Aug 07 2013
By: supermoc10 Hekseville Citizen 302 posts

How Sony should improve PSN...

16 replies 246 views Edited Aug 7, 2013

Since we'll be paying for online multiplayer now, I think it's safe to say we'll see a lot of improvements. Here are some things I think Sony should do to improve PSN and make downloading games on the Store more viable:

Store Updates: I think the PS Store on PS4 should be updated every Tuesday at midnight.

The Drop: On the PS Blog, there's a weekly series called "The Drop" that informs users of all the new titles coming out that week. I think Sony should do a video version of the Drop and have it featured on the front page of the PS4's UI. That would help a lot in letting people know of lesser known titles.

Pre-Loading: I think that, when the system does the auto-updates, it should automatically download any available pre-ordered game. Those pre-loaded games would unlock at midnight on the release day.

Pre-Purchasing: All PS4 games should be available for pre-purchasing on PS4. It should be available as soon as a release date for the game is announce. There should also be exclusive bonuses to entice people to buy digitally. Example of Bonuses:
-Exclusive Beta Access (Pre-Purchase Uncharted 4 on PSN and get Beta Access)
-DLC Discounts (Pre-Purchase Borderlands 3 and get $5 off the Season Pass)
-Exclusive DLC (Pre-Purchase Assassin's Creed V and get an exclusive Aiden Pierce outfit)
-Free Related Games (Pre-Purchase inFamous: Second Son and get inFamous 1 and 2 for free; Pre-Purchase LittleBigPlanet 3 and get Knack for free)

Gifts: There should be a "Buy for Friend" option when purchasing a game on the PS Store. We should also be able to set a date for a gift to open (Birthday, Christmas, etc.)

Game Packs: We should be able to buy multiple versions of the same game for us and our PSN friends. For example, I should be able to get a "Borderlands 3 4-Player Pack" and be able to gift 3 copies to PSN friends. Game Packs should be discounted. Buying a 4-Game Pack should cost $200-$220 instead of $240.

Discounts: I think that PSN games should get a discount over retail games. It would be cool if, by having PS Plus, you get full games at $50 -$55 instead of $60.

Price Drops: Price Drops should match those of retail stores. For example, there's no reason Ni No Kuni should cost $55 on the Store when I can buy it New at Gamestop for $30. I understand digital games costing $60 at launch but it makes no sense to not drop the prices at the same time stores do it considering the profits go directly to the developer anyway and there's no way to trade-in digital games.

Usernames: For a small fee, we should be able to change our PSN names.

Live-Streaming: We should also have the ability to livestream to TwitchTV as it's much more popular than Ustream.

Trophies: We should be able to hide some games on our trophy lists. All games should have a platinum trophy. They should add a new type of Trophies called "Community Trophies". Those should be time-based trophies that are acquired through the help of all the people playing a game. For example, there could be a Community Trophy in Far Cry 4 for "stealth killing 10000 enemies in 1 week" that players could unlock by contributing to the objective. They'd work like the Weekend Events in Mass Effect 3's MP but on an OS-level. They should have tiers (community gets bronze X number of chickens, silver for Y number of chickens and gold for Z number of chickens). Those shouldn't count towards acquiring a platinum trophy but should instead help towards increasing your trophy level.

Matchmaking: While waiting for games to find matches, we should be able to do other stuff on the system like browse the Store, use the internet browser, etc. The system should notify us when a game is found. Kind of like Smart Match on the X1.

Dedicated Servers: I think Sony should offer developers dedicated servers if they don't have them. We shouldn't have to pay for online and still use p2p.

Gaikai: All games currently on the PS Store should be available through Gaikai. All purchases made on the PS3 Store should carry over. However, Gaikai should be locked behind PS+ to fund the servers. Also, I should also be able to stream all of my PS4 games through Gaikai if I wish to save space on my HDD.

That's all I can think of. How would you improve PSN?

UNCHARTED 4: What needs to be done.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/UNCHARTED-4-What-needs-to-be-done/td-p/41422205
Message 1 of 17 (246 Views)
Lombax Warrior
223 posts

Re: How Sony should improve PSN...

Aug 7, 2013

didn't you already post this?

"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."
Squall Leonhart
Message 2 of 17 (235 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
341 posts

Aug 7, 2013

Actually I dunno for the live streaming it could filter it out more with it being on UStream, though I understand where you're coming from. Think of being on Ustream as a way to start a fresh and be able to get people watching your channel more. Currently on Twitch due to everyone and their grandma streaming from 3 platforms sometimes, some people get burried under the uber popular and the not popular.

Message 3 of 17 (234 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8180 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

supermoc10 wrote:

Since we'll be paying for online multiplayer now, I think it's safe to say we'll see a lot of improvements. Here are some things I think Sony should do to improve PSN and make downloading games on the Store more viable:

Store Updates: I think the PS Store on PS4 should be updated every Tuesday at midnight.

The Drop: On the PS Blog, there's a weekly series called "The Drop" that informs users of all the new titles coming out that week. I think Sony should do a video version of the Drop and have it featured on the front page of the PS4's UI. That would help a lot in letting people know of lesser known titles.

Pre-Loading: I think that, when the system does the auto-updates, it should automatically download any available pre-ordered game. Those pre-loaded games would unlock at midnight on the release day.

