Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/02/2004
Offline
3165 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Adirondack1 wrote:

,
,
,Loving Live wrote:
,
I did but only for two reasons, Patches and DLC. I know that Forza has some issues and patches have already been released, but GT4 problems can't be fixed. I was hoping the PS3 would allow some of these features

,
,



I could really care less I can afford to buy it either way.
If I need the HD I will buy it. No big deal.

What problems with GT4?
I have it and haven't seen any problems or the need for patches.
I play it at 1080i and I am 57% of the way done.
,
,

,
Exactly !!! IF I NEED THE HD I WILL BUY IT
_________________________________________________________________A Mastermind sees it coming before it comes
Message 41 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 03/20/2003
Offline
12042 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005


Aleman wrote:

Ero Senin wrote:

sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

PS2NATION wrote:

Loving Live wrote:
I,did but only for two reasons, Patches and DLC. I know that Forza has,some issues and patches have already been released, but GT4 problems,can't be fixed. I was hoping the PS3 would allow some of these features


I,care but sony seems to like to take extra money all the time for add,ons,  so i'll probably skip a ps3 purchase and get the 360.

Consider,this. Take the whole system with all its technology and keep the hdd in,it. Do you seriously think that they could offer it a competitive or,reasonable price? Personally Id love to see the hdd equiped but,realistically aside from patches for online play, content downloads,,custom soundtracks the Industry really ustilize the hdd or is really,ready for one anyway. Now I know you can say well you can save games on,it to. Still need a memory card though. Now 360 has removable hdd wich,you can take with you but question not only transport but size, wieght,and the protection it will have while transporting it etc. But,sometimes its not about making extra money. Sometimes its about being,able to offer a great console at a competitive and reasonable price to,all consumers. Now granted peripherals are the way to make thier money,back on consoles but in this case I really dont feel the hdd could be,included for a fair price. And as long as PS3 periphrals dont jump in,price to what MS charges for its peripherals then Im all for spending,another $50-100 bucks for an hdd if there is enough ways to use it. But,wether or not there is an hdd is no reason not get one console and to,get another. Especially when the use of the hdd is limited in the,industry. Hdd or not Im in it for the games and coming from Sony you,know the PS3 is going to have an abundance of games and if MS,follows its xbox software lineup then sadly enough the 360 will be so,limited in games you'll find yourself bored all too often. Anyway,point at hand is currently MS overcharges on peripherals to make up for,the margian of loss on its xobxs and will likely do the same next gen.,Where as at least offical PS products are sold at a more,reasonable/cheaper price. So actually you cant say that Sony seems to,like to take extra money because all console makers make the extra cash,somewhere be it the controllers and peripherals in exchange for the hdd,or selling a hdd, controllers and peripherals for more reasonalbe price,but keeping the console competitivly priced.......

100% Agreed

without a HDD the ps3 price will be at least 330-350 and you can buy the hdd apart with the linux incluided

I,love how you guys keep saying the X360 will be limited in good,games.  Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not,good games.  X360 has lots of third party support and plenty of,quality exclusives.

For one you,are taking content out of text again. Read the key work in front of,what youve highlighted... And 3rd party support inst considered as a,good reason to buy one. First off both consoles have a great 3rd party,lineup and for the most part both games will look, play and perform the,same on both or even all 3 consoles. Im looking at how devoted they are,to a in house lineup.... The only games I really have a problem with,from MS are Fable, KOTOR (dont care for any Star Wars game anyway),,Conker maybe a few others but they do make some great games. The,problem is thier lack of software and comiment in house of games....,Anyway again I have to state that you need to take a Comprehension,class because you dont comprehend what I say, you take it out of,context, or assume from another opinion of mine that I must be bashing,your precious 360...
Message 42 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 03/20/2003
Offline
12042 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005


Llama Herder wrote:

iLoveBoth wrote:
 
But,as I said, HD DVD is hitting the market first, with nearly the same,storage capacity, and for a cheaper price. Plus, since its the holiday,season many people will be buying those kind of things for their,husbands and dads. So, as PS3 may boost sells, HD DVD is going to have,the upper hand with all its features and cheaper price.


Not really.  People will have to spend $1000 on a HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD.  I think most people would buy a PS3 and go with Blu-Ray instead.

Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray,to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI,output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model,number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

  • HD-DVD player
  • HDMI output
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD

The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html



And,thats the reason we arent seeing HD-DVD in next gen. Microsoft even,steered away from a sure hit because HD-DVD is too new and expensive.,And of course Sony has stayed away because its been off developing the,cell and Blue Ray technology... But given the fact that HD-DVD is so,new its at the top of the Price Chain its far from realistic not only,because its new but because of the price that comes with a new format,like itself. At some point the forgotten Laserdisc was this costly and,DVD was about $1,000 as well when it was first introduced...  And,having Blue Ray in PS3 will help boost production of it and put it far,more homes than even HD-DVD will be in within the next 3 years....
Message 43 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2002
Offline
8277 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:
,
,
,iLoveBoth wrote:
  ,
But as I said, HD DVD is hitting the market first, with nearly the same storage capacity, and for a cheaper price. Plus, since its the holiday season many people will be buying those kind of things for their husbands and dads. So, as PS3 may boost sells, HD DVD is going to have the upper hand with all its features and cheaper price.

