Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
8277 posts

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

,Aleman wrote:
meh, ever since Xbox 1, memory cards seem sooo obsolete.

Ya we get it, Xbox is better.

Mission accomplished.  Here is your medal of Honor.

Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12042 posts

Jun 10, 2005

Llama Herder wrote:

Aleman wrote:
meh, ever since Xbox 1, memory cards seem sooo obsolete.

Ya we get it, Xbox is better.

Mission accomplished.  Here is your medal of Honor.

Memory,cards obsolete. Why dont we just start asking Console makers to give us,full blown PCs. Anyway even to alot of xbox owners memory cards are far,from obsolete. Quite a few still need memory cards to tote around save,files to friends to have all the goodies when playing multi player,games etc. Now of course there is the removable hdd in hte 360 wich is,claimed to be made to take with you but I have to question not only the,safety in toting it around but its size and weigtht...  Memory,cards will always serve a conveniant and great way to transport medi,,game saves etc. Be it a Memory Card, USB stick or whatever they come up,with cards will be a good soure for transporting data... So in some,cases memory cards are just starting to take off...
Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7924 posts

Jun 11, 2005

Steppy76 wrote:

Llama Herder wrote:

Steppy76 wrote:

Llama Herder wrote:

sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

Llama Herder wrote:

iLoveBoth wrote:

But,as I said, HD DVD is hitting the market first, with nearly the same,storage capacity, and for a cheaper price. Plus, since its the holiday,season many people will be buying those kind of things for their,husbands and dads. So, as PS3 may boost sells, HD DVD is going to have,the upper hand with all its features and cheaper price.

Not really.  People will have to spend $1000 on a HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD.  I think most people would buy a PS3 and go with Blu-Ray instead.

Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray,to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI,output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model,number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

• HD-DVD player
  • HDMI output
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD

The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

And,thats the reason we arent seeing HD-DVD in next gen. Microsoft even,steered away from a sure hit because HD-DVD is too new and expensive.,And of course Sony has stayed away because its been off developing the,cell and Blue Ray technology... But given the fact that HD-DVD is so,new its at the top of the Price Chain its far from realistic not only,because its new but because of the price that comes with a new format,like itself. At some point the forgotten Laserdisc was this costly and,DVD was about $1,000 as well when it was first introduced...  And,having Blue Ray in PS3 will help boost production of it and put it far,more homes than even HD-DVD will be in within the next 3 years....

Ya,,no one is gonna spend hundres or thousands of dollars just to watch,HD-DVD movies.  But everyone who buys a PS3 will have a Blu-Ray,player.  So in the end Blu-Ray will be more popular compared to,HD-DVD.

Except for the,fact that a company can either use their existing product lines to make,HD-DVD movies or revamp their entire lines at a large cost to make blu,ray movies.  The latter isn't exactly attractive to anyone BUT,sony.  Also, much of the technology involved in making a high,def movie disc player is the exact same as CD and DVD players. ,The price will drop DRAMATICALLY in a very short period of time. ,CD players were over a grand when they came out and stayed very,expensive for years.  DVD players were over a grand and dropped to,300 bucks in less than a year because much of the tech had been refined,for CD players for years already.  HD-DVD players will follow the,same path, and I'll bet they're cheaper than a PS3 by the time it,debuts in the US.  The first shots fired in this war already,indicate support is leaning towards HD-DVD as the first HD movies,coming out are coming out for it EXCLUSIVELY.  Sony could win the,war, but based on their past history of formats I wouldn't bet one,penny on it.

Consumers > all. 

According to Toshiba, HD-DVD player will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.  PS3 is coming in spring 2005.

Do,you think consumers are gonna spend $1,000 on a HD-DVD player instead,of spending $300-$400 on a PS3 that includes a Blu-Ray player?

If,there aren't any bluray movies on the market, some will(the same people,who spent 1000 bucks on a progressive scan DVD player a few years ago),,and the price will NOT be that high for long and expect stand alone blu,ray players to be every bit as expensive.  Also, I said HD-DVD,players would be cheaper by the time PS3 hits the US(which I guarantee,won't be spring ...even though they should)...sony always caters to,their home market first, and there is no indication of them changing,their past practices as they've so far repeated every other,practice. 

BTW, HD-DVD is late 2005, as in the end of this year, the PS3 is launching in 2006. 

Message Edited by Steppy76 on 06-09-2005 11:13 PM

That,is a true statement, but think about it this way. The HDD player is,going to cost around $1000 at the time of it's release, and the PS3 is,going to be released 5 or 6 months after the release of the HDD player.,Considering that PS3 has world wide popularity, it's almost definite,that Sony will be able to sell as many PS3s in the coming months as,much as an HD DVD. Assuming that the Blu-Ray movies will be released,around the time of the PS3, it's possible for Blu-Ray to gain the,upperhand in the race, not because of the disk format, but because of,the large fan base. Also, I highly doubt that the HD DVD player will,drop from $1000 to less than $300 in six months. For something like,that to happen to a product as relatively new as the HD DVD player is,probably unlikely (at least in that amount of time).
Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4144 posts

Jun 11, 2005
I don't really care for it initailly but I hope they do release one soon after PS3's release.,
Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6735 posts

Jun 11, 2005
Don't really matter if it comes with hdd or not, you'll be paying for it either way..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
546 posts

Jun 11, 2005
I'm just as happy being able to use my own HDD, but if they included a nice one without too much of an extra cost to the buyer (Hard drives are not that expensive to produce, anyways...) it would be nice of them.
Member of the Gamer Advisory Panel since 11/05/2004

------------------------------------

SOCOM and SOCOM 3 Beta: Solidfire
Monster Hunter: Aaralyn
Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes