Ghost of Sparta
15686 posts

Re: How many people care if the PS3 come with a hard drive?

Jun 10, 2005

Gonad wrote:
Load times suck big,donkey balls.  That was the worst part about having a PS2. ,Now developers won't use the HDD to eliminate load times like on,Halo and other Xbox games.

Not to mention download content and patches...

ah,come on, they arnt that bad, there are tons of games on the ps2 with no,loading times at all, and there are alot of games which load really,fast. But a game like halo would take alot to load on the ps2 (given,that if it could run it) so having a hdd would be good, but its not the,end of the world if you dont have one. Patches can be made from the,game servers, ratchet and clank did this, they fixed all the bugs,without having you download anything.
Message 61 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6621 posts

Jun 10, 2005

Steppy76 wrote:

No, but if you demanded that at the very least Sony gave you what the competition did, then don't you think the vast majority of those 73 PS2 games would have used a HD in some way(not to mention you'd have saved a few bucks on memory cards alone). 

Yes and no. Even with a HDD I would have still bought at least one memory card for the portablity. But I'm sure you know it's a fact of life that it's rare to come across a company that supplies you with everything you want. Now, I can petition to ANY company for ANY reason and NOT always get what I want. That's also a fact in life. Also, I don't live in a fantasy land by imagining what might heve been done to the PS2 games I have IF they were to have HDD support. I take things for what thay are. I like it, I buy into it. I don't, I don't buy into it. It's usually that simple. Now, I can take your same logic and apply it to the game variety and selection of the Xbox console and demand to Microsoft that the Xbox have a library as vast and will appeal to me as much as with the PS2 as my primary console. But guess what? From my research, I can't come up with a third of the Xbox titles to compare to my PS2 library. So it's a relative issue is which for me the selction of games that appeal to me far outtweights not having HDD support. Can you grasp the concept that different people have different opinions and preferrences? Sorry that I've made a point that's been proven since the dawn of console games.

Message Edited by Jordahn on 06-10-2005 07:48 AM

Message 62 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3003 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,Jordahn wrote:
,Steppy76 wrote:

No, but if you demanded that at the very least Sony gave you what the competition did, then don't you think the vast majority of those 73 PS2 games would have used a HD in some way(not to mention you'd have saved a few bucks on memory cards alone). 

Yes and no. Even with a HDD I would have still bought at least one memory card for the portablity. But I'm sure you know it's a fact of life that it's rare to come across a company that supplies you with everything you want. Now, I can petition to ANY company for ANY reason and NOT always get what I want. That's also a fact in life. Also, I don't live in a fantasy land by imagining what might heve been done to the games I have IF they were to have HDD support. I take things for what thay are. I like it, I buy into it. I don't, I don't buy into it. It's usually that simple. Now, I can take your same logic and apply it to the game variety and selection of the Xbox console and demand to Microsoft that the Xbox have a library as vast and will appeal to me as much as with the PS2 as my primary console. But guess what? From my research, I can't come up with a third of the Xbox titles to compare to my PS2 library. So it's a relative issue is which for me the selction of games that appeal to me far outtweights not having HDD support. Can you grasp the concept that different people have different opinions and preferrences? Sorry that I've made a point that's been proven since the dawn of console games.

Did I ever tell you to get an Xbox?  No.  Do I still think it's stupid to support a company that tries to gouge the consumer in every way they can at nearly every turn.  Yes.  Would the inclusion of a HD have had any impact on the library of games you like for the PS2?  No.  Just out of curiousity, what are the games you have for the PS2...as I've found about the same number of games that appeal to me for all the systems(well, not quite as many on the gamecube...but still a fair amount). 

Oh, about the library question...If MS or nintendo had the market leadership, they'd get the games the same way Sony does...if a publisher is gonna be exclusive they tend to go for the biggest piece of the pie. 

Message 63 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
41471 posts

Jun 10, 2005
*raises hand*
(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
*New Game* Infinite Undiscovery
*New DVD* Protest The Hero
*New CD* System Divide - The Conscious Sedation

(((())))))))))))))))))==================================-----
LoTGD ~!~ RBN ~!~ got xheevos? ~!~ XNA Club ~!~ ** PS Past #1** ~!~ twitter
Message 64 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6621 posts

Jun 10, 2005

Steppy76 wrote:

Did I ever tell you to get an Xbox?  No.  Do I still think it's stupid to support a company that tries to gouge the consumer in every way they can at nearly every turn.  Yes.  Would the inclusion of a HD have had any impact on the library of games you like for the PS2?  No.  Just out of curiousity, what are the games you have for the PS2...as I've found about the same number of games that appeal to me for all the systems(well, not quite as many on the gamecube...but still a fair amount). 

Oh, about the library question...If MS or nintendo had the market leadership, they'd get the games the same way Sony does...if a publisher is gonna be exclusive they tend to go for the biggest piece of the pie. 

