make an app on keqonline.com or Message me on PSN/ Steam

VISIT KEQ FORUMS http://forums.keqonline.com/index.php
Message 31 of 80 (612 Views)
Fender Bender
3185 posts

Re: How MAG Could Work on PS4

Jan 23, 2014

TheLastNinja- wrote:

I started thinking about this a while ago. Now that the forums are going to be locked off, I figured I may as well throw the idea out here.

I had recalled that some people were willing to pay for the return of facewraps and balaclavas. I also thought about how even if Sony creates MAG 2, it may not live up to expectations. That's when I thought of another option for getting MAG on PS4.

Port MAG to PS4 and have it be F2P. Ideally, they would give it the "Definitive Edition" treatment. But I'd also be content with higher res textures, locked 60FPS and/or native 1080p. MAG is currently 720p native with an unlocked framerate, and uses 2x MSAA and triple-buffered VSYNC. [Which is why I always found MAG to be more pleasant to my eyes than BF and CoD on PS3.]

All maps and modes would be available free of charge.

Of course, Sony would need to make money from this venture...

Considering how many players are on the same map and the tiny amount of RAM on PS3, MAG actually had a decent amount of variety when it came to customization. All the different skins, voices, armors, camos, weapons, helmets, facial accessories. Electronics and rocket launchers would even show up on your player model if you had them in the correct equip slots. [Electronics in the Heavy Gear slot wouldn't show up on your model.]

Going from PS3's measly amount of RAM to PS4's amount would allow for much more customization. They could even add female skins! Vanity microtransactions would make Sony a decent amount of money. Accessories and helmets. Camos for armor and weapons.

Other microtransactions can include CP boosters, XP boosters, extra character slots, and the ability to transfer a soldier to another PMC without losing progress through Veteran Mode.

They could also utilize the DS4's lightbar and touchpad. The lightbar could be the PMC's color, and/or flash when the FRAGO'd objective is being secured. The touchpad could either be used as a way for squad leaders to mark path waypoints on the CNI map and to FRAGO objectives, or as a Command Ring, like the ones seen in Battlefield and MGO. MAG already has similar commands, but this would expand on those. They could sell additional commands, as MGO did with the Codec Packs.

Weapons and armor could be monetized too, if Sony could get someone to create new models and implement them. They would have to be minor upgrades, like the Heavy+ armor that came with Interdiction and the Tier 2.5 guns from Escalation [Tamsen/Gotha/M31CIR/Rubakho/KP21/etc.]  and/or have some minor drawbacks, like the T1.2 Snipers and LMGs of the Fast Attack and Trooper Packs. They could simply be alt. weapon skins, almost like the T1.2 Snipers and LMGs, or alt. armor models.

The amount of guns in the game could be doubled just by adding Tier x.5 upgrades. For example, the 1.5 sidearm could be a M1911 for Valor, and a T2 could be a revolver. Handguns already have a fairly slow fire rate and pack a punch, so it's not like a revolver would be much more OP. The SKS could be the T1.5 sniper for SVER. The HK G36 could be the T1.5 AR for Raven. The L85A2 could be the T1.5 AR for Valor.

I know new models and features may be dreaming too big, but I'd imagine skins/camo would be a bit more realistic and easier for Sony. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but maybe they could even find a way to use the existing maps for a new mode. The Suppression maps seem like a good fit for CTF.

<<Community Manager edit: Updated the title to be more descriptive to the topic. Awesome post! - mochuuu>>>

I think having MAG as a free to play game on PS4 is an outstanding idea. As far as I am concerned, MAG was the best shooter of last gen. It got mixed reviews when it launched but it evolved over time and really became a great game. Team work and communication were the keys to victory in MAG. The only thing I wish that had done better was to actually make the shadow war matter... meaning when your faction controlled an area of the map, give that faction access to special weapons but then give the opposing faction a buff to make it a bit more challenging to keep controll.

Planetside 2 really reminds me a lot of MAG and is actually a great game. But I would still love to see MAG come

to the PS4. S.V.E.R 4ever!

Message 32 of 80 (606 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49161 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Sounds good to me.   I just wish they weren't shutting off the servers, I had hopes of MAG being part of PSNow.

Message 33 of 80 (600 Views)
Fender Bender
3071 posts

Jan 24, 2014

I'd imagine the delay that comes with PS Now would be annoying for multiplayer games.

Delta_Canuckian wrote:

OP, you basically took what I've said a few times over on the MAG forums and fleshed it out so much more. And I love it. I really do hope Sony at least entertains this idea, it'd be awesome.

