Last Guardian
12164 posts

Re: I love Playstation but...

May 31, 2005

,iLoveBoth wrote:
I'm worried that Sony may be up to their same old tricks again. I am of course talking about the huge hype made about the PS2 and the "toy story" like graphics. Supposed 70 million polygons that got decreased to 7 million. Everything they've spoken of so far looks really good on paper, but the fact of the matter is, the PS3 is still vaporware. We have no idea how all these big numbers Sony is throwing out will actually pan out when it's released. They lied last time and it made them millions. There's no reason why they couldn't be again. Don't take this to be anti-sony or pro-microsoft because I love both (see screenname). I also plan to buy both, though I'll most likely wait for PS3 since it'll be around 465 dollars.

There will probably be another long line outside stores waiting to get the PS3, as for me I can wait, or just Pre-order.,
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
400 posts

May 31, 2005
The PS2 was a great system.  Too many people forget that the X-box is newer, THAT and THAT ALONE is why it's more powerful.  The reverse will be true of the PS3, it's being released after the X-Box 360, so it will be more powerful.

It's hard for me to see how Microsoft is going to sell X-Box fans a less powerful system, since the power of the system (and halo) has been the only selling point for X-Box 1.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

May 31, 2005
the ps3 will be at least 400 bucks.,

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
701 posts

May 31, 2005
Im still teetering on wether or not to get it. I think it does look really impressive (minus the controller), but I want to see more PLAYABLE demos before I finally make up my mind. I either plan to get the 360, then wait until the PS3 goes down in price before I buy it; or I'll buy both on their respective launch dates. And of course Im getting a Revolution. Im an old school nintendoian and don't plan to stop supporting them anytime soon. Most of us grew up with Nintendo and I think its really neat that you can play any of the 20,000 Nintendo games on it. Point is, they are all great but like I said, I just dont want Sony to make the mistake of overhyping a product again. I know a lot of people who believe that Killzone demo is real gameplay will be sorely dissapointed now if the final game doesn't look that way. We just have to wait until spring 06 to no for sure.
Oh, and you can stop reading my post now.
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7924 posts

May 31, 2005

iLoveBoth wrote:
I'm worried that,Sony may be up to their same old tricks again. I am of course talking,about the huge hype made about the PS2 and the "toy story" like,graphics. Supposed 70 million polygons that got decreased to 7 million.,Everything they've spoken of so far looks really good on paper, but the,fact of the matter is, the PS3 is still vaporware. We have no idea how,all these big numbers Sony is throwing out will actually pan out when,it's released. They lied last time and it made them millions. There's,no reason why they couldn't be again. Don't take this to be anti-sony,or pro-microsoft because I love both (see screenname). I also plan to,buy both, though I'll most likely wait for PS3 since it'll be around,465 dollars.

Considering that MS beat Sony,in visuals in the last generation, I don't think that Sony can afford,to put false information regarding their system out now. From what I,see, I doubt that the PS3 will have a lowered amount of polygons,,considering that the PS3 GPU will be using a modified version of the,Nvidia G70 - Nvidia's latest GPU. Graphics are really going to be one,key element in this race, and it's definite that Sony cannot afford to,do something like this. I must say that everything right now seems like,vaporware. We basically don't know much about how everything is going,to be in the next generation, until we actually get some concrete,evidence (images of games). It's too early to judge on what the outcome,is going to be like.
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

May 31, 2005

,frankk1972 wrote:
The PS2 was a great system.  Too many people forget that the X-box is newer, THAT and THAT ALONE is why it's more powerful.  The reverse will be true of the PS3, it's being released after the X-Box 360, so it will be more powerful.

It's hard for me to see how Microsoft is going to sell X-Box fans a less powerful system, since the power of the system (and halo) has been the only selling point for X-Box 1.