Pre-Purchasing: All PS4 games should be available for pre-purchasing on PS4. It should be available as soon as a release date for the game is announce. There should also be exclusive bonuses to entice people to buy digitally. Example of Bonuses:
-Exclusive Beta Access (Pre-Purchase Uncharted 4 on PSN and get Beta Access)
-DLC Discounts (Pre-Purchase Borderlands 3 and get $5 off the Season Pass)
-Exclusive DLC (Pre-Purchase Assassin's Creed V and get an exclusive Aiden Pierce outfit)
-Free Related Games (Pre-Purchase inFamous: Second Son and get inFamous 1 and 2 for free; Pre-Purchase LittleBigPlanet 3 and get Knack for free)

Gifts: There should be a "Buy for Friend" option when purchasing a game on the PS Store. We should also be able to set a date for a gift to open (Birthday, Christmas, etc.)

Game Packs: We should be able to buy multiple versions of the same game for us and our PSN friends. For example, I should be able to get a "Borderlands 3 4-Player Pack" and be able to gift 3 copies to PSN friends. Game Packs should be discounted. Buying a 4-Game Pack should cost $200-$220 instead of $240.

Discounts: I think that PSN games should get a discount over retail games. It would be cool if, by having PS Plus, you get full games at $50 -$55 instead of $60.

Price Drops: Price Drops should match those of retail stores. For example, there's no reason Ni No Kuni should cost $55 on the Store when I can buy it New at Gamestop for $30. I understand digital games costing $60 at launch but it makes no sense to not drop the prices at the same time stores do it considering the profits go directly to the developer anyway and there's no way to trade-in digital games.

Usernames: For a small fee, we should be able to change our PSN names.

Live-Streaming: We should also have the ability to livestream to TwitchTV as it's much more popular than Ustream.

Trophies: We should be able to hide some games on our trophy lists. All games should have a platinum trophy. They should add a new type of Trophies called "Community Trophies". Those should be time-based trophies that are acquired through the help of all the people playing a game. For example, there could be a Community Trophy in Far Cry 4 for "stealth killing 10000 enemies in 1 week" that players could unlock by contributing to the objective. They'd work like the Weekend Events in Mass Effect 3's MP but on an OS-level. They should have tiers (community gets bronze X number of chickens, silver for Y number of chickens and gold for Z number of chickens). Those shouldn't count towards acquiring a platinum trophy but should instead help towards increasing your trophy level.

Matchmaking: While waiting for games to find matches, we should be able to do other stuff on the system like browse the Store, use the internet browser, etc. The system should notify us when a game is found. Kind of like Smart Match on the X1.

Dedicated Servers: I think Sony should offer developers dedicated servers if they don't have them. We shouldn't have to pay for online and still use p2p.

Gaikai: All games currently on the PS Store should be available through Gaikai. All purchases made on the PS3 Store should carry over. However, Gaikai should be locked behind PS+ to fund the servers. Also, I should also be able to stream all of my PS4 games through Gaikai if I wish to save space on my HDD.

That's all I can think of. How would you improve PSN?

5$ This thread will get past 100 posts and filled with walls of text.

There is no need for that. If there is nothing new there is no need to update it.

Why pay money to make something where it can be on the internet for FREE?

I will give you props on this, but there is already gonna be a feature where you can play and download at the same time.

Even though I love going digital I disagree.

Buy them a disk.

Same thing as the one above. Buy multiple disks. The price will be the same.

Sony does not make the discounts for retailers. 

You have to remember that Gamestop sells like 90% of their games used. That is the reason their prices are much lower.

NO. You will be able to use your real name. Get creative.

Does it really matter what you livestream on? If you have a audiance it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Trophies are up to the devs. Not all games should have a plat trophy.

Really no point to that in my opinion. All that will do is use up RAM and make everything slow. 

Makes no sense. 

I am getting mixed vibes about this. I know that alot/most of the PS3 games will be able to be streamed, but I don't know about the PS4 games. I don't think anybody does.

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 4 of 17 (226 Views)
PlayStation MVP
26170 posts

Aug 7, 2013

How would I improve PSN? By not listening to user suggestions.

I at least hope you copy and pasted this, instead of typing it out again.

Making the same topic over and over doesn't get you recognized. It gets you a spam warning.

At least post it to the Blog Share.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

Message 5 of 17 (222 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
302 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Making the same topic over and over doesn't get you recognized. It gets you a spam warning.

Yeah, god forbid users have good suggestions. Those little things like Trophies, Day 1 digital, free full games on PS Plus, PSN Play, etc. Those were all awful ideas amirite.

Not my fault a bunch of topics got deleted in the forum maintenance. Are you a mod or something? Because I'd hope someone like you would've noticed that.

Blog Share has been dead for almost year, in case you didn't notice by the dates of the most recent ideas.

UNCHARTED 4: What needs to be done.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/UNCHARTED-4-What-needs-to-be-done/td-p/41422205
Message 6 of 17 (210 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8180 posts

Aug 7, 2013

supermoc10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Yeah, god forbid users have good suggestions. Those little things like Trophies, Day 1 digital, free full games on PS Plus, PSN Play, etc. Those were all awful ideas amirite.

Not my fault a bunch of topics got deleted in the forum maintenance. Are you a mod or something? Because I'd hope someone like you would've noticed that.

Blog Share has been dead for almost year, in case you didn't notice by the dates of the most recent ideas.

Some respect would be nice. He is the closest thing anybody here will get to being a mod.

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 7 of 17 (205 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3135 posts

Aug 7, 2013
I wouldn't be able to really say what could help prove the PSN until the PS4 comes out. But I think because of how powerful and amount of Ram the PSN will seem alot better.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 8 of 17 (202 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16060 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2013

supermoc10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Because posting them on the forum is going to help?

He gave you a link to post it on the Blog Share where people can vote on it..... If it gets enough votes, Sony will probably implement it.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 9 of 17 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Aug 8, 2013
they should look at forum feed back on the service to improve it
Message 10 of 17 (164 Views)
0 Likes