Sony would be silly not to! Just look at this: http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/09/04/mag-2/

Amnalehu wrote:

I think having MAG as a free to play game on PS4 is an outstanding idea. As far as I am concerned, MAG was the best shooter of last gen. It got mixed reviews when it launched but it evolved over time and really became a great game. Team work and communication were the keys to victory in MAG. The only thing I wish that had done better was to actually make the shadow war matter... meaning when your faction controlled an area of the map, give that faction access to special weapons but then give the opposing faction a buff to make it a bit more challenging to keep controll.

Planetside 2 really reminds me a lot of MAG and is actually a great game. But I would still love to see MAG come

Agreed, MAG is definitely up there. Can't say I recall what the reviews were like, but I do know it sold a bit over a million, with 2 of those sales coming from me. :smileyhappy:

While the patches added many negative changes, they also added good changes! It would be great if whoever makes the port could consult the MAG community on which changes should be kept and which should be scrapped for the port.

Trioptical wrote:

While I would support a F2P port, I would much rather see a sequel on PS4. Think of all we've learned about 256 player battles since the time MAG was first introduced. There's never been a game like MAG, so, clearly, there were some design choices that, given the chance to make a sequel, I think the developers would go another direction in.

For starters, it seemed that even though there were bonuses for following FRAGOs and sticking with a platoon leader and such, maybe the effects weren't quite clear enough to people who didn't play as much as some of us, so we ended up with a lot of people lone wolfing it.

Wouldn't it be cool if the effects of playing as a squad were really dramatic? And not in the usual, "we can communiate with our teammates, so we're better coordinated" kind of way, but if it was actually part of the game design so that even squads without mics would really have to work together. There are plently of games that let you play solo, why should hypothetical MAG 2 (H-MAG2) have to accomodate for that?

I'd love to see a sequel too, but a properly made sequel is a must. Resistance 3, Killzone 3, and SOCOM 4 killed a lot of my faith in Sony-published sequels. If MAG 2 is made, it shouldn't be watered down and "more accessible" or "try to appeal to a broader audience" or attempt to "lower the complexity threshold".  In addition, Zipper is gone, so finding a worthy dev would be difficult.

Planetside was kinda like MAG from what I hear, in fact, it was part of the inspiration behind MAG! As for making things clearer, there should have been a more in-depth tutorial than the one we got. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "if the effects of playing as a squad were really dramatic" and having it be a part of the game design. MAG already has a lot of tools for teamwork, what did you have in mind?

xTOMMYTROJANx wrote:
Not going to happen. Zipper is dead. Sony is not going to make another mag

I dunno if this is directed at me or at those who want a sequel, but how are you so certain that Sony isn't going to make another MAG? Sony doesn't necessarily need Zipper to make a sequel or do this port. 

They certainly promised a lot with how the Shadow War was going to play out, shame it wasn't more meaningful. :smileysad:

Cavani1007 wrote:
Hey, you... If you haven't a >2kdr, your opinion doesn't count in anything MAG related.
I'm sorry, these are our rules.

It's supposed to be Grims over Hours, yo! :smileywink:

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 34 of 80 (583 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6424 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Amnalehu wrote:

TheLastNinja- wrote:

I started thinking about this a while ago. Now that the forums are going to be locked off, I figured I may as well throw the idea out here.

I had recalled that some people were willing to pay for the return of facewraps and balaclavas. I also thought about how even if Sony creates MAG 2, it may not live up to expectations. That's when I thought of another option for getting MAG on PS4.

Port MAG to PS4 and have it be F2P. Ideally, they would give it the "Definitive Edition" treatment. But I'd also be content with higher res textures, locked 60FPS and/or native 1080p. MAG is currently 720p native with an unlocked framerate, and uses 2x MSAA and triple-buffered VSYNC. [Which is why I always found MAG to be more pleasant to my eyes than BF and CoD on PS3.]

All maps and modes would be available free of charge.

Of course, Sony would need to make money from this venture...

Considering how many players are on the same map and the tiny amount of RAM on PS3, MAG actually had a decent amount of variety when it came to customization. All the different skins, voices, armors, camos, weapons, helmets, facial accessories. Electronics and rocket launchers would even show up on your player model if you had them in the correct equip slots. [Electronics in the Heavy Gear slot wouldn't show up on your model.]

Going from PS3's measly amount of RAM to PS4's amount would allow for much more customization. They could even add female skins! Vanity microtransactions would make Sony a decent amount of money. Accessories and helmets. Camos for armor and weapons.

