Re: How Sony should improve PSN...

Aug 8, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 17 (183 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Aug 8, 2013

I think its getting a bit better over time. I have hopes for the future..

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 17 (178 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Aug 8, 2013

supermoc10 wrote:

Since we'll be paying for online multiplayer now, I think it's safe to say we'll see a lot of improvements. Here are some things I think Sony should do to improve PSN and make downloading games on the Store more viable:

Store Updates: I think the PS Store on PS4 should be updated every Tuesday at midnight.
The Store is already updated every Tuesday in North America.... Why would it matter if its updated at midnight or otherwise? Any sales or new games they will have aren't going anywhere.... as for sales, you have at least 7 days before the sale is lifted. Sometimes sales last longer than a week.

The Drop: On the PS Blog, there's a weekly series called "The Drop" that informs users of all the new titles coming out that week. I think Sony should do a video version of the Drop and have it featured on the front page of the PS4's UI. That would help a lot in letting people know of lesser known titles.
Thats something I don't care for, but a decent idea for some.

Pre-Loading: I think that, when the system does the auto-updates, it should automatically download any available pre-ordered game. Those pre-loaded games would unlock at midnight on the release day.
That is only on the basis that the games already exist on the Store servers BEFORE its launch day. Such a thing would be at the decision of the publisher/developer.

Pre-Purchasing: All PS4 games should be available for pre-purchasing on PS4. It should be available as soon as a release date for the game is announce. There should also be exclusive bonuses to entice people to buy digitally. Example of Bonuses:
-Exclusive Beta Access (Pre-Purchase Uncharted 4 on PSN and get Beta Access)
-DLC Discounts (Pre-Purchase Borderlands 3 and get $5 off the Season Pass)
-Exclusive DLC (Pre-Purchase Assassin's Creed V and get an exclusive Aiden Pierce outfit)
-Free Related Games (Pre-Purchase inFamous: Second Son and get inFamous 1 and 2 for free; Pre-Purchase LittleBigPlanet 3 and get Knack for free)
Pre-Purchase? No. This is something that would skew sales numbers to the Nth degree. I'm ok with sales of such games only to those who are subscribers to Plus. Remember.... the games that would be offered for free, would have to be cleared by the developer.... There was an interview done by several devs who put their games on Plus for free, and they said while it was good for them, in the long run, they lose money ANYWAY regardless of a higher visibility. 

Gifts: There should be a "Buy for Friend" option when purchasing a game on the PS Store. We should also be able to set a date for a gift to open (Birthday, Christmas, etc.)

I'm Okay with that.

Game Packs: We should be able to buy multiple versions of the same game for us and our PSN friends. For example, I should be able to get a "Borderlands 3 4-Player Pack" and be able to gift 3 copies to PSN friends. Game Packs should be discounted. Buying a 4-Game Pack should cost $200-$220 instead of $240.
I don't know of any person who is willing to plink down $200+ to buy 4 copies of a game for anyone... what if those people don't like the game? Thats YOUR MONEY wasted. What if the game is simply terrible? Again... money wasted. When it comes to electronic good.... pretty much ALL sales are final and not subject to returns/refunds.

Discounts: I think that PSN games should get a discount over retail games. It would be cool if, by having PS Plus, you get full games at $50 -$55 instead of $60.

We've been through this before.... If Sony did that, Sony would be in DIRECT competition with retail stores that sell the games at full cost. This would inevitably prompt retailers to outright stop selling any game for a Sony product.
If you're basing this on Steam's model.... guess what.... many retailers do not carry PC games on their shelves anymore because of Steam. My local Toys R Us and some other retailer did price matching, people would print the Steam page and bring to the store to avoid paying $40+ for a physical copy, they would just pay $10 or $20..... this is lost money for the retailer because they had already paid a set price for the units and now they have to match the price that is listed elsewhere.... And if local stores do still carry PC games, they don't carry a lot of them. Which means they will sell out rather quickly, and not every store does pre-orders or reserves etc etc....

Price Drops: Price Drops should match those of retail stores. For example, there's no reason Ni No Kuni should cost $55 on the Store when I can buy it New at Gamestop for $30. I understand digital games costing $60 at launch but it makes no sense to not drop the prices at the same time stores do it considering the profits go directly to the developer anyway and there's no way to trade-in digital games.

