Splicer
59 posts

Re: I'm not paying $120 for you to fix my system

Dec 12, 2012

Who what have thought a hairdryer would have fixed ylod -_-?Now that it works I should trade it in at gamestop..

Message 11 of 43 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Dec 12, 2012

yea that will be very temporary..i would do the gamestop trade in myself,they screw people everyday,it won't hurt them..and anyone who buys it will get a warranty with it..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 12 of 43 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Dec 12, 2012

Yeah, I called and it's $130 trade in credit.

Message 13 of 43 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1742 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

a hairdryer????? what'd you do get it wet? lol And like the other guy said, a game freezing is not going to fry the power supply or w/e else caused the YLOD.... doesnt' matter how many idiots playing BO2 (that probably know nothing about electronics) says it does.  It's called coincidence, probably would've fried if you were playing My LIttle Pony.  It just so happenes everyone is PLAYING BO2 atm, so during that time everyone who has a PS3 that dies is going to think that game did it.

And I'd be interested to know how many of these people's PS3 is the old fat one that always dies anyway.

THere's another possibilty I just thought of that people probably arent' thinking. If all these "fried" PS3s are connected by wire and not wireless... it's possible a surge fried it. Regular power strips dont' cut it anymore, and in my experience it seems we're MORE LIKELY today (if you have upgraded your tv/net/phone service to U-Verse or Comcast or Direct TV etc etc) to have surges come in the house through THEIR lines and travel through the house via the coax and ethernet connections. I'm going to copy/paste a review on a UPS battery backup I got this summer off amazon in order to really explain it w/o typing a book (again):

I ordered 2 CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD..... I have a really old one of these
(Cyberpower as well....big, heavy tan block type... the 900 AVR 500 watts) and
it's lasted like 15 years or more. In fact last year it stopped a surge from a
lightning bolt hitting the HOUSE from blowing up this desktop pc (although the
bolt blew up EVERYTHING ELSE in the house that was on (air conditioner too). The
batteries are long since dead but it still stops surges. I've had a couple more
things get blown in smaller storms this summer...... and these are just normal
storms... I live in Miami. Nothing in our house ever got blown up from a storm
in 20 years (we used to have regular comcast cable) until we got U-verse (and
also some of our neighbors have Comcast Xfinity or Dish, and lately when a storm
blows stuff in one houuse it happens at every neighbor we have... ten houses
down or so both ways down the street. Everyone's modem blows, or even more
equipment on top of that (I'm starting to think the surges are coming through
the coaxial cable lines from the box in the front of the neighborhood or
something, and since U-verse being installed the surges are getting into the
ethernet lines too..... hence EVERYTHING blowing up last year with the bolt, not
to mention a few minor surges after the bolt hit [months at a time not right
after] kept blowing things connected to Ethernet / U-Verse in one way or
another.). So I just got two of these CP1000AVRLCD, one for my entertainment
center (tv, ps3, PS2, vcr, u-verse receiver, stereo receiver), and one for the
living room (my mom's pc & monitor & printer & speakers, the u-verse
DVR and gateway router, 40" crt TV, and vcr)..... even plugged all U-verse
coaxial cable and ethernet lines into these 2 first THEN to the
router/dvr/receiver/pc's and they're working fine. Very easy to set up, if you
know what you're doing. Have to wait for the next big storm to see how they
stand up to surges (which were possibly coming through the coaxial cable lines
from the static electricty floating around from the storms/lightning) but I have
tested the battery's power. All these things plugged in (tv, PS3, PS2, u-verse
receiver on mine are plugged into the battery, TV, U-verse DVR (U-verse's router
has it's own battery backup), PC and monitor are plugged into the battery on my
mom's Cyberpower UPS) and neither one is using more then half the load capacity
and 8-16 minutes backup time with all of it on. As long as they work as well as
my old one under my desk in stopping surges (remember.. stopped a friggin
lightning bolt from frying my desktop pc as well), these things should work VERY
well. Regular power strips / surge strips just don't cut it anymore.

I
only have one problem with these at the moment. The LED power light is insanely
bright. Lol I took somne blue painter's tape, cut a circle out of a strip of it
the same size as the button, then PUT that circle on another strip of tape and
cut around it, making a double layer, then stuck it over the button. Effectively
cut the brightness by about half, so now it's a soft glow and not a blinding
glare with the lights all off.

