May 14 2013
By: oantu First Son 5 posts

How to port forward a ps3 (while the pc is also p.forwarded)

10 replies 137 views Edited May 14, 2013

Hello

i was wondering how could i port forward my ps3 that is using a different ip than my pc (DHCP).

at the moment i set a static and similar ip for both 192.168.1.xxx  and its working . tough when i play online one of the machines has to be shut down.

obviously port forwarding more than a single IP isnt possible on my router.

is there a way to run both while they have different and forwarded ip's?

also i fiddled alot with the ps3 network settings and as long as i do it manually the Upnp always stays "not available" even tough it is activated through the router.

cheers.

Message 1 of 11 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

Re: How to port forward a ps3 (while the pc is also p.forwarded)

May 14, 2013

oantu wrote:

obviously port forwarding more than a single IP isnt possible on my router. 

What make and model of router is this?

Also, are you manually forwarding ports instead of using DMZ? Have you tried assigning a different static IP to the PS3 or PC?

Message 2 of 11 (131 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 14, 2013

TP-Link WR841N

Yeah. opened ports for the PC .

well if i assign a different static ip for the ps3 i could not port forward it (pc's ip takes the spot)

If id made a new static ip for the ps3 and activated DMZ on the router settings , while inserting the new IP of the ps3,  would it solve the forwarding issue?

Message 3 of 11 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

May 14, 2013

oantu wrote:

TP-Link WR841N

I also use a TP-Link WR841N, though I have the slightly older v7.2. I run many computers on it at the same time, and a PS3 and none of them have any IP conflicts. Try assigning your PS3 to a static IP lower than 100. (For example, my PS3 is 192.168.1.76)

Do you rely on DMZ only to forward ports? Have you used Virtual Servers at all?

DMZ forwards all ports to a single device, while Virtual Servers can assign only the needed ports to the PS3. You can then manually define which ports go where, allowing you to just forward the needed ports to the PS3 (which isn't a lot).

Message 4 of 11 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 14, 2013

not using dmz just Virtual Servers. the ip assigned in the virtual servers section is th PC's

the ps3 got a different one and thats my issue. (to solve it i changed it to be the same as the PC's  in my case both end in 100)

so if i set a new IP for the ps3, lets say 192.168.1.55, enable the dmz via the router settings and insert the ps3's new static ip ,that ive just set ,will it solve the issue? or there is more to it?

because from what i understand after i set a new ip for the ps3 and enable the said ip in the DMZ section, i would have to go to the virtual server section and insert the ports needed along with the new aformentioned IP. that is conflicting with my PC's own forwarded ports.  

am i getting it wrong?

thank you for your time and info!

Message 5 of 11 (108 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

May 15, 2013
Setting the ps3 to a DMZ host will be the easiest way to fix your problem.
My PSN
Message 6 of 11 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

May 15, 2013

oantu wrote:

so if i set a new IP for the ps3, lets say 192.168.1.55, enable the dmz via the router settings and insert the ps3's new static ip ,that ive just set ,will it solve the issue? or there is more to it?

Yes, that seems to be the best way to solve it as of now.

Assign a different IP to the PS3, then set it on DMZ.

Do you actually need Virtual Servers on the PC? Unless you are hosting games or running server apps, it should work fine on regular browsing.

Message 7 of 11 (97 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 15, 2013

thank you people for the help.

regarding the virtual servers.. well yeah when i opened specific ports, i noticed the games finds matches online faster. and im not even sure there is a correlation between them in that way. from what i remember forwarding a port will help a host opening a game and connecting people to him not vice versa.

Message 8 of 11 (84 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

May 15, 2013

Use to have same problem when I had bright house lightning I used dmz and kept ports opened. It worked but it also depends on the traffic you have on the router my ps3 was in the bedroom while the router was in the living room.  I would have 5 devices wirelessly going at once though. I switched to verizon fios and the problem was solved.

If you can turn off some devices you are not useing to open up bandwith that may bring some stability or make it to where ps3 takes priority for bandwidth.

all_mittey_donky Trophy Card
Message 9 of 11 (74 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 15, 2013

well atm the ps3 and my pc are connected to the router directley (wired)

i have another computer connected wirelss. (and its on from time to time).

i think its more of an isp issue and global zone ( im from israel)

there are games online that are quite unplayable. mortal kombat for instance.

dark souls is a mess when invaded by NA or SA.. and vice versa.

Message 10 of 11 (69 Views)
0 Likes