No, profits don't directly go to the developer..... the publisher gets all of the money and from whatever contract they have with the developer, they get a certain percentage of sales. Most large developers operate from a budget that a publisher sets for them and the amount they get back is dependent usually on the success of the game with a certain time period. Especially when its listed o Sony's servers... Sony has to get a cut from sales as well. 
Usually, when a retail store discounts items on their inventory, its because they want to get rid of them as soon as possible to make room for new products.... this means that regardless, the store is losing money because they have already paid a specific amount in wholesale volume from a distributor. And discounted items are at the discretion of the individual store itself often-times.... I used to work for K-Mart years ago... one day, I was cleaning up "the back" where all the extra items are stored, and found an unopened copy of an N64 game... I asked my boss about it and he said that its still in their system at a price of $89.99, I had no choice but to put it on glass case with the other games with that price tag....  It was a 10 year old game by then. But guess what? Someone bought it because it was no longer in the inventory system. 

Usernames: For a small fee, we should be able to change our PSN names.

This I don't care for.... I can already imagine the many novelty accounts..... and lets not mention the fact that when you do such a thing, no one knows who you are.

Live-Streaming: We should also have the ability to livestream to TwitchTV as it's much more popular than Ustream.

More popular based on what? "Popular opinion" ? Why does it matter who/what you are using to live stream? If you have an audience, they will follow you wherever you are.

Trophies: We should be able to hide some games on our trophy lists. All games should have a platinum trophy. They should add a new type of Trophies called "Community Trophies". Those should be time-based trophies that are acquired through the help of all the people playing a game. For example, there could be a Community Trophy in Far Cry 4 for "stealth killing 10000 enemies in 1 week" that players could unlock by contributing to the objective. They'd work like the Weekend Events in Mass Effect 3's MP but on an OS-level. They should have tiers (community gets bronze X number of chickens, silver for Y number of chickens and gold for Z number of chickens). Those shouldn't count towards acquiring a platinum trophy but should instead help towards increasing your trophy level.

No. Hell No. Its bad enough that there are people who want to play older games that they didn't have an opportunity to play when they first came out and cannot get online trophies because the online community is next to zero.  As someone who cannot get Platinum trophies for Max Payne 3, Killzone 2 and 3 etc etc... because of online trophies.... NO. 
I hate online trophies as it is, now you want to make me hate getting trophies at all? Get out.

Matchmaking: While waiting for games to find matches, we should be able to do other stuff on the system like browse the Store, use the internet browser, etc. The system should notify us when a game is found. Kind of like Smart Match on the X1.

Pretty sure something like that is already implemented.... 

Dedicated Servers: I think Sony should offer developers dedicated servers if they don't have them. We shouldn't have to pay for online and still use p2p.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Gaikai: All games currently on the PS Store should be available through Gaikai. All purchases made on the PS3 Store should carry over. However, Gaikai should be locked behind PS+ to fund the servers. Also, I should also be able to stream all of my PS4 games through Gaikai if I wish to save space on my HDD.

From what Sony has stated about Gaikai, it will be used for legacy games and it will be a SLOW roll out. Especially because of new licensing agreements that have to be made and such... especially old PS1 and PS2 games from developers/publishers that no longer exist. 
If you want to save space on your hdd.... delete games/content that you hardly ever, or never use.... then re-download them if you want to get back into playing them... or you can upgrade your hdd... I mean... come on... hdd's are cheap.

That's all I can think of. How would you improve PSN?

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 17 (169 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
302 posts

Aug 28, 2013
Dedicated servers confirmed?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/How-OpenStack-will-power-Sony-s-Online-Ga...
UNCHARTED 4: What needs to be done.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/UNCHARTED-4-What-needs-to-be-done/td-p/41422205
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 17 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13264 posts

Aug 28, 2013

All I want is no more maintenence every few weeks...

I'd pay for that.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 17 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
332 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

supermoc10 wrote:

Since we'll be paying for online multiplayer now, I think it's safe to say we'll see a lot of improvements. Here are some things I think Sony should do to improve PSN and make downloading games on the Store more viable:

Store Updates: I think the PS Store on PS4 should be updated every Tuesday at midnight.
The Store is already updated every Tuesday in North America.... Why would it matter if its updated at midnight or otherwise? Any sales or new games they will have aren't going anywhere.... as for sales, you have at least 7 days before the sale is lifted. Sometimes sales last longer than a week.