I never said you told me to buy an Xbox, but I intend to eventually anyway. I did mention the Xbox as an example as to why the PS2 is my primary console of choice. And if you feel SONY is gouging "the consumer in every way they can at nearly every turn" you have that right to feel that way, but it's no different from those who aren't supporting Microsoft because they are a monopoly by using anti-competitive/pro-monopolistic tactics as proven and documented by the United States Department of Justice so let's not get self-rigtheous here. We all have our reasons for doing things so let's keep it at that. And about my PS2 library of games, it would be much easier for me to say and explain that my top five publishers in order from 1st to 5th are Konami, Koei, Namco, SONY and Capcom. Of the titles I like that they publish only a small handful are multi-console, and even within those I'm better off with the PS2 versions like the Dynasty Warrior series because the XL versions are PS2 exclusive, and they take advantage of the original versions' saved data ( Dynasty Warrior 3 to Dynasty Warrior 3XL & Dynasty Warrior 4 to Dynasty Warrior 4XL.) And of course publishers are going to go for the biggest piece of the pie for exclusives. Just that coincedently the far majority of games I want are on the PS2, and not having a HDD in the PS2 (or any other console I've owned) did not prevent me from playing and enjoying these games.

Message Edited by Jordahn on 06-10-2005 12:46 PM

Message 65 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8277 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,Gonad wrote:
Load times suck big donkey balls.  That was the worst part about having a PS2.  Now developers won't use the HDD to eliminate load times like on Halo and other Xbox games.

Developers had found a way to eliminate load time without using the HDD.  Just look at GOW and Jak.,
Message 66 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3867 posts

Jun 10, 2005
me and tens of thousands of other people
And Shepards We Shall Be
For Thee, My Lord, For Thee
Power Hath Descend Forth,
From Thy Hand, That Our Feet
May Swiftly Carry Out Thy Command.
So We Shall Flow A River Forth To Thee,
And Teeming With Souls Shall I Ever Be,
In Nomine Patris, El Fili,
et Spiritus Sancti
Message 67 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12042 posts

Jun 10, 2005

Llama Herder wrote:

Gonad wrote:
Load,times suck big donkey balls.  That was the worst part about having,a PS2.  Now developers won't use the HDD to eliminate load,times like on Halo and other Xbox games.

Developers had found a way to eliminate load time without using the HDD.  Just look at GOW and Jak.

GTASmiley FrustratedA,as well. But most defintely a hdd isnt needed to cut download times.,And xbox even proves this. I can name alot of games that have lengthy,dowload times on xbox. And I can mention the fact that Fable has a load,sceen every 2 minutes to enter a new mini map... Im no so sure Halo,uses the hdd for load times though. Now correct me if Im wrong but they,use alot of Check Points with streaming level design like GTA. With or,without a hdd load times can be drastically reduced or eliminated but,this will rest in the developers hands.... But yes without an hdd there,would be no patches and downloadable content. Patches only curb,cheating or glitches in online play wich is great and can ensure that,cheaters keep getting cut out of the system. As for download content I,really havent seen alot that makes me go ,this is great and a must have. Sure theres alot of good content but the,most Id worry about w/o a hdd is no patches and custom soundtracks,(granted i prob missed a couple)...
Message 68 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9342 posts

Jun 10, 2005
Patches are possible , ut thew would have to be done through memory card like socom or killzone

sarges24@hotmail.com wrote:

Llama Herder wrote:

Gonad wrote:
Load,times suck big donkey balls.  That was the worst part about having,a PS2.  Now developers won't use the HDD to eliminate load,times like on Halo and other Xbox games.

Developers had found a way to eliminate load time without using the HDD.  Just look at GOW and Jak.

GTASmiley FrustratedA,as well. But most defintely a hdd isnt needed to cut download times.,And xbox even proves this. I can name alot of games that have lengthy,dowload times on xbox. And I can mention the fact that Fable has a load,sceen every 2 minutes to enter a new mini map... Im no so sure Halo,uses the hdd for load times though. Now correct me if Im wrong but they,use alot of Check Points with streaming level design like GTA. With or,without a hdd load times can be drastically reduced or eliminated but,this will rest in the developers hands.... But yes without an hdd there,would be no patches and downloadable content. Patches only curb,cheating or glitches in online play wich is great and can ensure that,cheaters keep getting cut out of the system. As for download content I,really havent seen alot that makes me go ,this is great and a must have. Sure theres alot of good content but the,most Id worry about w/o a hdd is no patches and custom soundtracks,(granted i prob missed a couple)...

However, this is actually part of my sig.
Message 69 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4437 posts

Jun 10, 2005
meh, ever since Xbox 1, memory cards seem sooo obsolete.
Message 70 of 76 (10 Views)
0 Likes