Other microtransactions can include CP boosters, XP boosters, extra character slots, and the ability to transfer a soldier to another PMC without losing progress through Veteran Mode.

They could also utilize the DS4's lightbar and touchpad. The lightbar could be the PMC's color, and/or flash when the FRAGO'd objective is being secured. The touchpad could either be used as a way for squad leaders to mark path waypoints on the CNI map and to FRAGO objectives, or as a Command Ring, like the ones seen in Battlefield and MGO. MAG already has similar commands, but this would expand on those. They could sell additional commands, as MGO did with the Codec Packs.

Weapons and armor could be monetized too, if Sony could get someone to create new models and implement them. They would have to be minor upgrades, like the Heavy+ armor that came with Interdiction and the Tier 2.5 guns from Escalation [Tamsen/Gotha/M31CIR/Rubakho/KP21/etc.]  and/or have some minor drawbacks, like the T1.2 Snipers and LMGs of the Fast Attack and Trooper Packs. They could simply be alt. weapon skins, almost like the T1.2 Snipers and LMGs, or alt. armor models.

The amount of guns in the game could be doubled just by adding Tier x.5 upgrades. For example, the 1.5 sidearm could be a M1911 for Valor, and a T2 could be a revolver. Handguns already have a fairly slow fire rate and pack a punch, so it's not like a revolver would be much more OP. The SKS could be the T1.5 sniper for SVER. The HK G36 could be the T1.5 AR for Raven. The L85A2 could be the T1.5 AR for Valor.

I know new models and features may be dreaming too big, but I'd imagine skins/camo would be a bit more realistic and easier for Sony. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but maybe they could even find a way to use the existing maps for a new mode. The Suppression maps seem like a good fit for CTF.

<<Community Manager edit: Updated the title to be more descriptive to the topic. Awesome post! - mochuuu>>>

I agree they need to put it on the soe side, but  1st they need a dev team for  mag. i dont know of  a kickstarter would  help get it on the soe side.. Soe need a some hard core gaming bases. I think mag is great fit and can be used to make profit.

WIth ps nw coming out that would make great  game to give for free. It  would draw  the crowd in

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 35 of 80 (574 Views)
Splicer
53 posts

Jan 24, 2014

There's way too much support for this game for Sony to not realize they need to make a sequel, whether they call it Mag 2 or just something completely different.

I guarantee we could start a thread asking if there was another mag who would buy it immediately and the number of people would be in the thousands. There is a cult following backing Mag, with a very loud voice too

Message 36 of 80 (568 Views)
Fender Bender
3071 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2014

MAG is now officially dead on PS3. :smileysad:

Which means Sony needs to hurry up and get MAG going on PS4! 

GUFF1243 wrote:

There's way too much support for this game for Sony to not realize they need to make a sequel, whether they call it Mag 2 or just something completely different.

I guarantee we could start a thread asking if there was another mag who would buy it immediately and the number of people would be in the thousands. There is a cult following backing Mag, with a very loud voice too

We don't need to start a thread to see that, we already have this!

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/09/04/mag-2/

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Amnalehu wrote:

I agree they need to put it on the soe side, but  1st they need a dev team for  mag. i dont know of  a kickstarter would  help get it on the soe side.. Soe need a some hard core gaming bases. I think mag is great fit and can be used to make profit.

WIth ps nw coming out that would make great  game to give for free. It  would draw  the crowd in

I don't think it would be possible to have it on PS Now since the servers are shut down for the PS3 version. If I'm not mistaken, PS Now would be streaming the PS3 version.

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 37 of 80 (519 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Re: How MAG Could Work on PS4 as a Free-to-Play Definitive Edition Port

May 6, 2014
I'd just hope if we ever did get a mag 2 that they wouldn't make it pay to win. Such as dust no paying money to have better guns, armor, or life. I could dig a xp booster like a extra happy hour but it couldn't steal mvp away if your booster gave you points. They should keep it mag style you know like having a redline instead of random spawn. I had a idea the other day that if you healed yourself at the exact time of death you could be rezed up, it would help when you are a random with no back up fighting 10 plus people and it would encourage people to level the medkit up all the way. Besides that I would hope they wouldn't mess with the medkit I liked healing people killed by a granade in .5 seconds.
Message 38 of 80 (301 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

May 6, 2014
O and I miss the double scavenge lol that id pay money for.
Message 39 of 80 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
484 posts

May 6, 2014
It will never happen. Sony is too cheap bring MAG back. They would rather have people play indie crap, than enjoy playing 256 player battles.
Message 40 of 80 (285 Views)