The Drop: On the PS Blog, there's a weekly series called "The Drop" that informs users of all the new titles coming out that week. I think Sony should do a video version of the Drop and have it featured on the front page of the PS4's UI. That would help a lot in letting people know of lesser known titles.
Thats something I don't care for, but a decent idea for some.

Pre-Loading: I think that, when the system does the auto-updates, it should automatically download any available pre-ordered game. Those pre-loaded games would unlock at midnight on the release day.
That is only on the basis that the games already exist on the Store servers BEFORE its launch day. Such a thing would be at the decision of the publisher/developer.

Pre-Purchasing: All PS4 games should be available for pre-purchasing on PS4. It should be available as soon as a release date for the game is announce. There should also be exclusive bonuses to entice people to buy digitally. Example of Bonuses:
-Exclusive Beta Access (Pre-Purchase Uncharted 4 on PSN and get Beta Access)
-DLC Discounts (Pre-Purchase Borderlands 3 and get $5 off the Season Pass)
-Exclusive DLC (Pre-Purchase Assassin's Creed V and get an exclusive Aiden Pierce outfit)
-Free Related Games (Pre-Purchase inFamous: Second Son and get inFamous 1 and 2 for free; Pre-Purchase LittleBigPlanet 3 and get Knack for free)
Pre-Purchase? No. This is something that would skew sales numbers to the Nth degree. I'm ok with sales of such games only to those who are subscribers to Plus. Remember.... the games that would be offered for free, would have to be cleared by the developer.... There was an interview done by several devs who put their games on Plus for free, and they said while it was good for them, in the long run, they lose money ANYWAY regardless of a higher visibility. 

Gifts: There should be a "Buy for Friend" option when purchasing a game on the PS Store. We should also be able to set a date for a gift to open (Birthday, Christmas, etc.)

I'm Okay with that.

Game Packs: We should be able to buy multiple versions of the same game for us and our PSN friends. For example, I should be able to get a "Borderlands 3 4-Player Pack" and be able to gift 3 copies to PSN friends. Game Packs should be discounted. Buying a 4-Game Pack should cost $200-$220 instead of $240.
I don't know of any person who is willing to plink down $200+ to buy 4 copies of a game for anyone... what if those people don't like the game? Thats YOUR MONEY wasted. What if the game is simply terrible? Again... money wasted. When it comes to electronic good.... pretty much ALL sales are final and not subject to returns/refunds.

Discounts: I think that PSN games should get a discount over retail games. It would be cool if, by having PS Plus, you get full games at $50 -$55 instead of $60.

We've been through this before.... If Sony did that, Sony would be in DIRECT competition with retail stores that sell the games at full cost. This would inevitably prompt retailers to outright stop selling any game for a Sony product.
If you're basing this on Steam's model.... guess what.... many retailers do not carry PC games on their shelves anymore because of Steam. My local Toys R Us and some other retailer did price matching, people would print the Steam page and bring to the store to avoid paying $40+ for a physical copy, they would just pay $10 or $20..... this is lost money for the retailer because they had already paid a set price for the units and now they have to match the price that is listed elsewhere.... And if local stores do still carry PC games, they don't carry a lot of them. Which means they will sell out rather quickly, and not every store does pre-orders or reserves etc etc....

Price Drops: Price Drops should match those of retail stores. For example, there's no reason Ni No Kuni should cost $55 on the Store when I can buy it New at Gamestop for $30. I understand digital games costing $60 at launch but it makes no sense to not drop the prices at the same time stores do it considering the profits go directly to the developer anyway and there's no way to trade-in digital games.

No, profits don't directly go to the developer..... the publisher gets all of the money and from whatever contract they have with the developer, they get a certain percentage of sales. Most large developers operate from a budget that a publisher sets for them and the amount they get back is dependent usually on the success of the game with a certain time period. Especially when its listed o Sony's servers... Sony has to get a cut from sales as well. 
Usually, when a retail store discounts items on their inventory, its because they want to get rid of them as soon as possible to make room for new products.... this means that regardless, the store is losing money because they have already paid a specific amount in wholesale volume from a distributor. And discounted items are at the discretion of the individual store itself often-times.... I used to work for K-Mart years ago... one day, I was cleaning up "the back" where all the extra items are stored, and found an unopened copy of an N64 game... I asked my boss about it and he said that its still in their system at a price of $89.99, I had no choice but to put it on glass case with the other games with that price tag....  It was a 10 year old game by then. But guess what? Someone bought it because it was no longer in the inventory system. 

