Mar 26 2011
By: DTREJO91 First Son 29 posts

How To Fix Your PS3 YLOD PERMANENTLY!

12 replies 41516 views Edited Mar 26, 2011

This is for anyone looking for a solution to the PS3 YLOD

Well as many of you may be interested in fixing your YLOD PS3 there are many solutions out there. The smartest one is NOT TO SEND IT TO SONY they should be held responsible for this problem not us. I shouldnt have to pay them for something they made wrong. Your best solution is to get it Re-Balled Well, with me it all started 6 days ago when my PS3 launch system got the YLOD. It was 5 years old but still I expected it to last 10 the way I took care of it kept it in a cool place, cleaned the fans out ect ect all the things Sony said to do yet it still happened. But when it happened I was devastated and lost I didn't know what to do buy a slim repair it with Sony or have a 3rd party look in to it. After much extensive research I came to the conclusion that the "fat" PS3 60 GB is not worth letting go since I paid 500+ for it and I didn't want to lose any information or have someone else system as well as lose the background compatibility. So I looked in the Internet as many of you have as well and found 3 really good company/people. These were the big 3

Endless Electronics LLC            http://www.endlesselectronics.org/_/Home.html

Gophermods                             http://www.gophermods.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=425

Khaled0710                               http://www.ioffer.com/offer_transactions/show/15758004

I  research them all and they ALL had magnificent feedback, but I didn't want to send my PS3 out  of state I was afraid of it being lost paying so much for shipping and handling taking a long time for them to get it and come back. So I called all 3 and it turns out that khaled on ioffer.com was around my area so I decided to go with khaled0710. I paid 120 and saved myself the shipping and handling since I took it to him myself. When I arrive I khaled0710 was nice enough to take me on a tour of his equipment and the process by which the PS3 is fixed. He even had a few slim system that needed repair I was so glad that I didn't go out and buy one since he told me personally that the slims don't match in comparison to the "fat" models, "they break down faster and last less". I left knowing that my PS3 was in REALLY good hands of a true professional. It only took him about 24 hours to get it all done and I received one year warranty and I knew that my PS3 would last me double the life of a new system. I kept all of my information all of my account things all my download that were transpiring while it broke. This all transpired in about 6 days from breaking, doing research, and finally getting it fixed.

I write this so that those that have many questions on what to do may be helped by reading this. I may not have all the answers but I have information for those looking to fix there PS3's YLOD. Hit me up ill be glad to help.

dtrejo91

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (41,516 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: How To Fix Your PS3 YLOD PERMANENTLY!

Apr 13, 2011

Wanted to know an update on your issue. Is your PS3 working now? Any other problems?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (41,516 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Apr 13, 2011

Wow, you blast sony because your expect your ps3 to last 10 years. Sorry but products have a short lifecycle and its grate your lasted 5 years, but over times things break, I had vcr's only last 3 years, computers lasting 3-4 years before they needed replacement parts or a choice to totaly replacement due to outdated specs. Just understand that your ps3 is not ment to last forever and in time things break and they get replaced, just like a fridge, or a stove or tv, or car or even a house.

Just be glad you had your ps3 for 5 good years and just remember your ps3 getting the ylod doesnt mean its sonys fault, it means your ps3 got some sort of hardware failure that eventuly happens. You took the steps on looking for ways of repairs and options becides getting a repair from sony, but you really should not blame sony for your ps3 dieing. Its like you blame the car company that made your car every time a part breaks and then you complain that you will never get the car repaired at the dealership.

Just tak this as a simple product that has run its course and you now have to get it repaired and how it works after it gets back from what ever shop you sent it to.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (41,517 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Apr 13, 2011

Naquiel wrote:

Wow, you blast sony because your expect your ps3 to last 10 years. Sorry but products have a short lifecycle and its grate your lasted 5 years, but over times things break, I had vcr's only last 3 years, computers lasting 3-4 years before they needed replacement parts or a choice to totaly replacement due to outdated specs. Just understand that your ps3 is not ment to last forever and in time things break and they get replaced, just like a fridge, or a stove or tv, or car or even a house.