,
,
,

Not really.  People will have to spend $1000 on a HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD.  I think most people would buy a PS3 and go with Blu-Ray instead.

,

Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

,
  • ,
  • HD-DVD player
  • ,
  • HDMI output
  • ,
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD
,

The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

,

,
,
And thats the reason we arent seeing HD-DVD in next gen. Microsoft even steered away from a sure hit because HD-DVD is too new and expensive. And of course Sony has stayed away because its been off developing the cell and Blue Ray technology... But given the fact that HD-DVD is so new its at the top of the Price Chain its far from realistic not only because its new but because of the price that comes with a new format like itself. At some point the forgotten Laserdisc was this costly and DVD was about $1,000 as well when it was first introduced...  And having Blue Ray in PS3 will help boost production of it and put it far more homes than even HD-DVD will be in within the next 3 years....
,

,
,
Ya, no one is gonna spend hundres or thousands of dollars just to watch HD-DVD movies.  But everyone who buys a PS3 will have a Blu-Ray player.  So in the end Blu-Ray will be more popular compared to HD-DVD.
,
Message 44 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/27/2002
Offline
184 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005
I care, It makes no sense not too. There has to be a way to store updates, music, and all the usual stuff that I can do on my xbox. ps3 is gonna lag behind but don't forget about that state of the art bluray drive, everyones gotta have that, not,
Message 45 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 04/22/2005
Offline
254 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005
I really could care less... I wouldn't mind if it was an optional type thing you know? Like 2 types of playstation 3.
,
,Version A
,
,Version B
,
Message 46 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/11/2004
Offline
3003 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:
,
,
,iLoveBoth wrote:
  ,
But as I said, HD DVD is hitting the market first, with nearly the same storage capacity, and for a cheaper price. Plus, since its the holiday season many people will be buying those kind of things for their husbands and dads. So, as PS3 may boost sells, HD DVD is going to have the upper hand with all its features and cheaper price.

,
,
,

Not really.  People will have to spend $1000 on a HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD.  I think most people would buy a PS3 and go with Blu-Ray instead.

,

Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

,
  • ,
  • HD-DVD player
  • ,
  • HDMI output
  • ,
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD
,

The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

,

,
,
And thats the reason we arent seeing HD-DVD in next gen. Microsoft even steered away from a sure hit because HD-DVD is too new and expensive. And of course Sony has stayed away because its been off developing the cell and Blue Ray technology... But given the fact that HD-DVD is so new its at the top of the Price Chain its far from realistic not only because its new but because of the price that comes with a new format like itself. At some point the forgotten Laserdisc was this costly and DVD was about $1,000 as well when it was first introduced...  And having Blue Ray in PS3 will help boost production of it and put it far more homes than even HD-DVD will be in within the next 3 years....
,

,
,
Ya, no one is gonna spend hundres or thousands of dollars just to watch HD-DVD movies.  But everyone who buys a PS3 will have a Blu-Ray player.  So in the end Blu-Ray will be more popular compared to HD-DVD.
,

,
,

Except for the fact that a company can either use their existing product lines to make HD-DVD movies or revamp their entire lines at a large cost to make blu ray movies.  The latter isn't exactly attractive to anyone BUT sony.  Also, much of the technology involved in making a high def movie disc player is the exact same as CD and DVD players.  The price will drop DRAMATICALLY in a very short period of time.  CD players were over a grand when they came out and stayed very expensive for years.  DVD players were over a grand and dropped to 300 bucks in less than a year because much of the tech had been refined for CD players for years already.  HD-DVD players will follow the same path, and I'll bet they're cheaper than a PS3 by the time it debuts in the US.  The first shots fired in this war already indicate support is leaning towards HD-DVD as the first HD movies coming out are coming out for it EXCLUSIVELY.  Sony could win the war, but based on their past history of formats I wouldn't bet one penny on it.,
Message 47 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2002
Offline
8277 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Steppy76 wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:
,
,
,iLoveBoth wrote:
  ,
But as I said, HD DVD is hitting the market first, with nearly the same storage capacity, and for a cheaper price. Plus, since its the holiday season many people will be buying those kind of things for their husbands and dads. So, as PS3 may boost sells, HD DVD is going to have the upper hand with all its features and cheaper price.

,
,
,

Not really.  People will have to spend $1000 on a HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD.  I think most people would buy a PS3 and go with Blu-Ray instead.