Usernames: For a small fee, we should be able to change our PSN names.

This I don't care for.... I can already imagine the many novelty accounts..... and lets not mention the fact that when you do such a thing, no one knows who you are.

Live-Streaming: We should also have the ability to livestream to TwitchTV as it's much more popular than Ustream.

More popular based on what? "Popular opinion" ? Why does it matter who/what you are using to live stream? If you have an audience, they will follow you wherever you are.

Trophies: We should be able to hide some games on our trophy lists. All games should have a platinum trophy. They should add a new type of Trophies called "Community Trophies". Those should be time-based trophies that are acquired through the help of all the people playing a game. For example, there could be a Community Trophy in Far Cry 4 for "stealth killing 10000 enemies in 1 week" that players could unlock by contributing to the objective. They'd work like the Weekend Events in Mass Effect 3's MP but on an OS-level. They should have tiers (community gets bronze X number of chickens, silver for Y number of chickens and gold for Z number of chickens). Those shouldn't count towards acquiring a platinum trophy but should instead help towards increasing your trophy level.

No. Hell No. Its bad enough that there are people who want to play older games that they didn't have an opportunity to play when they first came out and cannot get online trophies because the online community is next to zero.  As someone who cannot get Platinum trophies for Max Payne 3, Killzone 2 and 3 etc etc... because of online trophies.... NO. 
I hate online trophies as it is, now you want to make me hate getting trophies at all? Get out.

Matchmaking: While waiting for games to find matches, we should be able to do other stuff on the system like browse the Store, use the internet browser, etc. The system should notify us when a game is found. Kind of like Smart Match on the X1.

Pretty sure something like that is already implemented.... 

Dedicated Servers: I think Sony should offer developers dedicated servers if they don't have them. We shouldn't have to pay for online and still use p2p.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Gaikai: All games currently on the PS Store should be available through Gaikai. All purchases made on the PS3 Store should carry over. However, Gaikai should be locked behind PS+ to fund the servers. Also, I should also be able to stream all of my PS4 games through Gaikai if I wish to save space on my HDD.

From what Sony has stated about Gaikai, it will be used for legacy games and it will be a SLOW roll out. Especially because of new licensing agreements that have to be made and such... especially old PS1 and PS2 games from developers/publishers that no longer exist. 
If you want to save space on your hdd.... delete games/content that you hardly ever, or never use.... then re-download them if you want to get back into playing them... or you can upgrade your hdd... I mean... come on... hdd's are cheap.

That's all I can think of. How would you improve PSN?

"

I hate online trophies as it is, now you want to make me hate getting trophies at all? Get out."

NO NO NO NO NO.  Online trophies (unless they are extremely easy:  play 1 game of multiplayer) should not exist!  It makes getting the platinum trophies impossible if you don't do it as soon as the game comes out.  Sometimes you even have to boost to get some of these trophies!  Offline (Single player trophies) are the only ones that should exist in games.  If it's a online game like EQ Next, MAG, etc...  Make the trophies reasonable (get to level 10, 20, 30, 40, 50(max)), kill 100 people, join a group, join a clan, win a game etc.  Not:  prestige to level 100 ten times, kill someone while they are jumping in the air with the 9mm Black Pistol (it has to be the 9mm pistol, black, (not silver), etc...  Those trophies are ridiculous!

I do think all PS4 games that come out in the retail store should be available for Pre-order on PSN with the same in-store perks.  They should also be available at midnight.  If you pre-ordered the game it should start downloading at midnight (assuming the system is in standby mode).

Pay to change PSN name:  YES YES YES!

Should digital games be cheaper?  I don't care because I will most likely by the game at full price when it comes out anyways.  I don't trade in my games either.  As long as I am able to download the game and play the game for as long as I live, I don't care!  If the online server get shutdown then that's a different story but I should still be able to download the entire game and play the single player (offline wouldn't be available due to no servers).  Also another reason why online trophies shouldn't exist.

Edit: As this thread has been necrobumped, it will now be locked. Feel free to discuss PS4 and PSN improvements here: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PS4-Update-Wishlist/td-p/42442285

- Hot-Shocolate

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 17 (100 Views)
0 Likes