Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/03/2013
Offline
3317 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

If digital movies and music took over so quickly, then why haven't digital games taken over yet?

Twitter: @XenokingX
Message 31 of 65 (207 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 09/13/2007
Offline
4404 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

DanSD wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

DanSD wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

 

Physical will never die out. There is plenty of room for both formats.

Digital is not the "future."

 


Whether or not physical media (in the form of ROMs) will ever permanently die out (personally, I believe it will), there is no denying that digital is the future.  It happened with music.  It happened with movies.  It happened with TV shows.  Now, it is happening with video games.


 

Yes, It happened with music, but they still sell CDs and in some cases, even Vinyl.

Yes, It happened with movies and TV shows, but they still sell BRDs and DVDs.

 

Digital is still just an option. Not the future. It has not replaced these formats.

Just because there is a generation out there that only downloads music, movies, TV shows, and video games, does not mean the physical format is (or ever will) die.


Physical media is available, but corporate resources are focusing on digital.  It's cheaper (no manufacturing costs) and infinitely more convenient for both consumers and content providers.  Music CD sales have dwindled drastically, while digital music sales have skyrocketed.  Retailers who once thrived on selling music CDs are rapidly shutting down.  The same is happening with DVDs and Blu-ray.  Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy several years ago.  Blockbuster was everywhere.  If consumers preferred physical media, Blockbuster provided it.  Consumers have spoken with their wallet, and the majority prefer digital media (as far as music and TV/movies are concerned).  Corporations will flock to where the money is, and digital is where the money is.  Physical media is available, and will be for years to come.  At the same time, it is dwindling away, as the more convenient, less corporate resource-hungry digital content takes its place.

 

This hasn't occurred, to the same extent, with video games, but it no doubt will.  I'm an early adopter; sometimes this pays off, sometimes it doesn't.  I was an early adopter with both music and movies, and this paid off well.  I am also an early adopter with digital video games.  I have 174 games installed on my PS3, and every one of them is still available on PSN (I know this, because I recently replaced the motherboard on my PS3 and had to redownload all of my lost content).  Digital video games are paying off in similar ways as digital music and movies:  I don't have stacks of games cluttering my entertainment center, leaving room for more accessories; I don't have to search through drawers and stacks of games to find what I'm looking for; I don't have to worry about my discs getting scratched; I can't lose my games; my digital game manuals can't be lost or torn up; if I travel, visit a friend, etc, I can log onto their PS3 and access every single one of my games; I can take my PS3 and anywhere I go, I have 174 games without needing to carry 100+ discs; faster load times.. the convenience is incomparable.

 

I recommend taking the plunge and embracing the benefits of digital media.  If you really prefer physical, you can hold onto it for now, as it will remain a bit longer, but it's only a matter of time before it follows the same fate as any aging technology, and is cut off.


Yes, I am aware that digital music sells more than physical CDs. But, digital music has been around for years now (I witnessed its birth) and CDs have yet to go away. Why? Because artists / record labels know there is still a demand for physical media.

 

As for movies, I don't know about digital sales compared to BRD/DVD sales.

Blockbuster is a poor example. You are now talking rentals, not purchasing.

Blockbuster (and a lot of other video stores) did not go under because of digital.

They went under because of Netflix and Redbox.

 

Netflix allowed people to be lazy and never leave their house. Their movie rentals could just be mailed to them (and eventually streamed.) Then Redboxes drove in the final nail. Who wanted to wait in line at a video store, when they could just pick up a $1 a day movie at a vending machine?

 

 

My point is this: Physical copies are not going anywhere. When I say digital is not the future, I'm saying that it isn't going to make physical media disappear. i.e. how blu-ray killed(killing) DVD killed VHS killed Betamax, etc.

It is an option. Sure, it may continue to grow as the more popular convenient one, but it will not kill physical media.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 32 of 65 (199 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 06/26/2013
Offline
569 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

Actually the more I think about it the more it makes sense to go 90-99% digital for game companies. The market is already split between mobile games and consoles. It's the home console consumer that wants to be able to build a physical library and borrow a copy from a friend.