,

Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

,
  • ,
  • HD-DVD player
  • ,
  • HDMI output
  • ,
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD
,

The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

,

,
,
And thats the reason we arent seeing HD-DVD in next gen. Microsoft even steered away from a sure hit because HD-DVD is too new and expensive. And of course Sony has stayed away because its been off developing the cell and Blue Ray technology... But given the fact that HD-DVD is so new its at the top of the Price Chain its far from realistic not only because its new but because of the price that comes with a new format like itself. At some point the forgotten Laserdisc was this costly and DVD was about $1,000 as well when it was first introduced...  And having Blue Ray in PS3 will help boost production of it and put it far more homes than even HD-DVD will be in within the next 3 years....
,

,
,
Ya, no one is gonna spend hundres or thousands of dollars just to watch HD-DVD movies.  But everyone who buys a PS3 will have a Blu-Ray player.  So in the end Blu-Ray will be more popular compared to HD-DVD.
,

,
,

Except for the fact that a company can either use their existing product lines to make HD-DVD movies or revamp their entire lines at a large cost to make blu ray movies.  The latter isn't exactly attractive to anyone BUT sony.  Also, much of the technology involved in making a high def movie disc player is the exact same as CD and DVD players.  The price will drop DRAMATICALLY in a very short period of time.  CD players were over a grand when they came out and stayed very expensive for years.  DVD players were over a grand and dropped to 300 bucks in less than a year because much of the tech had been refined for CD players for years already.  HD-DVD players will follow the same path, and I'll bet they're cheaper than a PS3 by the time it debuts in the US.  The first shots fired in this war already indicate support is leaning towards HD-DVD as the first HD movies coming out are coming out for it EXCLUSIVELY.  Sony could win the war, but based on their past history of formats I wouldn't bet one penny on it. ,

,
,
,


Consumers > all. 

,

According to Toshiba, HD-DVD player will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.  PS3 is coming in spring 2005.

,

Do you think consumers are gonna spend $1,000 on a HD-DVD player instead of spending $300-$400 on a PS3 that includes a Blu-Ray player?

,
Message 48 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/11/2004
Offline
3003 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,Steppy76 wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:
,
,
,iLoveBoth wrote:
  ,
But as I said, HD DVD is hitting the market first, with nearly the same storage capacity, and for a cheaper price. Plus, since its the holiday season many people will be buying those kind of things for their husbands and dads. So, as PS3 may boost sells, HD DVD is going to have the upper hand with all its features and cheaper price.

,
,
,

Not really.  People will have to spend $1000 on a HD-DVD player to watch HD-DVD.  I think most people would buy a PS3 and go with Blu-Ray instead.

,

Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

,
  • ,
  • HD-DVD player
  • ,
  • HDMI output
  • ,
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD
,

The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

,

,
,
And thats the reason we arent seeing HD-DVD in next gen. Microsoft even steered away from a sure hit because HD-DVD is too new and expensive. And of course Sony has stayed away because its been off developing the cell and Blue Ray technology... But given the fact that HD-DVD is so new its at the top of the Price Chain its far from realistic not only because its new but because of the price that comes with a new format like itself. At some point the forgotten Laserdisc was this costly and DVD was about $1,000 as well when it was first introduced...  And having Blue Ray in PS3 will help boost production of it and put it far more homes than even HD-DVD will be in within the next 3 years....
,

,
,
Ya, no one is gonna spend hundres or thousands of dollars just to watch HD-DVD movies.  But everyone who buys a PS3 will have a Blu-Ray player.  So in the end Blu-Ray will be more popular compared to HD-DVD.
,

,
,

Except for the fact that a company can either use their existing product lines to make HD-DVD movies or revamp their entire lines at a large cost to make blu ray movies.  The latter isn't exactly attractive to anyone BUT sony.  Also, much of the technology involved in making a high def movie disc player is the exact same as CD and DVD players.  The price will drop DRAMATICALLY in a very short period of time.  CD players were over a grand when they came out and stayed very expensive for years.  DVD players were over a grand and dropped to 300 bucks in less than a year because much of the tech had been refined for CD players for years already.  HD-DVD players will follow the same path, and I'll bet they're cheaper than a PS3 by the time it debuts in the US.  The first shots fired in this war already indicate support is leaning towards HD-DVD as the first HD movies coming out are coming out for it EXCLUSIVELY.  Sony could win the war, but based on their past history of formats I wouldn't bet one penny on it. ,

,
,
,


Consumers > all. 

,

According to Toshiba, HD-DVD player will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.  PS3 is coming in spring 2005.

,

Do you think consumers are gonna spend $1,000 on a HD-DVD player instead of spending $300-$400 on a PS3 that includes a Blu-Ray player?

,

,
,
,

If there aren't any bluray movies on the market, some will(the same people who spent 1000 bucks on a progressive scan DVD player a few years ago), and the price will NOT be that high for long and expect stand alone blu ray players to be every bit as expensive.  Also, I said HD-DVD players would be cheaper by the time PS3 hits the US(which I guarantee won't be spring ...even though they should)...sony always caters to their home market first, and there is no indication of them changing their past practices as they've so far repeated every other practice. 

,

 

,

BTW, HD-DVD is late 2005, as in the end of this year, the PS3 is launching in 2006. 

,

Message Edited by Steppy76 on 06-09-2005 11:13 PM

Message 49 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/27/2002
Offline
184 posts
 

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005
I think only the diehards will buy either format. The old dvd format is still going strong and I for one don't really care about bluray or hddvd,
Message 50 of 76 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes