RAM on PS3, MAG actually had a decent amount of variety when it came to customization. All the different skins, voices, armors, camos, weapons, helmets, facial accessories. Electronics and rocket launchers would even show up on your player model if you had them in the correct equip slots. [Electronics in the Heavy Gear slot wouldn't show up on your model.]

Going from PS3's measly amount of RAM to PS4's amount would allow for much more customization. They could even add female skins! Vanity microtransactions would make Sony a decent amount of money. Accessories and helmets. Camos for armor and weapons.

Other microtransactions can include CP boosters, XP boosters, extra character slots, and the ability to transfer a soldier to another PMC without losing progress through Veteran Mode.

They could also utilize the DS4's lightbar and touchpad. The lightbar could be the PMC's color, and/or flash when the FRAGO'd objective is being secured. The touchpad could either be used as a way for squad leaders to mark path waypoints on the CNI map and to FRAGO objectives, or as a Command Ring, like the ones seen in Battlefield and MGO. MAG already has similar commands, but this would expand on those. They could sell additional commands, as MGO did with the Codec Packs.

Weapons and armor could be monetized too, if Sony could get someone to create new models and implement them. They would have to be minor upgrades, like the Heavy+ armor that came with Interdiction and the Tier 2.5 guns from Escalation [Tamsen/Gotha/M31CIR/Rubakho/KP21/etc.]  and/or have some minor drawbacks, like the T1.2 Snipers and LMGs of the Fast Attack and Trooper Packs. They could simply be alt. weapon skins, almost like the T1.2 Snipers and LMGs, or alt. armor models.

The amount of guns in the game could be doubled just by adding Tier x.5 upgrades. For example, the 1.5 sidearm could be a M1911 for Valor, and a T2 could be a revolver. Handguns already have a fairly slow fire rate and pack a punch, so it's not like a revolver would be much more OP. The SKS could be the T1.5 sniper for SVER. The HK G36 could be the T1.5 AR for Raven. The L85A2 could be the T1.5 AR for Valor.

I know new models and features may be dreaming too big, but I'd imagine skins/camo would be a bit more realistic and easier for Sony. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but maybe they could even find a way to use the existing maps for a new mode. The Suppression maps seem like a good fit for CTF.

<<Community Manager edit: Updated the title to be more descriptive to the topic. Awesome post! - mochuuu>>>

<<Ninja edit: How's that for a descriptive title?!>>

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 1 of 80 (844 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Re: I HAVE A DREAM [Another MAG on PS4 thread]

Jan 19, 2014
Yes.
 photo terrorbob.jpg
Message 2 of 80 (837 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1122 posts

Jan 19, 2014
LOL
Message 3 of 80 (834 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1128 posts

Jan 19, 2014
We got planetside 2 on PS4. It's the closest thing. :smileysad:
PS4 Account- dan-s412

We Need A MAG 2 on PS4!!!
Message 4 of 80 (817 Views)
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 19, 2014
Bible Scriptures "INBOUND"
Message 5 of 80 (801 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
330 posts

Jan 19, 2014
U forgot to make your last sentence I
Have a dream :smileysad:
Photobucket___ i like tacos ^_^
Message 6 of 80 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3071 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2014

I feel like typing up a MAG-flavored biblical scripture in response to Slurplazer, but I'm too tired, so you get to use your imagination.

Terrorbob knows what's up.

GRimZzz___Zz____ wrote:

It's already in the title. :smileywink:

H-A-Z-A-R-D-_-V wrote:

I know, and I'm interested in it, but I doubt it'll satisfy the MAG-spot. :smileysad:

From what I've seen, it seems a little Battlefield-y. I just hope it's not imbalanced like Betafield 3 was.

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 7 of 80 (776 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1122 posts

Jan 19, 2014
The part of the "Definitive ediotion"...
Kudos sir, kudos.
Message 8 of 80 (771 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
706 posts

Jan 19, 2014
Ps3 had 8gb and ps4 has 8gb lol (I think). Its the processors combined with the graphics cards that made the difference on ps4.
Message 9 of 80 (757 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
227 posts

Jan 19, 2014

TheLastNinja- wrote:

I feel like typing up a MAG-flavored biblical scripture in response to Slurplazer, but I'm too tired, so you get to use your imagination.

Terrorbob knows what's up.

GRimZzz___Zz____ wrote:

It's already in the title. :smileywink:

H-A-Z-A-R-D-_-V wrote:

I know, and I'm interested in it, but I doubt it'll satisfy the MAG-spot. :smileysad:

From what I've seen, it seems a little Battlefield-y. I just hope it's not imbalanced like Betafield 3 was.

True stroy right there, Planetside 2 can't fill that MAG void.:smileysad:
Message 10 of 80 (749 Views)
0 Likes