 

So in the end it's going to be developers and consoles pushing digital exclusives and bonus content to get the consumer to download more often. Of course the ultimate incentive is $$$. I don't think they'll undercut retail prices so the obvious solution would be to offer rewards and redeemable bonus points.


sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 33 of 65 (188 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/25/2012
Offline
891 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

Jul 8, 2013

I used to think digital downloads was stupid and prefer to have my shelves filled with games because it looks cool. I like the manuals and the game art. Fastforward to present day and around 50+ digital games later.

 

1. Some games are digital only. There are some seriously good games on PSN where you just can't buy a hard copy. Those games I buy.

 

2. Classics. I'm not paying $60-$100+ for a Playstation 1 RPG I used to own in the 90s. PSN allows me to pick up some of those games for a ceiling price of $9.99. I've about 12-15 Psone games, 2 PS2 games and 4-5 PSP games downloaded so far. There aren't any retro game stores near me so this helps greatly. Should have never sold my games in the first place!

 

3. For some reason being on the Vita store makes it too easy to just buy a game instead of going to the store. I held out on Persona 4 because I wanted a case and manual. Got the case but inside it was just the game, no manual.

 photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 34 of 65 (166 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 01/09/2011
Offline
1873 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

Jul 8, 2013

I agree with what you say, Physical copies are so awesome.  I enjoy collecting them.  I do not think that digital games will become mainstream untill they are cheap (like steam sales level cheap) and the download/internet speeds improve.  I don't like waiting 4-5 hours to download a game that I just bought.

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 35 of 65 (152 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/08/2013
Offline
3578 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

Jul 8, 2013
I prefer physical copies of games because of the smell when you first open a game and whenever I download a digital copy of a game (excluding titles such as Limbo, the "arcade" games") I rarely play.
Message 36 of 65 (150 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 05/22/2013
Offline
13298 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

Jul 8, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

I used to think digital downloads was stupid and prefer to have my shelves filled with games because it looks cool. I like the manuals and the game art. Fastforward to present day and around 50+ digital games later.

 

1. Some games are digital only. There are some seriously good games on PSN where you just can't buy a hard copy. Those games I buy.

 

2. Classics. I'm not paying $60-$100+ for a Playstation 1 RPG I used to own in the 90s. PSN allows me to pick up some of those games for a ceiling price of $9.99. I've about 12-15 Psone games, 2 PS2 games and 4-5 PSP games downloaded so far. There aren't any retro game stores near me so this helps greatly. Should have never sold my games in the first place!

 

3. For some reason being on the Vita store makes it too easy to just buy a game instead of going to the store. I held out on Persona 4 because I wanted a case and manual. Got the case but inside it was just the game, no manual.


Good points. I understand about paying way too much for older games and for that it's better to get them digitally for a fair price. And it's good for folks who don't have a used game store near them.

smdedspace2.png


Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 37 of 65 (145 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 07/08/2013
Offline
1668 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

Jul 8, 2013
Whether you like it or not, all video games (and all entertainment media for that matter) will turn to digital only in the future. I am neither for or against the Idea. Personally I like having a huge game collection on disc, but digital has its advantages.

I would only buy digital if I was forced to, or if it was cheaper to buy it rather than the physical copy.
Message 38 of 65 (142 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 03/15/2010
Offline
116 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

Jul 8, 2013
we just got to move on as generations with better technology progress. theres some DVD movies out there that you pay $20 and you get the digital code to download and the cover with dvd. but yea I prefer digital so that my 3 year old aint spreading PBJ on my games

† Stand Up And Be Counted †
Message 39 of 65 (134 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 06/21/2011
Offline
646 posts
 

Re: I love opening my $60 game.

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

kingbro1 wrote:

If digital movies and music took over so quickly, then why haven't digital games taken over yet?


Music and movies are more commonplace than video games; naturally, they were affected first.  Netflix streaming wasn't an instant success.  It's been through its ups and downs.  This generation was our introduction to digital console games; next generation is when they really push it.

Message 40 of 65 (117 Views)
Reply
0 Likes