The selling point of the xbox was the online structure.  The 360 coming out first is a great move,  you know how many parents are going to buy their kids one system this xmas,  and it'll be the 360,  main reason the ps2 sold so well.  Now as far as the adult gamers they most likely will own both.  I know as an adult myself I will pick up the 360 on launch,  and wait on the ps3 to see some in game graphics,  not cgi's,  I mean let's admit it the ps2 was overhyped and underpowered.  If you look at the sales of ps2 vs. xbox in north america they were alot closer,  the asian market put sony over the top as far as sales.
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2750 posts

May 31, 2005

,iLoveBoth wrote:
I'm worried that Sony may be up to their same old tricks again. I am of course talking about the huge hype made about the PS2 and the "toy story" like graphics. Supposed 70 million polygons that got decreased to 7 million. Everything they've spoken of so far looks really good on paper, but the fact of the matter is, the PS3 is still vaporware. We have no idea how all these big numbers Sony is throwing out will actually pan out when it's released. They lied last time and it made them millions. There's no reason why they couldn't be again. Don't take this to be anti-sony or pro-microsoft because I love both (see screenname). I also plan to buy both, though I'll most likely wait for PS3 since it'll be around 465 dollars.

Well the fact is XBOX 360 is also vapor-ware in a few ways. ONE: At this point since the development systems are not even that same as XBOX 360 home units so nothing at is even like 360 is in anybody's hands except MS testing.  TWO: The fact is not even one 'real' XBOX 360 has come off the line yet. Therefore, 360 is still vapor ware...just vaporware that is 100% going to come out...but PS3 is also 100% going to come out so their both in the same grey area. 

That scary thing for MS is they seem slighly behind since depite being merely a few months from launch they were not confident enough to have software running on XB360 units at all in any form at E3.  To spec machinea are just taht to spec tehy have nothing except specs in common with teh rela machines.  THIS IS NOT TO SAY THEY WON'T BE READY!  I have an XB and I like it...so I'm not a biased idiot really.  You have to admit time is running out to work out the kinks, right?  They have to be making units by September 1 if not sooner.  That means the manufacturing line has to be functional by August.  Which means the final testing and shakedown needs to be done in July.  It's June folks MS needs to be getting it butt in gear.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face" - George Orwell

"A word and a blow -- And the blow first!" - Scottish Reiver Saying
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
701 posts

Jun 1, 2005
Yeah one of the reasons the 360 will do well this time is that its going to have a head start on Sony. This was the reason PS2 was so successful. They had about 9 months to themselves in the entire market so they dominated. Xbox will now have the advantage of controlling the market until PS3 is released, which will give it time to really pack some punches with its new franchises. PS3 really can not afford to under deliver this time around because they don't have the advantage of being first to the market.
Oh, and you can stop reading my post now.
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3063 posts

Jun 1, 2005
Well lets take a look at N64 and PS1, N64 had it's head start before PS, later on PS caught to darn quick with what it came with. Now the fact is parents, whats been happnening these yrs with kids shooting up ppl in schools and what not. I'm sure have been affected by what they want there kids to be playing. X-Box has been based on adult games most of the time not only that some of them are computer games as well which cuts prices of even having to buy X-Box 360. PS3 of course were based on adults but there are some not alot of kids games. Something Nintendo has always taken care of but they were always ports  or the PS expect there franchise Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Now take a look at Japans sells with the X-Box, there weren't high for even the whole yrs it's been out. I don't see X-Box getting head start is gonna help them even with the list of games they have coming out don't even interest me some that are coming out are also coming out for PS3 that ppl can wait for later on.

Messing with me is like playing with death.
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Jun 1, 2005

,Cunder wrote:
Well lets take a look at N64 and PS1, N64 had it's head start before PS, later on PS caught to darn quick with what it came with. Now the fact is parents, whats been happnening these yrs with kids shooting up ppl in schools and what not. I'm sure have been affected by what they want there kids to be playing. X-Box has been based on adult games most of the time not only that some of them are computer games as well which cuts prices of even having to buy X-Box 360. PS3 of course were based on adults but there are some not alot of kids games. Something Nintendo has always taken care of but they were always ports  or the PS expect there franchise Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Now take a look at Japans sells with the X-Box, there weren't high for even the whole yrs it's been out. I don't see X-Box getting head start is gonna help them even with the list of games they have coming out don't even interest me some that are coming out are also coming out for PS3 that ppl can wait for later on.

N64 was cartridges and ps1 then was using compact discs lol,  you can't compare that,  as far as kids shooting in high schools,  believe me this goes way beyong video games,  these kids are mentaly disturbed.  And the ps3 han't even released any launch titles as of yet, their graphics chip isn't even finished.  Later on you do realize the ps3 release for spring is for japan,  they always release their first so look for ps3 in fall 2006,  that's a full year.  Sony takes care of their own first then releases to north america,  were like a red headed step child to them,  but we have people that swear by them,  I don't understand that.
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 38 (0 Views)
0 Likes