UPDATE 9/2/12: Well these things have
worked FLAWLESSLY since I got them. Huricane Issac blew by and there were a few
SHORT outtages (couple minutes), and we've had our share of power failures/blips
since I got these. Probably more then our fair share..... They havent' failed
once. Yet to have a lightning bolt hit the house again to really test them (like
my old one stopped a bolt's surge) but I honestly dont' want to test it THAT
much ever again. lmao

Message 14 of 43 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10198 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Cobra_GT5000 wrote:

How is it my fault that Black Ops 2 gave my PS3 YLOD?I called Sony expecting them to fix this free.They told me to pay $120 dollars, which is BS.Not to mention my Black Ops 2 disc is stuck in the system.What kind of service is this?They know Black Ops 2 is break numerous PS3's and they expect us to pay $120?I about feed up with gaming in general, first my xbox Rrod then I switch to PS3 for this.I can truly say a Nintendo system never broke on me ever.I'm screwed out of a $400 dollar system and a $60 dollar game.

Is the ps3 still under warrantee?   if not dont expect to get your console fixed for free

>

Message 15 of 43 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Dec 13, 2012

But it's just stupid that the system wasn't recalled for ylod, it's not a buyers fault that they put little thermal paste.A customer shouldn't have to put their ps3 in a oven to freaking fix it.I can understand if I dropped or threw it across the room and they refused to fix it.At least xbox had a recall for rrod.They asked me for a reciept, I got it for a gift for Christmas 5 years ago and who keeps up with recipets for that long?By all means if someone with a fat ps3 says they still have their recipet prove it.

Message 16 of 43 (103 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Dec 13, 2012

A PS3 is not different than any other manmade device - it'll break down eventually. Companies offer warranties to cover your for a set period of time. Most consumer electronics is from 1-3  years. 

You're out of warranty so you pay to get it repaired. In warranty you get a refurbished unit on Sony's dime. 

Welcome to the real world kid. 

Message 17 of 43 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Dec 13, 2012

First of all I'm not a kid, I'm 21.Also I work at Target in customer service, so I know all about returns and warranties.I just find it funny that I've been gaming every since I was a kid and none of my console or handhelds have ever broke until I gotten a 360 and a PS3.Funny that my old snes  and other systems still work to this day.I would at least expect a system to work 10 years flawlessly without breaking.It just seems this generation you'll be lucky to get 3 years without replacing or sending in a console.But hey, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a drama queen, I actually grew up when gaming wasn't about failing consoles and patches for half assed broken games.But go ahead and defend Microsoft and Sony, its not like they're after our best interest as shown this generation.It's not like it's a car that requires regular maintenance.So much for that minium 10 year life cycle Sony was boosting about.

Message 18 of 43 (93 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Cobra_GT5000 wrote:

First of all I'm not a kid, I'm 21.Also I work at Target in customer service, so I know all about returns and warranties.I just find it funny that I've been gaming every since I was a kid and none of my console or handhelds have ever broke until I gotten a 360 and a PS3.Funny that my old snes  and other systems still work to this day.I would at least expect a system to work 10 years flawlessly without breaking.It just seems this generation you'll be lucky to get 3 years without replacing or sending in a console.But hey, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a drama queen, I actually grew up when gaming wasn't about failing consoles and patches for half assed broken games.But go ahead and defend Microsoft and Sony, its not like they're after our best interest as shown this generation.It's not like it's a car that requires regular maintenance.So much for that minium 10 year life cycle Sony was boosting about.

I used to have a link to a really good article on Wired about technology and reliabilty. I won't try to rehash it here as I wouldn't do the article justice. But if you're so inclined you can search for articles/information on the topic.

Your gaming consoles of the past still going strong is no surprise (mine are too). But comparing a solid state machine to a modern console isn't 1:1. 

Message 19 of 43 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1742 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

Dude comparing a NES to a PS3 is just stupid. It's like comparing a 2 terrabyte hard drive to a floppy disk (the big  FLOPPY one). LITERALLY (NES games were literally like a floppy cartridge)..... the NES CAN"T die unless you take a baseball bat to it........ Some electronics today just fail...... and some don't. I must be lucky, mine never do. Then again i take my stuff apart and clean them out on occasion (including the PC I built in '01 that STILL blows half of today's off the shelves). So you're wrong on that too, you DO have to do maintenence on electronics like this. As in take the cover off and clean it out (dust and whatnot).

And seriously stop whining.... it lasted FIVE YEARS, so apparently you ALSO had a FAT PS3 that's notorious for overheating AND DYING. Be glad it lasted this long but if you expect Sony to fix it for free after THIS long you're an idiot. Do yourself a favor and stop talking.

Message 20 of 43 (76 Views)
0 Likes