Just be glad you had your ps3 for 5 good years and just remember your ps3 getting the ylod doesnt mean its sonys fault, it means your ps3 got some sort of hardware failure that eventuly happens. You took the steps on looking for ways of repairs and options becides getting a repair from sony, but you really should not blame sony for your ps3 dieing. Its like you blame the car company that made your car every time a part breaks and then you complain that you will never get the car repaired at the dealership.

Just tak this as a simple product that has run its course and you now have to get it repaired and how it works after it gets back from what ever shop you sent it to.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.

Sony is only responsible that the PS3 lasts during its warranty period (1 year). But IMO if something were to break, I would expect it be something with moving parts (the Blu-Ray drive).

Most issues regarding YLOD most likely has to do with the ceramic based thermal paste Sony has been using on the PS3, it can dry out after a couple of years causing the PS3 to overheat. This issue could have been avoided if Sony used a better quality paste, but people that know about this potential issue have the opportunity to change out the thermal paste themselves and possibly extend the life of their PS3...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (41,517 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Apr 13, 2011

From what I understand Gophermods is having problems doing their reball repairs in an efficient manner, you have to email them first before you even place an order. Because of that I think folks will have better service and results from the other two options the OP has listed...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (41,517 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 14, 2011

I appreciate the insight Logical Dolphin.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (41,517 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Apr 27, 2011

Hi DT.... (whatever your tag is).

Don't fret.  Just take it to a suitable repairer.  When my Blue Ray drive died I googled "PS3 Repair" + my hometown and got several candidates. All were priced around the same and all were reasonable.  I then used Google Earth to scope out the parking availability as I didn't want to have to haul the PS3 too far.

Here's one I used - see the long empty road. The road actaully was empty when I needed to park and carry my PS3 to the large white building at the south eastern end of the road

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.467227,-2.5733074&z=19&t=h&hl=en

I now have the YLOD too in almost identical circumstances as you.  I've got the 60gig too.  Had it since November 2007 I think. I don't want to part with it not only because of the backwards compatibility but also for the SACD playback. I intend to take my PS3 to the same place that fixed my BlueRay drive.

I know this won't be any good for you as you are in the states, but I attach my repairer's price list so that you can see what they can do for sick PS3s.  You are bound to be able to find somewhere similar near you.

http://www.appleservice.co.uk/price_list.htm

It's amazing what science can do these days, isn't it? 

Ponce in Royal David's City
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (41,517 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Apr 29, 2011

I tried the stupid heat gun / reflow trick on the factory-regurgitated 20GB PS3 Sony gave me, and it worked great for about a month, but then it went YLOD on me again earlier this week. I did the reflow one last time to back up my data and I was planning on selling it for parts and buying a Slim, but if what you say is true then the Slim might not be such an improvement after all-- not to mention that I'll have to drop quite a bit more cash down the hole, and lose my much-cherished PS2 compatibility (as well as the nice shiny finish).

Some of these professional third party reballing services look very promising, and using high quality lead solder sounds like a much more permanent solution than just reflowing the crappy tin solder that Sony uses. I will certainly look into these services since they are not only much cheaper than Sony's, but also have a more permanent solution to the problem.

I just hope I don't find out I permanently damaged my temp sensors with my half-assed youtube "reflow" and have to replace the GPU. Last I tested my PS3 it felt like it was getting quite hot and didn't seem to expell that much air, but then again maybe the noisiness of my room mates' Xbox 360 has desensitized me to the sound of the PS3's fans. Should I assume the worst and get the GPU replaced as a precaution, or should I wait until the professionals have had a look at it? I feel like a total fool for assuming something as barbaric as blasting a giant hairdryer at my PS3 could be good for it, but it just goes to show-- don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (41,517 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 29, 2012

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (38,400 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 29, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (38,398 Views)
0 Likes